Jordan Spieth - Is he a choker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think so having just holed from the bunker to win play off. I think him losing the Masters last year to Willett affected him, but he's back and will win more majors undoubtedly

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How many lucky breaks can one man get lmao

A win is a win but he was pretty shoddy today, should have taken this down

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep a shot from a winner not the shot of a choker that's for sure.

He tried to choke that play off, hit his drive miles left and it bounced off a tree back to the middle of the fairway....

Then he mi***** his 5 iron and it lands 20 yards short of target

None of that goes down in the history book though :thup:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the second youngest player to win 10 events on the PGA Tour is still, in some eyes, a choker - I am in utter disbelief at some people.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He tried to choke that play off, hit his drive miles left and it bounced off a tree back to the middle of the fairway....

Then he mi***** his 5 iron and it lands 20 yards short of target

None of that goes down in the history book though :thup:
A choker would have left the 3rd shot in the bunker but in your case it would have probably been your 5th shot from the bunker.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
So the second youngest player to win 10 events on the PGA Tour is still, in some eyes, a choker - I am in utter disbelief at some people.

This. So dumb. He's a proven winner. Has proven he can win without relying on his putter, which many thought he couldn't, and has now held on to a 54 hole lead to win his 10th PGA Tour title. A choker he is not.

D

Deleted member 15344

This. So dumb. He's a proven winner. Has proven he can win without relying on his putter, which many thought he couldn't, and has now held on to a 54 hole lead to win his 10th PGA Tour title. A choker he is not.

He has also not really contended since the Masters incident 18 months ago - so whilst he will no doubt keep ticking off the regular PGA events I think in the Majors there will be struggles - there has been enough seen during his comps to suggest there is possibly an issue with at times closing out comps ( doesn't make him a choker though )

D

Deleted member 16999

He's 23 for godsake, anyone who believes he's a choker needs to get real, he hasn't managed this, he hasn't done that, he needs to prove the other......

Utter crap, I get people not liking him or something about him annoying you, nobody is liked by everybody, but please don't slag off his record or ability, you come across as dumb.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He has also not really contended since the Masters incident 18 months ago - so whilst he will no doubt keep ticking off the regular PGA events I think in the Majors there will be struggles - there has been enough seen during his comps to suggest there is possibly an issue with at times closing out comps ( doesn't make him a choker though )

well the way you put it here must be the same for Rory Westwood Day and a whole host of others as non of them have been in contention lately and if they have then they haven't been able to get the job done. Speith has won more than most over the last few years.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Plenty others have done nothing for 12-18 months in majors too. Means nothing. Golf is hard and the standard is so good. There can be only one winner.

Spieth is class and will go onto win many more tournaments including majors. I think he'll get to at least 7/8.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Looks like he is struggling with the putter. Couple of years ago he never looked like missing. If he doesn't putt well can't see him winning too many majors as he is ball striking is not as good as the other top players.

D

Deleted member 15344

Plenty others have done nothing for 12-18 months in majors too. Means nothing. Golf is hard and the standard is so good. There can be only one winner.

Spieth is class and will go onto win many more tournaments including majors. I think he'll get to at least 7/8.

But the discussion isn't about others it's about Spieth - yes winning a major is hard but I don't think he will win another , he will be another - Love , Couples , Furyk , Kite etc who will have very successful careers on the PGA Tour and he will no doubt win further events but not major imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Two time major champion aged 23 and numerous tour wins on top. Not bad for a choker. Granted he did his best to lose last night but in a years time when he tees it up all the starter will say is 2017 champion

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But the discussion isn't about others it's about Spieth - yes winning a major is hard but I don't think he will win another , he will be another - Love , Couples , Furyk , Kite etc who will have very successful careers on the PGA Tour and he will no doubt win further events but not major imo.

I know what the discussion is about, is was simply making a comparison. Is that OK by you?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jordan Spieth has successfully converted eight 54-hole leads on the #PGATour over the last 3 seasons - 3 more than anyone else in that span.

You can't argue with the facts. How many chokers can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.