Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

D

Deleted member 15344

But what is wrong with a tracksuit, t-shirt or similar?

In most other sports, you basically wear what lets you perform best, not what someone else deems to look good. Why does golf restrict this freedom?

I understand motorsport may mandate leathers or fireproofs for the participants own safety.
I understand weightlifting restricts elbow coverings, so judges can see if the weight is pressed out.
I understand rugby limits stud dimensions for other players safety.
I understand swimming restricts "sharkskin" suits because they are deemed too performance enhancing.

Why does golf restrict the wearing of tracksuits or Tshirts, apart from the fact some people think it does not look very smart.

You can wear trainers and a tracksuit playing golf if you wish - but just as in other sports you won’t be able to do it all the time and at every club.

I believe you perform better in specifically designed golf shoes don’t you reckon ? Shoes that have the right amount of grip and comfort- just like in tennis or cricket or football or indeed any other sport that requires you to wear shoes/boots etc

And all clothing has been designed specifically for golf - just the same as football shirts and shorts and rugby tops etc. People that play regular sports it appears to me will play that sport wearing the clothing and footwear designed to be used when playing that sport.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actually, this is a point I was recently pondering. If golf is a sport, why are the players taking part specifically not allowed to wear sportswear?

I understand about tradition, but other sports have survived departing from traditional dress, tennis outfits, rugby shirts, ski wear, just for a few examples.
With a few exceptions, nearly every other sport and leisure activity has moved on, seems odd that golf refuses to do this for some reason.

Not entirely true. Cricket teams still wear whites, or creams to be more accurate. They also wear long trousers, not shorts. Football teams wear a kit that matches, as do rugby players, in fact most team sports do. You can train in different gear but come match day it is uniform on. Tennis has progressed, with the exception of Wimbledon.

Snooker players no longer have to wear bow ties but the look is still formal.

Athletics and cycling have gear that suits the sport.

The weird thing relating to this thread is that the restriction extends to after the sport itself has finished.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
But what is wrong with a tracksuit, t-shirt or similar?

In most other sports, you basically wear what lets you perform best, not what someone else deems to look good. Why does golf restrict this freedom?

I understand motorsport may mandate leathers or fireproofs for the participants own safety.
I understand weightlifting restricts elbow coverings, so judges can see if the weight is pressed out.
I understand rugby limits stud dimensions for other players safety.
I understand swimming restricts "sharkskin" suits because they are deemed too performance enhancing.

Why does golf restrict the wearing of tracksuits or Tshirts, apart from the fact some people think it does not look very smart.

Rugby: as you say studs, not only on length but must be in accordance with world rugby regulations. Likewise any padding, scrum cap and mouth guards. No tights are to be allowed on the pitch, if the ref tells you take them off and you don't then you can be sent off. Shorts and top and a club kit so aren't really relatable to golf as you don't have much choice. I have to wear the same kit as the rest of my team, with a number on the back.

Football is much the same. As is cricket, although in cricker, amateur level anyway you have more choice but it still has to be white.

Golf has probably the greatest choice of what a player can wear over any other sport, there are only very few restrictions. Must have a collar (although Woods' shirts show that even this is not the case) no denim, no tracksuits. Other than that the world is your oyster, every sports brand has polo shirts, most sports brand will have some form of technical trouser of shorts. And if you don't want to splash out on sports gear you can pick up trouser/shorts and polo shirts from practically every clothes manufacturer in the world.

You can wear any colour, any design you like. Take rugby I will be limited to about a dozen companies that make the equipment and clothes I wear, similarly cricket.

You then have the benefit that golf wear can be worn anywhere really. I am currently at work in slazanger golf trousers and an adidas golf top, I look reasonably smart. Do you think I would be looked at the same if I rocked up to work in a tracksuit and technical t-shirt?

Every sport has restriction on what you can wear, golf actually has the least, whilst on the course anyway

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s how it’s handled or enforced that is the key

I don’t personally agree with tie and jacket but I will bring mine along if requested

However my friends played one course in Essex (Thorndon Park) and the pro very rudely said to him you can’t play in those socks you will have to buy white ones.. he didn’t mind buying the socks it was the way he was spoken to about it.

I played south herts golf club a few times now and once the person in the clubhouse pointed to my hat whilst I was taking it off.. we were all coming in from a freezing cold round and straight into the bar for lunch.. (no need to change) straight through the patio door. I was mid taking my hat off when he said you will have to remove that. Another unnecessary comment in my view. If I had been walking about the bar in it for 5 mins fair play but just walking in the door and be midway taking it off.. jog on

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it’s how it’s handled or enforced that is the key

I don’t personally agree with tie and jacket but I will bring mine along if requested

However my friends played one course in Essex (Thorndon Park) and the pro very rudely said to him you can’t play in those socks you will have to buy white ones.. he didn’t mind buying the socks it was the way he was spoken to about it.

I played south herts golf club a few times now and once the person in the clubhouse pointed to my hat whilst I was taking it off.. we were all coming in from a freezing cold round and straight into the bar for lunch.. (no need to change) straight through the patio door. I was mid taking my hat off when he said you will have to remove that. Another unnecessary comment in my view. If I had been walking about the bar in it for 5 mins fair play but just walking in the door and be midway taking it off.. jog on
I find the idea of being told what socks to wear quite staggering. The collar debates, the jacket and tie stuff, all debateable, but I can't believe anyone here believes that we, as adults, should be told what colour socks we are allowed to wear. That is absolutely unreasonable to me.

