Jordan Spieth - Is he a choker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jordan Spieth has successfully converted eight 54-hole leads on the #PGATour over the last 3 seasons - 3 more than anyone else in that span.

You can't argue with the facts. How many chokers can do that.

And has only failed to convert 1 36-hole lead, the one at The Masters last year. A choker he most definitely isn't. 1 moment should not define a career.

D

Deleted member 15344

And has only failed to convert 1 36-hole lead, the one at The Masters last year. A choker he most definitely isn't. 1 moment should not define a career.

I don't actually think people are calling him a choker regardless of the thread title

Wasn't there also the issue with the Open in 2016 when he was leading then threw in a double on the 17th and lost the Comp ?

Right now because it was the last time he had a chance to win a major and it went wrong that will define him until he wins again

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't actually think people are calling him a choker regardless of the thread title

Wasn't there also the issue with the Open in 2016 when he was leading then threw in a double on the 17th and lost the Comp ?

Right now because it was the last time he had a chance to win a major and it went wrong that will define him until he wins again
So you don't think he's a choker, but until he wins another major, the last "choke" will define him and, you don't think he'll win another major.

So actually, you are calling him a choker.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

So what you are saying is that every player who was leading a major or in contention but failed to will is a nobody until they win a major ???

you are wired to the moon, WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON LEE WESTWOOD THEN ?

D

Deleted member 15344

So what you are saying is that every player who was leading a major or in contention but failed to will is a nobody until they win a major ???

you are wired to the moon, WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON LEE WESTWOOD THEN ?

Can't recall calling anyone a "nobody" ?

My take on Westwood is he will have a career that will be missing a big prize because he has failed to get over the line when he has had the chance

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But the discussion isn't about others it's about Spieth - yes winning a major is hard but I don't think he will win another , he will be another - Love , Couples , Furyk , Kite etc who will have very successful careers on the PGA Tour and he will no doubt win further events but not major imo.

I'd put money on Spieth to win another major before Rory.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jordan Spieth has successfully converted eight 54-hole leads on the #PGATour over the last 3 seasons - 3 more than anyone else in that span.

You can't argue with the facts. How many chokers can do that.

The thing I like about him is his mental strength and determination. He's much stronger in that department than the likes of Rory, DJ & Day

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Winners can choke. Chokers can win. It's only us trying to categorise players - it's nothing to do with reality really.

Fact is, under pressure, one way or another Jordan (like anyone) will miss some and will make some.
Somedays his thinking and his game will be on target and some days it won't - but it doesn't mean much to outcomes.
Clearly he's got some bottle though, he hit a few howlers but somehow he gets it done. TW was like that a bit.

I find him a bit petulant and when things aren't going his way I get tired of the "are you kidding me" stuff.
But I absolutely love watching him - he really get's into his shot, he visualises it, lives and breaths it.
But such passion might be a bit of a burden when it's not going so well.

Even when putting bad he looks like he might hole it.
Going to enjoy watching him in many battles over the next 15+ years!
Hopefully he putts poorly at the Rider Cups though.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd put money on Spieth to win another major before Rory.

The only thing for me holding Rory back is his rib injuries which it seems he is starting to get over - he has that Putter in he used in the Fed Ex back as well so it wouldn't surprise me to see him win either the Open or PGA this year - so my money is on Rory

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only thing for me holding Rory back is his rib injuries which it seems he is starting to get over - he has that Putter in he used in the Fed Ex back as well so it wouldn't surprise me to see him win either the Open or PGA this year - so my money is on Rory

he went through 3 putters in 4 rounds at the weekend, putter well sunday but how long does that last especially as there is clearly a desire for him to be using a Spider and based on his interview hes clearly going to be experimenting more

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rory has stated 2 weeks ago he was injury free and had no further issues regarding his ribs but the trouble he has is that he is one of the worst putters out there and I don't see that change anytime soon. Can't see him win any majors anytime soon

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not the only thing. He's a pretty poor putter too and if things aren't going exactly his way he can't seem to grind a win out.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not the only thing. He's a pretty poor putter too and if things aren't going exactly his way he can't seem to grind a win out.

Apart from the Fed Ex last year when he was three behind with three to play and an eagle and birdie jumped him into a playoff which he then won.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not sure Rory wants it enough. I think he's even said he's bored of golf hasn't he? I'd like him to be in contention again but he just doesn't instil confidence. Spieth is much more likely to in the major hunt again before Rory in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 15344

Even a broken clock.......

Ok then there was the US PGA when him and Phil were going at it , or the Open with Fowler chasing him - he has shown he can grind away in the big comps

Status
Not open for further replies.