Career Grand Slam

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21445

Every year for the month/months leading up to The Masters there is an incredible amount of noise around Rory Mcilroy winning at Augusta and completing the career grand slam.
An amount of noise that Rory seems to struggle to deal with the extra pressure.

Its rightly a huge deal seeing as so few have completed this landmark feat.

Thats why I find it strange that leading into the PGA their has been hardly a mention of Jordan Spieth going for the very same landmark this week.

Its not like Spieth is not a huge name in the game of golf, he obviously is and should be as big a story ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Every year for the month/months leading up to The Masters there is an incredible amount of noise around Rory Mcilroy winning at Augusta and completing the career grand slam.

Thats why I find it strange that leading into the PGA their has been hardly a mention of Jordan Spieth going for the very same landmark this week.

Its not like Spieth is not a huge name in the game of golf, he obviously is and should be as big a story ?

I didn’t even know but it’s obvious now you’ve mentioned it lol.
I’ll be backing him for sure 👌

AddisonRoad

Visit site

Pretty sure he's not playing this week - think he's already dropped out due to injury

D

Deleted member 21445

Pretty sure he's not playing this week - think he's already dropped out due to injury

Yes he is a doubt but currently still in the field.

He has been going for the career grand slam since 2017, yet dont remember much hullabaloo each time the USPGA came around..

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Spieth gets mentioned a lot by the American podcasts he’s loved by them

Him and even Phil always get a mention about completing it when the PGA and US Open roll round

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spieth gets mentioned a lot by the American podcasts he’s loved by them

Him and even Phil always get a mention about completing it when the PGA and US Open roll round
This is surely it. We hear the Rory stuff because it is relevant to UK media. We don't hear the Speith interviews because it is less relevant to it's target audience. I'm sure US audiences see this debate the other way around.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think there is just a different expectation as well as US/UK debate. Love Spieth but he's not at the heights of Rory regularly competing and winning so i don't think there is the expectation it's his to clinch (although I hope he does).

I think with Rory always being in top 10, there felt like he's always due one at the Masters (particularly having led previously) so the hype is there. Whether he will or not is a different debate although again it would be great to see.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's always a topic of conversation and and interesting nuance to the championship. (Similarly with Phil at the US Open) Rory at the Masters gets more hyped over here because Rory is more popular and also because the Masters is a much more prestigious event than the PGA.

FWIW I think there's more chance of Spieth completing the grand slam than Rory. Would be really interesting to think who the next to complete the career grand slam will be - I'm thinking Rahm.
Agree with you... Rory seems to have a monkey on his back with the Masters whereas the Spieth situation seems more relaxed, and depending on the course he could walk up and take it one year. You definitely wouldn't bet against Rahm doing the slam before Rory does either.

D

Deleted member 21445

Agree with you... Rory seems to have a monkey on his back with the Masters whereas the Spieth situation seems more relaxed, and depending on the course he could walk up and take it one year. You definitely wouldn't bet against Rahm doing the slam before Rory does either.

Totally agree, I think Rahm will be the next one to do it (y)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Think there was more hype about it before his slump. I did see a few things about Spieth this year, but as mentioned last week's withdrawal maybe tempered things somewhat.
Also agree that Rory's history at Augusta likely increases the fuss, plus it is the first major after several months.