Agree with you on the chap barking about your hat as well. Sounds like a jobsworth to me. He only had to wait a few seconds to see you were taking it off.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the idea of being told what socks to wear quite staggering. The collar debates, the jacket and tie stuff, all debateable, but I can't believe anyone here believes that we, as adults, should be told what colour socks we are allowed to wear. That is absolutely unreasonable to me.

Agree with you on the chap barking about your hat as well. Sounds like a jobsworth to me. He only had to wait a few seconds to see you were taking it off.

My mate was very new to golf at the time and just assumed black shoes = black socks.. he didn’t own a second pair of golf shoes back then so wore some smart dark shorts and thought nothing of it

Didn’t expect to be told he had to dress like Micheal Jackson lol

I’ve had a different mate (at south herts again) he told to tuck his shirt in.. fair enough but you only had to look at him to realise only reason it wasn’t tucked in was because his belly was preventing it to be tucked.. but rules are rules and all that..

Jesus lol

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not entirely true. Cricket teams still wear whites, or creams to be more accurate. They also wear long trousers, not shorts. Football teams wear a kit that matches, as do rugby players, in fact most team sports do. You can train in different gear but come match day it is uniform on. Tennis has progressed, with the exception of Wimbledon.

Snooker players no longer have to wear bow ties but the look is still formal.

Athletics and cycling have gear that suits the sport.

The weird thing relating to this thread is that the restriction extends to after the sport itself has finished.

Snooker has the mandate, so is in the same boat as golf.

Does cricket mandate white? I assumed not, as I have seen England in blue, India in light blue and Australia in yellow, but I don't follow the sport, so could be talking nonsense.
Additionally team sports are a little different, the purpose of wearing the same is to be able to identify your team mates. not just because the board like that colour.

Athletics and cycling are not mandated, that's just the best choice of gear for the sport. Golf shoes fall into this category, both being the best choice generally, and also to protect the greens (only soft spikes) I can understand this rule.

One thing I will add, people keep telling me about conforming if you want to play nice courses etc.. This post isn't about me being the rebel trackie wearing golfer, and some may be shocked to learn I don't play golf in cut off denims and a string vest. I am just trying to stimulate discussion on the concept of a sport forcing an arbitrary dress code just to conform to someones idea of smart.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is in my opinion where the issue Is, it's a seniors match that I refer to, which strikes me that it's a bunch of dinosaurs who are continuing to uphold it, I'm probably the youngest player on the team.

One of the funny things is that the requirement is for a jacket, there is no specifics as to the type of jacket and some show their discontent with the type of jacket.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
One of our club's first senior matches is against Downfield and I'm sure they insist on jacket and tie.

Blairgowrie ??

There are only 3 clubs that insist, St Andrews, Ladybank and Blairgowrie, I just don't get it tbh but I will conform without complaint, though I didn't put my name down for the Ladybank game as it's the day before we play St Andrews so you get one or the other and doubt Ladybank will be that great in March.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Snooker has the mandate, so is in the same boat as golf.

Does cricket mandate white? I assumed not, as I have seen England in blue, India in light blue and Australia in yellow, but I don't follow the sport, so could be talking nonsense.
Additionally team sports are a little different, the purpose of wearing the same is to be able to identify your team mates. not just because the board like that colour.

Athletics and cycling are not mandated, that's just the best choice of gear for the sport. Golf shoes fall into this category, both being the best choice generally, and also to protect the greens (only soft spikes) I can understand this rule.

One thing I will add, people keep telling me about conforming if you want to play nice courses etc.. This post isn't about me being the rebel trackie wearing golfer, and some may be shocked to learn I don't play golf in cut off denims and a string vest. I am just trying to stimulate discussion on the concept of a sport forcing an arbitrary dress code just to conform to someones idea of smart.

I get that, don't worry. What is smart to one person is clearly different to another, as this thread confirms.

Incidentally, cricketers in different colours is from the one day game only. All other cricket is still in whites.

D

Deleted member 18588

I get that, don't worry. What is smart to one person is clearly different to another, as this thread confirms.

Incidentally, cricketers in different colours is from the one day game only. All other cricket is still in whites.

Cricket is in white to enable the ball to be seen against the background of a player and, as a result, some leagues are having to control clubs and the amount of colour creeping onto shirts and modern style sweaters.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can play a run of the mill course any day I want but it's not every day you get to play a Royal St Georges or a Muirfield. When I get the chance it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I have to dress up.

This. Spot on and for a chance to play the old course and then sample the inside of the clubhouse, a jacket and tie seems a small inconvenience to put up with. In terms of ordinary club events, my club has done away with formal and jacket and tie for the vast majority of events and matches with the exception of one which is always a formal sit down meal after. Other than that, we have brunch before we play with the opposition and all mix in together in our golf gear (less golf shoes) and have sandwiches and chips etc after in the bar waiting for the results. Nothing formal, not extended delay and makes the day significantly shorter for those on a tight schedule

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cricket is in white to enable the ball to be seen against the background of a player and, as a result, some leagues are having to control clubs and the amount of colour creeping onto shirts and modern style sweaters.

nteresting, so there is purpose to this one too.
I