Jordan Spieth - Is he a choker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Look back in the thread, I posted plenty of times he came from behind to win, if it's not an obsession, it's a flawed opinion

I know you did and I'm sure I acknowledged it when you did with a bit of surprise.

Maybe calling him a choker is a bit strong but I do believe that more often than not, when it's tight he tends not to get it done. If he had been a good closer he'd have won so much more already.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jordan is only a young man and he will come good when he just matures a bit so he can get the best of of his very considerable talent and accept his early success needs cultivation.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know you did and I'm sure I acknowledged it when you did with a bit of surprise.

Maybe calling him a choker is a bit strong but I do believe that more often than not, when it's tight he tends not to get it done. If he had been a good closer he'd have won so much more already.

Plenty of time to learn. He's only 23.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's 23 and has 12 professional wins, 2 of them majors. As has been said before, he is NOT a choker. Keep up the agenda though, I'm sure it makes you feel good every time he fails to win.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
He's 23 and has 12 professional wins, 2 of them majors. As has been said before, he is NOT a choker. Keep up the agenda though, I'm sure it makes you feel good every time he fails to win.

I don't think he's a choker, but, the above doesn't in itself prove it either way. If he's led 25 times on a sunday then it could be argued that 12 wins isnt enough. Although it may be that he's only led on a sunday 7 times in the morning, in which case he'd be a grwt finisher.

My thought's are that he's the opposite of the usual Rory. In that Tee to green he can have very iffy days and his putting keeps him about, but if the putter goes a little cold, or he's slightly more awry then he will struggle at an event, much like rory often blows chances with a cold putter when the rest of me is solid. Nobody would have predicted the 12th precisely last year, but many had mentioned how well he'd done to even be in contention that weekend, such were his struggles of the tee that weekend.

D

Deleted member 15344

I prob said it last year but think the same still counts

I don't see him as a choker but I do think he suffers a bit under pressure at times during the last round , at the moment he seems comfortable when he is leading with no one pushing him but when he has pressured appllied or needs to chase and go for stuff he just seems to go a bit wayward. This years Masters he did superb to get back into the reckoning but then just blew it - and when he does it seems he just talks too much to his caddy and very animated about it as well ( one of the reasons why some I think don't like him ) . But a lot of that is more than likely down to his age and still maturing as a golfer.

But I also don't think we will see him many more majors , think he will be like a Furyk - will challenge lots but just won't be able to get over the line

G

guest100718

I prob said it last year but think the same still counts

I don't see him as a choker but I do think he suffers a bit under pressure at times during the last round , at the moment he seems comfortable when he is leading with no one pushing him but when he has pressured appllied or needs to chase and go for stuff he just seems to go a bit wayward. This years Masters he did superb to get back into the reckoning but then just blew it - and when he does it seems he just talks too much to his caddy and very animated about it as well ( one of the reasons why some I think don't like him ) . But a lot of that is more than likely down to his age and still maturing as a golfer.

But I also don't think we will see him many more majors , think he will be like a Furyk - will challenge lots but just won't be able to get over the line

you describe a choker..... but he's not a choker....

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Why do you think he should close it out more often than not when it's tight? He is not the stand out player of this generation, he is one of many very talented players, all of whom are capable of winning and none of them go on to win more often than not. To single Spieth out and call him a choker (or whatever word you now want to use) is extremely unfair.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a choker and he's young and will get into contention in majors many more times. As the Rose v Garcia or Stenson v Mickleson heads to heads show, there can only be one winner so if he does go head to head with someone and come second best doesn't mean he's choked. I'm sure he's still learning how to handle pressure and given time will find a way to get the job done more often not only in majors but in other high ranking events

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought I'd post on this thread rather than start a new one.

Watching the golf tonight I was troubled. I don't dislike Spieth as a person at all but I have no empathy with him as a player. Just cannot warm to him. I know I'm not alone in this either so why is that? It's not as if he's not a very gifted and talented golfer.

I'd happily see others on the US tour win (Phil, Tiger, Ricky, Bubba etc.) but I never find myself cheering on Jordan.

I feel troubled by my attitude but cannot seem to want to change ir.

Troubled of Berkshire.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thought I'd post on this thread rather than start a new one.

Watching the golf tonight I was troubled. I don't dislike Spieth as a person at all but I have no empathy with him as a player. Just cannot warm to him. I know I'm not alone in this either so why is that? It's not as if he's not a very gifted and talented golfer.

I'd happily see others on the US tour win (Phil, Tiger, Ricky, Bubba etc.) but I never find myself cheering on Justin.

I feel troubled by my attitude but cannot seem to want to change ir.

Troubled of Berkshire.

Justin?

......Or Jordan :smirk:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Doing his best to blow it again tonight.

Hope he composes himself too. As he is getting far to hot under the collar and beating himself before anyone else has chance to.

Status
Not open for further replies.