Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes the clubhouse with the small balcony’s that look over the front of the 18th green. Golfcitydweller who used to be on here invited us for a beer. Like stepping back 100 years.

Jim did say he would get us temporary membership next time we go up, so imagine that would be at the New/Jubilee clubhouse ? As you say very confusing.

Yep def The St Andrews Golf Club, had many a pint with GCD and the boys, views to die for.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take it all back :whistle:

it did add to the occasion, if you've stepped inside the New Clubhouse you'd know why it's J&T, what a place, and the clubhouse at the course is just as stunning,

Scrubbed up well hasn't it? Glad you enjoyed it.

Easy to see which clubhouse it is on the club website, nestled between Russacks hotel and very recognisable white building with white tower sat above the Swilken bridge: http://www.newgolfclubstandrews.co.uk

The St Andrews GC is further up the Links road across from the 18th Green. They're both great clubs with similarly impressive clubhouses. But here's where it gets confusing; the StAndrews GC is an older club but The New was the first to have a dedicated clubhouse. The New has been on Links road for much longer. The St Andrews GC didn't have a permanent home until 1905, initially on Golf Place near to the Dunvegan Hotel, it then secured its home next to the 18th green in 1931 whereas The New has been on Links road since it was founded in 1902. So the New is the oldest clubhouse on Links road. Easy to remember!

"Famously" and with a slight twinge of sadness the New clubhouse will probably be best noted in history as the place where Tom Morris came to his end after falling down the stairs.

There's a tiny little bit of rivalry between the St Andrews GC and The New but all in good competitive spirit as many people are members of both as it provides a good spread of competitions and facilities.

It really is a magical place, we don't like to talk about it. ;)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've played over there many times, hardly ever went in to the club after our games but yesterday sitting in that clubhouse really did make you realise how magical the place is. Bay window sits just back from Granny Clarks Wind so you can watch all the approach shots.

What a place it must be in when the Open is on !!

Is it the New you're a member of Jim ??

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a place it must be in when the Open is on !!

Is it the New you're a member of Jim ??

Yep. It was great in the Open, watching Arnie (the club's 4th Honorary Member) walk up and down the 18th was an incredibly poignant moment the last time. Great memory that I feel privileged to share. During Open week the access to the clubhouse has to be limited in numbers and, as can be imagined, tables and seats at the windows are in huge demand. A ballot for a table in the restaurants rota is done so that as many people as possible get to enjoy it, everyone has equal chance and it's all done in very fair fashion.

There are some small downsides to give some balance. It's a bit of an awkward location when it comes to competitions played on any course except the Old. Having to trudge or drive back from the New/Jube/Eden to enter a scorecard is a bit of a pain, especially with limited parking. Not too big a price to pay in the end but it does factor in some people's thoughts and expectations of what makes a good clubhouse. People who prefer convenience over class are obviously all wrong though. ;)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I did look at the board of honorary members, Arnie/Tom Morris/ was it Harry Vardon ? and A.N. other that slips my mind.

Ye walking over to play the other courses can be a pain but I agree a very small price to pay to have a clubhouse like that.

Can you sort out the 40mph crosswinds for the next time we're over there though, that wasn't very hospitable :whoo:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did look at the board of honorary members, Arnie/Tom Morris/ was it Harry Vardon ? and A.N. other that slips my mind.

Tom Morris, Sandy Herd, Bobby Jones, Arnold Palmer.

Don't know who's going to be the next one but there aren't many people who can put their name 5th on that list. It can only be Jack in my humble opinion. :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Tom Morris, Sandy Herd, Bobby Jones, Arnold Palmer.

Don't know who's going to be the next one but there aren't many people who can put their name 5th on that list. It can only be Jack in my humble opinion. :)
Amazed that Jack is not already on the list. :mad:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Yep. It was great in the Open, watching Arnie (the club's 4th Honorary Member) walk up and down the 18th was an incredibly poignant moment the last time. Great memory that I feel privileged to share. During Open week the access to the clubhouse has to be limited in numbers and, as can be imagined, tables and seats at the windows are in huge demand. A ballot for a table in the restaurants rota is done so that as many people as possible get to enjoy it, everyone has equal chance and it's all done in very fair fashion.

There are some small downsides to give some balance. It's a bit of an awkward location when it comes to competitions played on any course except the Old. Having to trudge or drive back from the New/Jube/Eden to enter a scorecard is a bit of a pain, especially with limited parking. Not too big a price to pay in the end but it does factor in some people's thoughts and expectations of what makes a good clubhouse. People who prefer convenience over class are obviously all wrong though. ;)

I was fortunate enough to join Jim for a meal and beverage in the New Clubhouse following my round on the Old Course. It was a superb experience. The bar has such an iconic view that you cannot help but enjoy it. Food was very good too. The view from the dining/function room upstairs is simply loveley.

Cannot wait to get up there again.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I take it all back :whistle:

it did add to the occasion, if you've stepped inside the New Clubhouse you'd know why it's J&T, what a place, and the clubhouse at the course is just as stunning, the only downside was 40mph cross winds on a links course, but hey ho...great day out.

Good to see someone change their opinion on such a divisive topic.