Jordan Spieth - Is he a choker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
It appears to me that his weakness is his driving - a good number of times he seems to suffer from the pushes and pulls and because of the way the US courses are set up driving it 40 yards wide doesn't matter because there is no rough - and that's where his recovery and putting bails him out and very well

If him and McIlroy are both at the top of the game in the last round going to the tenth tee then I would put my money on McIlroy - for me he is head and shoulders above everyone and dont think Spieth would be able to handle it and start chasing drives causing more errors
Only time will tell of course, spieth does appear to have done a bit of technical work tightening up a few loose ends over the winter and is hitting it really solid both with the driver and irons. I honestly think he is a better all round player than Rory, Rory on his week is as good as anybody but is very streaky and by the standards of his peers has a relatively poor short game mainly masked by his extraordinary ability tee to green but he can't grind out a score like some guys can his head goes down and he makes excuses ala toothache at the Honda classic lol breaking clubs at British open lol throwing clubs into water lol you won't see spieth doing that sh*t he's a very level headed guy with a huge amount of ability, he knows how to get it done and I think when all is said and done out of the current 'top' players he will be the most prolific in regular tour events and in the majors. He travelled to play in the Australian open etc at the tail end of last year so not sure where your going with that statement.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hasn't Spieth won in Australia multiple times?

Yep fair point - was more thinking of not coming over to the UK or ET events where I believe you can't get away with driving it so far offline as much as he does.

He is a bit like Faldo who as a golfer watching him was dull to watch , extremely skillful as a golfer but not someone who you would make sure you tuned in to watch.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally hope Rory becomes the greatest player ever, still doesn't make Spieth dull.
Rory won't come close his short game is simply not in the ball park. He can't grind out scores and let's his frustration get the better of him, can certainly see him winning 8or 9 majors but he's not GOAT material, the whole package just isn't there.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry mate, that's not right, they are Golfers first and foremost, people go to watch the best in the world play golf, what is the correct amount of time to play a shot? If you start telling Spieth to play quicker it will impact on his game and who suffers? Everyone imo, we don't want the best in the world hacking courses up just so it speeds up.

You know what you get with certain players and to put Spieth down because he's not as fast as some or smiles as much as Beef is pathetic, I'd imagine Beef would happily swap places with Spieth in an instant, it's a sport not a game show.

As for the comments about Spieth not having the bottle over the last 6 holes with a small lead, get over yourselves 😂😂😂😂, he's boring when destroying fields and bottles it when close, 23 yrs old, 2 Majors, yer right.

He's already choked at 2 Masters when it was tight. He also bottled the Open championship when chasing 3 majors in a row. Yes he can take a field apart over 54 holes and grind it out for a final 18 when he has plenty shots spare but can he do it neck and neck up the last few holes when tight??? I'm not so sure he can just yet.

D

Deleted member 16999

He's already choked at 2 Masters when it was tight. He also bottled the Open championship when chasing 3 majors in a row. Yes he can take a field apart over 54 holes and grind it out for a final 18 when he has plenty shots spare but can he do it neck and neck up the last few holes when tight??? I'm not so sure he can just yet.
That could be down to age mate, he wasn't the first and he won't be the last, only time will tell, if he'd of won those 3 more Majors the talk would be all about if he'd be the greatest ever player and if he'd break records.
Sometimes I think we can be a bit overly critical when you could argue it's not been as tight at the top for many a year.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you for real? He's 23 won 2 majors 9 pga tour events, down the stretch I'd put money on him outlasting Rory, dj, day all day long because along as he's on the green the guy is a threat you can't say that for them. Last year he simply wasn't swinging the club well and it caught up with him under pressure but i wouldn't say he bottled it he simply wasn't playing as well as he was scoring, I would say Rory has 'bottled' more tournaments than spieth and dj and day certainly have. Where we're these guys at 23, how many tournaments had Rory won at 23?

D

Deleted member 15344

Are you for real? He's 23 won 2 majors 9 pga tour events, down the stretch I'd put money on him outlasting Rory, dj, day all day long because along as he's on the green the guy is a threat you can't say that for them. Last year he simply wasn't swinging the club well and it caught up with him under pressure but i wouldn't say he bottled it he simply wasn't playing as well as he was scoring, I would say Rory has 'bottled' more tournaments than spieth and dj and day certainly have. Where we're these guys at 23, how many tournaments had Rory won at 23?

Its an opinion - thats all just a different opinion , thats the good thing about this place - everyone has varying opinions on all matter of things and Vals is based on factual evidence.

At 24 Rory had Four majors under his belt and one away from a career grand slam having battled in the back 9 to overcame both Mickleson and Fowler. When Speith does that then ill say he has the bottle to do it when there is pressure from some of the best players in the world.

