Jordan Spieth - Is he a choker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Spieth is the real deal, wouldn't put money on the guy who rolls putts in for Fun? Your nuts, I think this year will be big for spieth he's number 1 in iron play on tour which couple with his ability on the greens if he maintains the iron play could lead to a very good season. I have to be honest and say I think spieth is a better all round player than mcilroy, not as pleasing on the eye, not as good a ball striker but he is a better all round golfer and much more level headed

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Actually, they are there to be entertaining. That way people pay to watch them, sponsors pay to be seen with them, tv companies pay so that we can all see them. We can't expect them all to be cheery like Phil but to say that they have no responsibility to entertain is not right.

Relating to Speith I find him interesting to watch. Mr Day however, yawn.
+1

As I said before, they are able to compete for the purses they do because enough people watch them do. Ignoring this means risking to loose it all.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Actually, they are there to be entertaining. That way people pay to watch them, sponsors pay to be seen with them, tv companies pay so that we can all see them. We can't expect them all to be cheery like Phil but to say that they have no responsibility to entertain is not right.

A golfer's job is to play the best golf they can, when they do it well it is entertaining.

D

Deleted member 15344

Spieth is the real deal, wouldn't put money on the guy who rolls putts in for Fun? Your nuts, I think this year will be big for spieth he's number 1 in iron play on tour which couple with his ability on the greens if he maintains the iron play could lead to a very good season. I have to be honest and say I think spieth is a better all round player than mcilroy, not as pleasing on the eye, not as good a ball striker but he is a better all round golfer and much more level headed
It appears to me that his weakness is his driving - a good number of times he seems to suffer from the pushes and pulls and because of the way the US courses are set up driving it 40 yards wide doesn't matter because there is no rough - and that's where his recovery and putting bails him out and very well

If him and McIlroy are both at the top of the game in the last round going to the tenth tee then I would put my money on McIlroy - for me he is head and shoulders above everyone and dont think Spieth would be able to handle it and start chasing drives causing more errors

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry mate, that's not right, they are Golfers first and foremost, people go to watch the best in the world play golf, what is the correct amount of time to play a shot? If you start telling Spieth to play quicker it will impact on his game and who suffers? Everyone imo, we don't want the best in the world hacking courses up just so it speeds up.

You know what you get with certain players and to put Spieth down because he's not as fast as some or smiles as much as Beef is pathetic, I'd imagine Beef would happily swap places with Spieth in an instant, it's a sport not a game show.

As for the comments about Spieth not having the bottle over the last 6 holes with a small lead, get over yourselves 😂😂😂😂, he's boring when destroying fields and bottles it when close, 23 yrs old, 2 Majors, yer right.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
+1

As I said before, they are able to compete for the purses they do because enough people watch them do. Ignoring this means risking to loose it all.

What other reason is there to go to a golf tournament than to see the best players play great golf? What else do you expect?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Different opinions. I want sport to entertain me. I'll take an occasional dull match / player if the skill is there but if they are permanently dull then no thanks.

It's up to a player to decide where they want to pitch themselves. No doubt the sponsors are very aware of which players push the right buttons and will reward them accordingly.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For anyone still thinking it's just about playing golf well, guess who said this:

"We are in the entertainment content business with golf as our platform"

D

Deleted member 16999

Different opinions. I want sport to entertain me. I'll take an occasional dull match / player if the skill is there but if they are permanently dull then no thanks.

It's up to a player to decide where they want to pitch themselves. No doubt the sponsors are very aware of which players push the right buttons and will reward them accordingly.

How is Spieths ability dull?

I get his personality may be lacking to some or he just annoys some for some reason, but his golfing ability is beyond reproach.

Everytime I've seen him speak he comes across to me as a polite and respectful bloke.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It appears to me that his weakness is his driving - a good number of times he seems to suffer from the pushes and pulls and because of the way the US courses are set up driving it 40 yards wide doesn't matter because there is no rough - and that's where his recovery and putting bails him out and very well

If him and McIlroy are both at the top of the game in the last round going to the tenth tee then I would put my money on McIlroy - for me he is head and shoulders above everyone and dont think Spieth would be able to handle it and start chasing drives causing more errors

That maybe the case but I think Spieth will challenge for more that Rory.

Rory will have too many peaks and troughs whereas Spieth will always be there or thereabouts

D

Deleted member 16999

For anyone still thinking it's just about playing golf well, guess who said this:

"We are in the entertainment content business with golf as our platform"

Please explain how'd you make Spieths playing more entertaining?

D

Deleted member 15344

That maybe the case but I think Spieth will challenge for more that Rory.

Rory will have too many peaks and troughs whereas Spieth will always be there or thereabouts

I think you are right in regards the regular events - Spieth will win a good number of PGA events - don't see him traveling out of the US beyond Ryder Cup and the Open and he will mop up the Tour Events but think Rory will win more Majors

D

Deleted member 16999

I think you are right in regards the regular events - Spieth will win a good number of PGA events - don't see him traveling out of the US beyond Ryder Cup and the Open and he will mop up the Tour Events but think Rory will win more Majors
Personally hope Rory becomes the greatest player ever, still doesn't make Spieth dull.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Please explain how'd you make Spieths playing more entertaining?
I didn't say he wasn't :) Personally I find his swearing under hand and talking to the ball entertaining enough :)

I was more generally against the point that professional golf is all about being a good athlete - it isn't, according to the very people who run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.