Grand Slam

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of talk about Rory being the 6th person to win the Grand Slam prior to the Masters this week, which clearly hasn't happened. Isn't Spieth now the next in line with only the PGA to win and think he's possibly more likely to do it?

Rory's slightly ahead with more career wins but if Spieth wins the Grand Slam that will surely escalate him to the 'best' golfer currently playing (bar Tiger). This may take some pressure off Rory and may push him over the line at next years' Masters.

A lot of talk, especially on Rory over-powering courses but unless he can sort his putting out he's unlikely to live up to his potential. Clearly Spieth's putting is in a different class and although not a 'bomber' he can still hit it out there and his short game is exceptional.

Thoughts on who'll get there first?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
A lot of talk about Rory being the 6th person to win the Grand Slam prior to the Masters this week, which clearly hasn't happened. Isn't Spieth now the next in line with only the PGA to win and think he's possibly more likely to do it?

Rory's slightly ahead with more career wins but if Spieth wins the Grand Slam that will surely escalate him to the 'best' golfer currently playing (bar Tiger). This may take some pressure off Rory and may push him over the line at next years' Masters.

A lot of talk, especially on Rory over-powering courses but unless he can sort his putting out he's unlikely to live up to his potential. Clearly Spieth's putting is in a different class and although not a 'bomber' he can still hit it out there and his short game is exceptional.

Thoughts on who'll get there first?

Rory's putting in the first three rounds was very good, I think he was T-1 after three rounds. So was the final round indicative of his poor putting, nerves or a loss of confidence once a couple slipped by.

I think Rory is finding his form again and will be contending in the rest of the majors. Spieth will be favourite to complete the slam as Rory has to wait another year

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spieth will get it first cuz I think Rory will never get a green jacket it’s a mental block now

U

User62651

Rory has more raw talent but Speith is more determined steelier competitor with a better short game. Therefore Speith more likely to complete grand slam imo. Also PGA visits numerous courses so better chance of one of these courses suiting his game. Rory is starting to develop negative associations with Augusta.

Never heard of this years PGA course at Bellerive, hasn't hosted a PGA tour event in 10 years I notice so hard to know who's game it may suit. It is a long track though so DJ will be a likely favourite.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if you're discounting on age but I think Mickelson is next up to try and get the Grand Slam when the US Open is played.

For me Rory will win a Masters, I know there is a lot of talk about a mental block but we're talking about an individual who is one of the best in the world and has been in the Top 10 at the Masters for the last 5 years. Bar having to overcome Spieth who has a phenomenal record, you've got to think that one year it will fall into place for him again.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
The next possible winner of the grand slam is Phil Mickelson with the US open. Now that would be a story, but I think a lot less likely than the other two.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
100% I’d say Spieth will win GrandSlam 1[SUP]st[/SUP]. I’m worried Rory won’t win another major- they were simpleshort 4-8 feet putts he was missing yesterday- he seems to have a mental yipunder pressure.

Spieth is one of the bestcompetitors ever in Golf- he seems to be of similar Ilk as Jack Niklaus andgets the job done.

Even last night in the studio McGinley etc were saying hewasn’t the best Golfer but probably the best competitor in Golf. Ok he made amistake in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round and on the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] but at the startof the round yesterday nobody would have given him a chance of getting close.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good shout about Phil Mickelson, had forgotten about him and he's coming into some form so has a chance of the US Open.
My money is still on Spieth for the USPGA though.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Rory's putting in the first three rounds was very good, I think he was T-1 after three rounds. So was the final round indicative of his poor putting, nerves or a loss of confidence once a couple slipped by.

I think Rory is finding his form again and will be contending in the rest of the majors. Spieth will be favourite to complete the slam as Rory has to wait another year
Nope.

He's been consistently poor with the flat stick.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Rory has more raw talent but Speith is more determined steelier competitor with a better short game. Therefore Speith more likely to complete grand slam imo. Also PGA visits numerous courses so better chance of one of these courses suiting his game. Rory is starting to develop negative associations with Augusta.

Never heard of this years PGA course at Bellerive, hasn't hosted a PGA tour event in 10 years I notice so hard to know who's game it may suit. It is a long track though so DJ will be a likely favourite.

Your opinion, but an opinion I would disagree with.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Nope.

He's been consistently poor with the flat stick.

I disagree, he has been very poor previously, but he won 4 majors early on his career so hardly a poor putter. Then he won a few weeks ago and was top of the putting stats for the four rounds, then he was joint top after 3 at Augusta which is indicative of a poor putter. He's 30 something in the tour for putts, which whilst not fantastic, it's hardly terrible

D

Deleted member 15344

I disagree, he has been very poor previously, but he won 4 majors early on his career so hardly a poor putter. Then he won a few weeks ago and was top of the putting stats for the four rounds, then he was joint top after 3 at Augusta which is indicative of a poor putter. He's 30 something in the tour for putts, which whilst not fantastic, it's hardly terrible

Exactly that - the stats don’t back up the “consistently poor” remarks that get banded about - and I’m sure I didn’t see any remarks about how poor a putter he is during the first three rounds when he was draining them. The guy has won massive comps for years - you don’t do that being a poor putter

McIlroy is a “confidence” putter maybe even overall player so when he isn’t feeling confident he is game struggles overall - little moments early in the rounds get him going , the putt on 2 which was devilishly quick was a hairs width away , if that goes in their is a different outlook to his demeanour- only getting a birdie seemed to deflate him.

