Jordan Spieth - Is he a choker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe, but will be an absolute zzzzzz fest watching it for hours on TV. Wonder how the broadcasters will react as surely it can't be entertainment for anyone but a diehard golf or Speith fan.

Watching Spieth and Rory battle it out? Surely it's just top quality golf from 2 of the best golfers around at the moment.

D

Deleted member 15344

Especially when you throw in DJ, Day and Stenson. :thup:

Yep - we could be in for a real treat over the next couple of years both in majors and Ryder Cup

Also wouldn't discount Phil and Rose etc getting stuck in as well.

Could be a very healthy position competition wise -just a shame it's across the pond

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never mind JS who is one of the very best out there without no doubt, even his stats are improving from tee to green yet his putting stats a dropping back a bit. He is a proven winner and will continue to win.

Maybe we should be asking is Willet choker ? Without doubt.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Never mind JS who is one of the very best out there without no doubt, even his stats are improving from tee to green yet his putting stats a dropping back a bit. He is a proven winner and will continue to win.

Maybe we should be asking is Willet chocker ? Without doubt.

Moved onto younger prey have we...😕

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He's usually true to his word as well. Seems like a great guy and someone I'd happily follow at this years Open. The next few years look like being fantastic.

Are you going? Going Sat and Sun and would happily watch him close up to see how good a striker of the ball he is.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's a double-edged sword for them loose of Spieth, Day et al....
There's a shed load of money on the no-one and missing a putt or dumping an approach in theater costs thousands..
So they're going to take time over the shots, ok often too much, but you can understand the thinking.
The downside is that watching, either live or on the box, can get extremely tedious, especially at, for example, the WGC Matchplay event - sometimes only 2 matches on the course, that's when you realise how slow they can be.
It doesn't make good TV and could turn people off watching, leading to a slide down the priority scale...
Not saying it's coming to that but the players have a certain responsibility to "entertain" the public whilst keeping control of their game.
They're not, generally, that compatible.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How is Spieths ability dull?

I get his personality may be lacking to some or he just annoys some for some reason, but his golfing ability is beyond reproach.

Everytime I've seen him speak he comes across to me as a polite and respectful bloke.

I like Speith and I don't find him dull. I mentioned a few pages ago that I don't find him dull but I appreciate others are quoting Speith and I am talking about dull golfers not doing their job to entertain, hence the connection you've made. I wish he would speed up but he is not as slow as Day and his personality comes across on the course with his chatter with his caddie and the ball. I also agree that off the course he come over really well. I'm happy to defend Speith.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just because he didn't birdie the 18th at St Andrews on one occasion? Not at all convinced a level par round from the 54 hole lead when the winning score that year ended up being -8 which won by 3 is choking. That was his first Masters as well.

Nowhere near as much of a choke artist as say pre 2015 DJ

You can have last years Masters

You forget he bogied the 17th too that year. Those 2 holes at St Andrews in level par would have seen him in the play off. Anyones guess if he'd have won or not, academic now though.

I also believe had he been up against anyone in the same scenario other than DJ at the US Open he'd have lost it, he had the lead and blew it on 17 with a double bogey but you can always rely on DJ for a blow up though :rofl:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2013 - Recorded his first win on tour shooting 65 to get into a playoff after starting the day T9 and 4 shots off the lead
2014 - Won Australian Open by 6 shots shooting 63 in the final Round. He started round 4 in a 3-way tie
2015 - Won the Valspar Championship after a 3-way playoff
2015 - Won US Open by a shot having started R4 in a tie for the lead
2015 - Won the John Deere Classic in a playoff (He had a two shot lead after round 3)
2016 - Won the Dean and DeLuca Invitational. He went into the back nine 1 shot back and birdied 6 of the last nine holes to win by 3

I'd say he can close it out when it's tight well enough

Well that kind of blows my theory doesnt it :rofl:

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You forget he bogied the 17th too that year. Those 2 holes at St Andrews in level par would have seen him in the play off. Anyones guess if he'd have won or not, academic now though.

I also believe had he been up against anyone in the same scenario other than DJ at the US Open he'd have lost it, he had the lead and blew it on 17 with a double bogey but you can always rely on DJ for a blow up though :rofl:

Bogeying one of the hardest if not the hardest hole on the entire open rota which didn't see a single birdie on the Thursday and averaged 4.6+ during the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.