Jordan Spieth - Is he a choker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
always a tad perplexed by the general bunch of negativity there often is

Spieth - won the masters - wire to wire - while also tying the scoring record & the 2nd youngest ever to win youngest being Jack - just missed tying the course record (63) by 1

in same year became one of only 6 players ever to win the masters & us open back to back

has finished 2nd twice
11th once
taken part 4 times to date

don't think that too many folks really take on board just how difficult it is to win any tourney now period on the pga tour never mind win a major

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thought I'd bump this

Mr wonderful started 2 back but finished outwith the top 10

Choked again?

Oh please, what is the obsession with this? He didn't win, but then only one player did so does that make everyone who didn't a choker? Frankly I find this whole discussion a little bit sad and really don't see the need to drag it up again.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's very, very hard to win and the margins between success and failure a time that level are slim.

I wouldn't criticise anyone for losing a few shot lead in a major - if there's one group of players who could overcome a few shot deficit, it's the best players in the world.

Someone said earlier in this thread that they're more worried about Rory. I posted sometime last year that I couldn't see him winning another major the way he's going and I didn't see anything at the Masters to change my mind.

As you can imagine, that view was not quite ridiculed, but disagreed with pretty strongly, which I completely understand. However, something is not right with Rory. He has forgotten something, or lost something, and he's not the same player he was 2 or 3 years ago. With all the young talent out there and the high number of potential winners, its more difficult to win now.

In my view he's the best player out there but he doesn't contend enough for a player of his ability. As it stands, I would not be surprised if he never wins another major.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh please, what is the obsession with this? He didn't win, but then only one player did so does that make everyone who didn't a choker? Frankly I find this whole discussion a little bit sad and really don't see the need to drag it up again.

Only one correction Hawkeye - it's not " a little bit sad" it's HUGELY sad and an outrageous slur on a brilliant pro sportsman

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is interesting is that it often (in general not just Jordan) seems to depend on the dynamic between the players in each pairing. At the masters Jordan and Rickie both faded disappointingly and neither challenged but Justin and Sergio both played great rounds and fought all the way to the playoff.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe not a choker but is the 2016 masters going to be his, for want of a better word , defining major moment unless he wins the masters again ? he could get to 17 majors and ppl wil still say but for 2016 ..

Will it be what chokes him masters/major wise , & will Rory b masters choked by his episode .. hope not

mr_g0lfpunk

Hacker
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a choke, more he had a very bad day around the greens which, with the fine margins at augustus, can happen to any top player. after sergio's pulled tee shot at the 13th I was convinced he was on for a 'choke' but he did brilliantly to come back from that and push rose all the way to the end. however, it could have quite easily gone the other way.

annoyingly (because I have a strange irrational dislike of jordan) spieth will most definitely be winning majors for a long time to come and it wouldn't surprise me if it's the masters again very soon.

G

guest100718

Only one correction Hawkeye - it's not " a little bit sad" it's HUGELY sad and an outrageous slur on a brilliant pro sportsman
and the award for biggest overreaction in a post goes to....

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It's nothing to do with not winning, I'm merely pointing out his tendency to have a final day blow up.

It's not and obsession, it's an opinion.

I'm not for a minute saying the guy is a bad golfer, he's a fantastic golfer and will win many tournaments and maybe more majors but look at some of his final rounds when we'll in contention.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's nothing to do with not winning, I'm merely pointing out his tendency to have a final day blow up.

It's not and obsession, it's an opinion.

I'm not for a minute saying the guy is a bad golfer, he's a fantastic golfer and will win many tournaments and maybe more majors but look at some of his final rounds when we'll in contention.

Look back in the thread, I posted plenty of times he came from behind to win, if it's not an obsession, it's a flawed opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.