So for me Rory’s issue is more a motivational mental issue and it’s something that maybe a stronger caddy could help with

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Exactly that - the stats don’t back up the “consistently poor” remarks that get banded about - and I’m sure I didn’t see any remarks about how poor a putter he is during the first three rounds when he was draining them. The guy has won massive comps for years - you don’t do that being a poor putter

McIlroy is a “confidence” putter maybe even overall player so when he isn’t feeling confident he is game struggles overall - little moments early in the rounds get him going , the putt on 2 which was devilishly quick was a hairs width away , if that goes in their is a different outlook to his demeanour- only getting a birdie seemed to deflate him.

So for me Rory’s issue is more a motivational mental issue and it’s something that maybe a stronger caddy could help with

I think you hit the nail on the head re confidence. But not sure a caddy would solve it.

Hes openly admitted that scrapping the cut doesn’t interest him, that’s a mental issue deeper than one a caddy can solve. Imo he’s unlikely to do a Spieth and come from so far back as he doesn’t seem to grind as a few others do.

The putting woes that are mentioned imo show a lack of confidence in it. Not to say he’s poor, he’s been better than spieth this season. But, it seems to be something he uses as a scapegoat almost. So if it does misbehave early doors (putt on the second) it almost gets in his head and makes other parts faulter as he tries too hard. He missed plenty yesterday that a winner couldn’t afford.

Happens to lots, Woods missed more this week than he usually would. But for Rory to win he needs a good final round with the putter and that is down to luck (streak) as anything else imo.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spieth is definitely more likely to do it anyway. He has much more mental strength, plus I think he's the better golfer overall.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

He was awful with driver, irons, wedges and putter yesterday, I don’t think a better caddy (old chestnut which gets bandied about when he doesn’t win) would have made a difference tbf.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Patrick Reed is the next man with a chance to win the Grand Slam. All the rest are out of the running until next year at least.

When did this misuse of the term Grand Slam start, and who is responsible ? I want to have a stern word with them. I blame yanks or Sky Sports. Or both. What people are talking about is the lesser 'winner of all four majors' achievement. Nice, sure. But no Grand Slam.

The Grand Slam is and always has been, winning all four majors in the same calender year. Thats why Tiger won the Tiger Slam, which was invented to acknowledge the enourmous achievement that was winning 4 on the trot though not in the same year, not the Grand Slam.

Rory has no hope of a Grand Slam. He is far too inconsistent. Spieth is the man with the best (although still miniscule) chance of the currently active players in my opinion.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spieth is definitely more likely to do it anyway. He has much more mental strength, plus I think he's the better golfer overall.

His reaction on 12th showed a humorous side aswell.. to land it on the fringe and just a little joking "phew" reaction to the crowd.

he may not be the best ability wise but jesus his will to win is up there with tiger

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Patrick Reed is the next man with a chance to win the Grand Slam. All the rest are out of the running until next year at least.

When did this misuse of the term Grand Slam start, and who is responsible ? I want to have a stern word with them. I blame yanks or Sky Sports. Or both. What people are talking about is the lesser 'winner of all four majors' achievement. Nice, sure. But no Grand Slam.

The Grand Slam is and always has been, winning all four majors in the same calender year. Thats why Tiger won the Tiger Slam, which was invented to acknowledge the enourmous achievement that was winning 4 on the trot though not in the same year, not the Grand Slam.

Rory has no hope of a Grand Slam. He is far too inconsistent. Spieth is the man with the best (although still miniscule) chance of the currently active players in my opinion.
You're not wrong. But I think the correct term here is the 'Career Grand Slam', for the sake of clarity.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Technically you are correct but seeing as no one has ever completed the Grand Slam, in it's current guise. Bobby Jones did it albeit with different majors then obviously the need to clarify it with "career" wasn't thought necessary.

McIlory got very close to the Tiger Slam, I believe he held 3 of them going into the Masters was tearing it up and then had his famous meltdown. Presumably if he did it once he has the ability to do it again

D

Deleted member 1147

How about, only 6 people have managed it because it's really difficult. As such perhaps the chances are that neither will manage it.

We assume certain players will win certain events - Norman & Rory the Masters - Norman never managed it and Rory hasn't yet.

Lots of Brits played alot of Links golf as youngsters (top Am events - Lytham Trophy, St Andrew Links etc), but Yanks have won alot of them, even thought the press corps say they should struggle because of the wind/conditions etc.

Basically there are lots of top players nowadays and any one of them can win any given event - so Christ knows who's going to win anything anymore or get the next GS.