Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The club then insisted that they keep their jackets on throughout as they had been unable to contact the club captain and apparently he was the only one who could authorise people to remove jackets in the bar and dining area.

Now even diehards must accept this is nonsense.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Blairgowrie ??

There are only 3 clubs that insist, St Andrews, Ladybank and Blairgowrie, I just don't get it tbh but I will conform without complaint, though I didn't put my name down for the Ladybank game as it's the day before we play St Andrews so you get one or the other and doubt Ladybank will be that great in March.

3 clubs plus your own you mean?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you have it the wrong way round. The ‘if asked for’ in your first paragraph is crucial to good manners and respect. The OP states a J&T is required, not requested. If the club requests that you wear a J&T it would be disrespectful not to. If they have a rule demanding you wear one then they are being disrespectful.

Making rules dictating what people have to wear deserves no respect from anyone. If you want people to respect and accept the wishes of others, then ask nicely. It’s not difficult.

No - I think I've got it quite right - in this context a requirement to wear a jacket is simply a request that I know I have to comply with :) And that's fine by me.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aren't they a J&T in the bar club? I thought all St Andrews clubs were.

No, but here is a clubhouse dress code; no jeans, no collarless shirts, no trainers. Only club matches that use the restaurant are J&T.

Sounds like a perfectly decent club to me. No idea how they let Cabby in all those years ago. ;)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
They didn't know me and I was hardly ever in the place except the time when they told my wife she wasn't allowed in the bar and had to go downstairs 🤔 where we were then asked if we were with the funeral party while dressed in bright summer clothes 🤣🤣

Pro Zach

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No - I think I've got it quite right - in this context a requirement to wear a jacket is simply a request that I know I have to comply with :) And that's fine by me.

Yes - you are quite right – if you ignore the meaning and definition of words. But in no context is a requirement the same as a request or a request compulsory – because that isn’t what the words mean.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes - you are quite right – if you ignore the meaning and definition of words. But in no context is a requirement the same as a request or a request compulsory – because that isn’t what the words mean.

Yes I know. Just in this context I always consider it a request rather than a requirement...I know that it isn't a request but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact sometimes I rather like being ask to wear a jacket and tie - that a club still sees these things as quite important in certain scenarios and circumstances.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I know. Just in this context I always consider it a request rather than a requirement...I know that it isn't a request but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact sometimes I rather like being ask to wear a jacket and tie - that a club still sees these things as quite important in certain scenarios and circumstances.

If you believe it is important still then why not do it anyway? My grandad lived in a downtrodden part of Liverpool, worked in a factory all of his life on the shop floor. Never wore a tie to work in his life. Whenever he would go to his local pub, proper spit and sawdust place, he would put on a tie. Every time, never went to the pub without his tie on. Definitely no requirement, it is just what he did. If golfers feel that strongly about the tradition of J & T then I see no reason why they don't follow it through at all times, don't wait to be told you have to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you believe it is important still then why not do it anyway? My grandad lived in a downtrodden part of Liverpool, worked in a factory all of his life on the shop floor. Never wore a tie to work in his life. Whenever he would go to his local pub, proper spit and sawdust place, he would put on a tie. Every time, never went to the pub without his tie on. Definitely no requirement, it is just what he did. If golfers feel that strongly about the tradition of J & T then I see no reason why they don't follow it through at all times, don't wait to be told you have to.

If I played more away matches then I think I most probably always would take a jacket and tie with me - whether required or not. It's nice to be smartly dressed in jacket and tie and (especially when not required) shows a certain respect to the hosting club.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My old scratch league partner once walked into the bar immaculately dressed apart from his suit troosers.
It was his reaction to the secretary scolding him for sitting at the bar in golf gear at one minute past six. [J&T after 6pm]
The secretary knew full well that he was just about to change for the meal.

He was one of the clubs most popular members and we all had a good laugh at this. The secretary left the club soon after.:lol: