Grand Slam

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Good putters don't miss putts like Rory was missing yesterday.

So if Rory was as good as the argumentative Liverpool lad tries to make out during rounds 1-3 why wasn't his confidence sky high, draining putts left right and centre like Jordan and Ricky?? Surely his confidence was flowing through his body???

***Mods, can you not upgrade the software so that I can't read what people on my ignore list type altogether??? It's a PITA when I then see their drivel in a quote.***

D

Deleted member 15344

Technically you are correct but seeing as no one has ever completed the Grand Slam, in it's current guise. Bobby Jones did it albeit with different majors then obviously the need to clarify it with "career" wasn't thought necessary.

McIlory got very close to the Tiger Slam, I believe he held 3 of them going into the Masters was tearing it up and then had his famous meltdown. Presumably if he did it once he has the ability to do it again

I don’t think McIlroy has held 3 in a row at any stage - most he has held at one stage is two and his meltdown at Augusta was in 2011 I think and that was before he won any majors , he went on to win the US Open a couple of weeks later, which is exactly what I can see him doing again

The career grand slam will be a target for both Spieth and Rory - i first I didn’t think Spieth would win any more majors after his US Open win but he was superb in the Open and once again yesterday , he has had lots of early season issues mainly with his putting ,which also dismisses the comment of “good putters don’t miss the putts he did because Speith was missing them for a good number of months hence his struggles, even during round 2 and 3 he was missing putts.

But as with Mcilory it’s all about confidence and Spieth started to hit the putts and he just goes from there - he went on that run when it looked like he couldn’t miss until he missed another putt he normally would get on the 18th ( again showing good putter miss those putts )

I think both are going to reach their career grand slam - but I think Spieth will do it first

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Good putters don't miss putts like Rory was missing yesterday.

So if Rory was as good as the argumentative Liverpool lad tries to make out during rounds 1-3 why wasn't his confidence sky high, draining putts left right and centre like Jordan and Ricky?? Surely his confidence was flowing through his body???

***Mods, can you not upgrade the software so that I can't read what people on my ignore list type altogether??? It's a PITA when I then see their drivel in a quote.***

I would say nerves - he knew he had a great chance to complete the Slam, and I think it got to him. As soon as he missed the short one on 2, I was fearful for him, had he holed it, I think he would have gone onto win.

What is clear, is you dislike McIlroy - any reason for this?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would say nerves - he knew he had a great chance to complete the Slam, and I think it got to him. As soon as he missed the short one on 2, I was fearful for him, had he holed it, I think he would have gone onto win.

Not sure the grand slam would have been in his head on the course but the second was a momentum change for sure. Rory has the game for Augusta but how much will the emotional scar of being the only top player yesterday over par plus his previous total meltdown be in his head every last round he's in contention.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Nerves tell you he's not a good putter then.

Did we see Stenson miss putts at Troon when Big Phil was chasing him down???

D

Deleted member 1147

Isn’t Mickleson the first in line who has a chance at the career grand slam ?
The US Open is before the USPGA & next year’s Masters.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mickelson's going to do it this year. Played well at Shinnecock last time it was there and I just don't see a world where Phil isn't US Open champion. It has to happen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mickelson's going to do it this year. Played well at Shinnecock last time it was there and I just don't see a world where Phil isn't US Open champion. It has to happen.
The oldest US Open winner ever was 45 apparently. Phil is 47. I think he's missed the boat.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He won a WGC aged 47. His game hasn't really changed, he's yet to lose any distance and still has the wicked short game. He can still win a major.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He won a WGC aged 47. His game hasn't really changed, he's yet to lose any distance and still has the wicked short game. He can still win a major.

There's no doubt he can, but it's a tough field and times running out so if it's not in the next year or 2 he won't the others at least have time on their hands.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
There's no doubt he can, but it's a tough field and times running out so if it's not in the next year or 2 he won't the others at least have time on their hands.

It also weighs heavily on his mind. The younger guys at least play it down in interviews, maybe believing it’s a matter of time. He’s made it clear he hopes for it. Think the pressure could work against him too.