D

Deleted member 16999

Its an opinion - thats all just a different opinion , thats the good thing about this place - everyone has varying opinions on all matter of things and Vals is based on factual evidence.

At 24 Rory had Four majors under his belt and one away from a career grand slam having battled in the back 9 to overcame both Mickleson and Fowler. When Speith does that then ill say he has the bottle to do it when there is pressure from some of the best players in the world.

Because none of the top players entered when Spieth won his 2 Majors :rofl:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I agree
For me, Rory has "choked" more times than Speith.
He's had more than his fair share of losses that should have been wins.
But not many on here have a bad word to say against Rory.

Great on his day
Has no "B" game, can't win ugly, only when everything going his way, and often throws in the towel when it isn't

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Jordan bottled 2 majors he had his hands on. He also had a share of the lead at the Open with 2 to go and couldn't make the play off. Facts are facts.

To answer your Rory question, 6 PGA wins inc 2 majors and 3 European Tour wins so very similar to Jordan.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree
For me, Rory has "choked" more times than Speith.
He's had more than his fair share of losses that should have been wins.
But not many on here have a bad word to say against Rory.

Great on his day
Has no "B" game, can't win ugly, only when everything going his way, and often throws in the towel when it isn't

I agree Rory can't win ugly, he needs everything to click. His only ugly win was his second PGA victory when he dug in but from memory it was just the once

D

Deleted member 16999

My point on Jordan is when he's neck and neck he had a tendency to blow it. When he's got spare shots he gets it done.
I get your point mate, I was laughing at him suggesting Spieth would only prove himself to
him if he wins 2 more majors in a close contest by age 24, matching Rory, as destroying the best in the World to win 2 Majors already isn't proof enough!
Some pressure on Spieth right there :rofl:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

2013 - Recorded his first win on tour shooting 65 to get into a playoff after starting the day T9 and 4 shots off the lead
2014 - Won Australian Open by 6 shots shooting 63 in the final Round. He started round 4 in a 3-way tie
2015 - Won the Valspar Championship after a 3-way playoff
2015 - Won US Open by a shot having started R4 in a tie for the lead
2015 - Won the John Deere Classic in a playoff (He had a two shot lead after round 3)
2016 - Won the Dean and DeLuca Invitational. He went into the back nine 1 shot back and birdied 6 of the last nine holes to win by 3

I'd say he can close it out when it's tight well enough

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Just because he didn't birdie the 18th at St Andrews on one occasion? Not at all convinced a level par round from the 54 hole lead when the winning score that year ended up being -8 which won by 3 is choking. That was his first Masters as well.

Nowhere near as much of a choke artist as say pre 2015 DJ

You can have last years Masters

Last edited:

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2013 - Recorded his first win on tour shooting 65 to get into a playoff after starting the day T9 and 4 shots off the lead
2014 - Won Australian Open by 6 shots shooting 63 in the final Round. He started round 4 in a 3-way tie
2015 - Won the Valspar Championship after a 3-way playoff
2015 - Won US Open by a shot having started R4 in a tie for the lead
2015 - Won the John Deere Classic in a playoff (He had a two shot lead after round 3)
2016 - Won the Dean and DeLuca Invitational. He went into the back nine 1 shot back and birdied 6 of the last nine holes to win by 3

I'd say he can close it out when it's tight well enough

That looks like some good, solid factual evidence.

Let's not forget Rory's absolute worst collapse I can remember at the masters which was so bad they stopped showing him on TV.
( I'm not having a dig at him, it was just really bad)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My point on Jordan is when he's neck and neck he had a tendency to blow it. When he's got spare shots he gets it done.

He's won 3 playoffs in his career. Hitting bad shots isn't choking, it's hitting bad shots at the wrong time. It happens to everyone. There are a lot of great players on tour and the line between winning and losing is very small.

D

Deleted member 15344

Spieth, yes. Snedeker, really?

On Sunday he was struggling and was taking forever before addressing the ball - yes when he gets over the ball he pulls the trigger quickly but before that it was painful to watch.

Spieth was playing technically great golf but just not inspiring entertaining golf that makes you stay on the channel

Some enjoy watching someone play golf like that but for me Speith just is a dull golfer to watch and lacks the wow factor - you dont expect explosions of entertainment from him - Phil , Rory , Garcia , Fowler and Woods in his day you would expect something to happen that would entertain you. Just dont see that with Spieth at the moment.

But its horses for courses - some will be glued to the telly in admiration of his golf ability

And Rory did collapse spectacularly during the 2011 Masters - blew a big lead in a big way - the very next major he went on and smashed US Open records - he recovered well. Speith blew the Masters as well in spectacular fashion - he hasn't won or really competed at a Major since but is coming into form so will see how he gets on in the Masters to see if he can put it to bed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.