Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I played more away matches then I think I most probably always would take a jacket and tie with me - whether required or not. It's nice to be smartly dressed in jacket and tie and (especially when not required) shows a certain respect to the hosting club.

If I keep applying that logic, why not wear it at your home club? Do you not respect there?

There is a flippancy to my comment but it gets to the hub of this whole issue. Certain people believe it is showing respect. The rest of us don't link J & T with respect at all. I show respect by being polite to people, far more important than wearing a jacket, although I have no doubt you are also polite so please do not take that as a slight :thup:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes I know. Just in this context I always consider it a request rather than a requirement...I know that it isn't a request but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact sometimes I rather like being ask to wear a jacket and tie - that a club still sees these things as quite important in certain scenarios and circumstances.

But doesn't that just show the golf club views a purely decorative clothing accessory as important. But the necktie serves no purpose so how can it be important?
(I guess at one time it often displayed a past link to a certain military background or university college education so a person could pre-judge or befriend/discriminate against the wearer depending on what the tie depicted but I'd like to think that should be consigned to past generations)

D

Deleted member 16999

If I keep applying that logic, why not wear it at your home club? Do you not respect there?

There is a flippancy to my comment but it gets to the hub of this whole issue. Certain people believe it is showing respect. The rest of us don't link J & T with respect at all. I show respect by being polite to people, far more important than wearing a jacket, although I have no doubt you are also polite so please do not take that as a slight :thup:
Absolutely spot on :thup:
J & T - £1.50 from a charity shop says so much about the person.

D

Deleted member 23270

Has anyone actually come up with a valid reason NOT to wear a jacket and tie other than 'why should I have to?'

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone actually come up with a valid reason NOT to wear a jacket and tie other than 'why should I have to?'

They are uncomfortable, are not golf related clothing, we would not choose to wear them.

Reverse the question, why should golfers wear them after a round?

D

Deleted member 16999

If it’s to maintain a standard of dress then fill your boots, it’s the making out it somehow elevates the individual wearing it, to quote the old saying, “you can’t make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear”

D

Deleted member 23270

They are uncomfortable, are not golf related clothing, we would not choose to wear them.

Uncomfortable? Maybe you bought the wrong size?
Not golf related? Who is asking you to swing a club wearing them?

D

Deleted member 16999

You’ve not answered his point though.
There is only 1 reason to wear J&T and that’s because......(insert club/establishment/etc here) said so, all the other reasons are personal preferences.
The food won’t taste any better, a scumbag in a J&T is still a scumbag.

D

Deleted member 18588

Reverse the question, why should golfers wear them after a round?

Exactly!

Obviously any club and its members are at liberty to apply any dress standards they wish (and I will abide by them).

However, that does not alter the fact that tradition alone is not a valid reason. If it were then we would be required to wear J&T at all times in all parts of the clubhouse because that was the traditional way.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't find ties comfortable, I'm not alone with that. If I had to wear one it would be loose with the top button undone, probably less smart than a golf polo shirt.

I don't wear a jacket at work, or in my social life. I have one for funerals and that is it. It is not an item of clothing that is relevant to me or many other people.

By golf related I meant, as I am sure you would know, that it is not part of regular golf wear, eg polo shirt, jumper or modern 1/4 zip top. It is not relevant, it is an outmoded view of what people believe is smart.

D

Deleted member 23270

You’ve not answered his point though.
There is only 1 reason to wear J&T and that’s because......(insert club/establishment/etc here) said so, all the other reasons are personal preferences.
The food won’t taste any better, a scumbag in a J&T is still a scumbag.

A 'scumbag' is less likely to a) own a J&T other than for court appearances and b) want to play the type of club that requires this dress code other than to case the joint.

I still haven't seen any valid reason why people can't wear J&T apart from not wanting to.

D

Deleted member 23270

I don't find ties comfortable, I'm not alone with that. If I had to wear one it would be loose with the top button undone, probably less smart than a golf polo shirt.

I don't wear a jacket at work, or in my social life. I have one for funerals and that is it. It is not an item of clothing that is relevant to me or many other people.

By golf related I meant, as I am sure you would know, that it is not part of regular golf wear, eg polo shirt, jumper or modern 1/4 zip top. It is not relevant, it is an outmoded view of what people believe is smart.

In your opinion!

D

Deleted member 23270

Exactly!

Obviously any club and its members are at liberty to apply any dress standards they wish (and I will abide by them).

However, that does not alter the fact that tradition alone is not a valid reason. If it were then we would be required to wear J&T at all times in all parts of the clubhouse because that was the traditional way.

Clubs that have a J&T rule generally only apply it after a certain time or in certain areas of the clubhouse. Get out by 6pm or don't eat in the dining room. What's the problem?

D

Deleted member 16999

A 'scumbag' is less likely to a) own a J&T other than for court appearances and b) want to play the type of club that requires this dress code other than to case the joint.

I still haven't seen any valid reason why people can't wear J&T apart from not wanting to.
You’ve already had examples on this thread of people being forced into ill fitting jackets and manky ties.

Not all scumbags are poor or working class, you get scumbags in all walks of life. :thup:

D

Deleted member 23270

You’ve already had examples on this thread of people being forced into ill fitting jackets and manky ties.

Not all scumbags are poor or working class, you get scumbags in all walks of life. :thup:

The reason for that is generally because those people have ignored the dress code and not come prepared so been forced to wear whatever the club had available.

As for scumbags I agree, it is an attitude issue.

D

Deleted member 16999

The reason for that is generally because those people have ignored the dress code and not come prepared so been forced to wear whatever the club had available.

As for scumbags I agree, it is an attitude issue.
The individual has messed up, agreed for whatever reason, how then is it right to make them unconfortable or embarrass them?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In your opinion!

It is a somewhat outdated view of what constitutes smart. You only have to look at trends across workplaces to see that. There aren't very many that still stick to wearing a suit.

However, that doesn't mean it's wrong, or inappropriate for a golf club. That's up to them and their members.

Personally, I would be put off any event that required a J&T / dinner. Primarily because I am time poor and would prefer a sociable drink at the bar and then be on my way.

Fortunately, there seems to be something to suit everyone out there.