Jordan Spieth - Is he a choker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've got to be honest.
If you had two cameras following Spieth and Willett around the course and concentrating on nothing else, one looked like a Major Winner, the other looked like a scratch golfer with a superb short game.
Spieth hit some shots that even I would have been ashamed of....maybe he hit them a bit further but they were horrors.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got to be honest.
If you had two cameras following Spieth and Willett around the course and concentrating on nothing else, one looked like a Major Winner, the other looked like a scratch golfer with a superb short game.
Spieth hit some shots that even I would have been ashamed of....maybe he hit them a bit further but they were horrors.

Wild driving and a great short game. Isnt that the way Seve played? Did he choke at Augusta in 86?

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got to be honest.

Spieth is top 15 in strokes gained tee-to-green out of 200 odd players on the PGA tour this season.

Might not be the strongest part of his game but better than most pros and a huge difference from a scratch golfer!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its well known what happened at the Masters this year with Spieth but i'll take you back to the US Open of 2015 at Chambers Bay, Spieth is leading by 2 shots and double bogeys 17 with Johnson then going on to birdie 17. Spieth obviously went onto birdie an relatively easy par 5 for these guys with Johnson famously 3 stabbing to give Spieth the win, Spieth choked that day and got lucky because DJ is a serial choker and has plenty previous for it.

Open Championship 2015 at St Andrews, chasing the grand slam having bagged the seasons first 2 majors. He is in contention with 2 to play, 2 pars and he's in a play off with Johnson. Bogey 17 and requiring a birdie down the last which to be fair is an easy par 4 and a birdie chance for the top pro's and he birdied it twice in previous rounds, he made par. Another choke?

Then we have the Masters in 2014 when he dumped a ball ironically enough into the water on 12 to hand Bubba the advantage who went onto win, prior to that he was leading before bogeys on 8 and 9. His first big choke?

There is no doubt this guy can play, he is a top class putter and having bagged 2 majors at such a young age shows his class but I believe he should have had a second green jacket this year and believe he should have won the Open last year. I just have a niggling feeling that what we're seeing with him is his inability to really close it out when it's tight.

Discuss.

So a 22 year old has won two Majors, put himself in prime position to win last week despite being mediocre tee to green, and you call him a choker?
And you use his US Open WIN as an example of choking....

What utter claptrap. Discuss ;)

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So a 22 year old has won two Majors, put himself in prime position to win last week despite being mediocre tee to green, and you call him a choker?
And you use his US Open WIN as an example of choking....

What utter claptrap. Discuss ;)

Good post in my opinion.
I dislike the word 'choker' and all it has come to mean.
So easy to tie a label on a sportsman from the sofa.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I think speith is a excellent player at the end of the day he is far from on top of his game this year at the masters ie.....long game ,his drivin was awfull but still kept his lead untill the end it was his to lose. If anyone's got problems at the moment it's rory his overall game is so up and down at the moment ,he's putting too much pressure on himself . Anyway what about the world no1 day no ones mentioned him the guys on the form of his life yes he's slow but I think his alround game is excellent just didn't get it going at the masters.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think he(Spieth) would be putting more balls in the water if he was put on the clock more(which he should be):angry:
Does anyone know how long his final round took?:whistle:

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think he is a choker. At the masters he was driving really badly, throwing in some wild shots. This was putting him under more and more pressure as he knew he was going to make a mistake at some point.

I think he played poorly and still finished second.

I think guys who start Majors poorly and play there way into top 10's when they have no realistic chances of winning fall more into the choker bracket. Play well when the pressure if off.

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Short answer is no (in my opinion)

He bogied the 10th and 11th then felt the pressure on the 12th (what a hole to feel the pressure on!) to me that doesn't constitute a choker.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looked for a general thread on Spieth but only found this.

is he a choker? No he's not.

Is he someone who inspires you and does he drip charisma and excitement?

Again, no. Sure, he's a great golfer but I'm afraid I find him totally robotic, lacking flair and very very VERY boring.

A college system drone.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bill Murray tries to entertain on the golf course and he gets battered as well. Seems there's no way to win.

Steve Davis got the same flak, and I find him one of the most interesting and likeable pundits on TV now.

They are there to perform at a sport and entertain with the quality of their play rather than their personality. It's nice when personality shows through on the course but it's not a requisite for being likeable imo.
It also doesn't help that he seems very vanilla when talking to the press, but he is better in an informal situation if you look for them.

I've known plenty of people that are pretty dull at work but never a dull moment on a night out.

Maybe he's a good laugh away from the course. This is a little tongue-in-cheek...

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/830121135266095104

And here's a 40 minute interview that changed my opinion of his personality.

http://nolayingup.com/2016/11/29/nlu-podcast-episode-58-jordan-spieth/

If he is still 'unlikeable' you'll be turning the TVs off quite often because he isn't going away anytime soon.
Arguably the best putter on th planet is now driving the ball straighter and leading the PGA tour stats in GIR.

G

guest100718

Another big win for Spieth

I love watching him play, his touch on and around the greens is second to none when he's on form.

Great golfer for sure, but love watching him play? I'd rather wtch paint dry I think

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't understand this boring, robitic, paint dry comments, surely he's playing the game we all dream of?

Maybe we could get him to dress as a Morris Dancer so he makes people smile as he walks the course.

What do you want?

Do any professional golfers show their true personality on the course?

Status
Not open for further replies.