Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm surprised they allowed such riff raff in the club, I'll have a word to make sure it doesn't happen again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm surprised they allowed such riff raff in the club, I'll have a word to make sure it doesn't happen again.

wasn't in one of the clubs, just the new/jubilee visitors clubhouse.

Riff Raff, i'll have you know i've been in the R&A clubhouse for dinner and i didn't mind wearing J&T

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
nae idea what King of kings is but I'm guessing it must just be a senior match requirement,

It was a nation wide forum comp a few years ago. But my point is St Andrews [new] club itself didn't require jackets to be worn anywhere, so it looks like the seniors team committee has made the rule.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I was a member of the St Andrews club, they didnt' even allow women in the bar, did I mention dinosaurs earlier in this topic.... I did hear they'd let anyone in the R&A clubhouse though :whistle:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It was a nation wide forum comp a few years ago. But my point is St Andrews [new] club itself didn't require jackets to be worn anywhere, so it looks like the seniors team committee has made the rule.

we payed and played why would we wear J&T?? Cabby is talking about a club match as in his club against one of the St Andrews clubs, not the course:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand why this is such an issue for people to deal with. In the same way that you are not welcome in a fine dining restaurant in ripped jeans and flip flops (and quite rightly so), a clubhouse requires you to dress in certain attire to access certain areas. I have no issue with that and especially not at a place like St. Andrews.

People seem intent on changing the face of the game just for the sake of it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Generally a nice nonsense and, if asked for, a sign of respect to a club, opponents or a match that I 'm more than happy to comply with - absolutely no complaints or tutting about 'not moving with the times'.

That wider society these days seems to generally care less about respect and acceptance of the wishes of others over self (to it's detriment) does not mean that we in golf have to go down the same route. it's not difficult.

Pro Zach

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Generally a nice nonsense and, if asked for, a sign of respect to a club, opponents or a match that I 'm more than happy to comply with - absolutely no complaints or tutting about 'not moving with the times'.

That wider society these days seems to generally care less about respect and acceptance of the wishes of others over self (to it's detriment) does not mean that we in golf have to go down the same route. it's not difficult.

I think you have it the wrong way round. The ‘if asked for’ in your first paragraph is crucial to good manners and respect. The OP states a J&T is required, not requested. If the club requests that you wear a J&T it would be disrespectful not to. If they have a rule demanding you wear one then they are being disrespectful.

Making rules dictating what people have to wear deserves no respect from anyone. If you want people to respect and accept the wishes of others, then ask nicely. It’s not difficult.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This is what is stated in the team list.

Jackets and ties to be worn for meal.

When the games list went up is clearly stated, Jacket and Tie required for particular matches, I knew this beforehand when putting my name down, I'm happy to comply, I'm still of the opinion it's a load of nonsense but hey ho....

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
About ten or so years ago we had a club away-day. It was a really hot day, and in the evening the venue where we had the evening meal was really warm - no air conditioning or any kind of ventilation. I have a physical sweating problem, so I wasn't happy sitting down for the meal in my jacket.

Our captain that year was really old school and insisted we kept our jackets on throughout the meal. The club we were at had no such requirement.

I remember looking to my neighbour, a past captain, who was also struggling in the heat, and thinking, what is this all about?

Myself and my friend next to me spent a miserable two hours feeling the sweat drip down our backs, nipping outside as often as possible to take a breather.

I have never stayed for the evening meal at an away-day since, just because I never want to suffer like that again.

Not everyone can sit down in a warn room with J+T and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ve never played anywhere or attended a golf function that needed jacket and tie but I wonder why its required? I think why they might want jacket and tie when dining in their restaurant (and I don’t think its tradition) I think it’s more that they want to make sure players have changed

There’s some that wouldn’t shower or freshen up after the game and would you really want to sit next to them indoors for a couple of hours (especially on a warm day) if they just walked from 18th green to take their seat. But if the club insists on a change of clothing it will increase the likelihood that players will shower/freshen up first

Picking a jacket and tie is just a set of clothing to distinguish it from players who played in chinos/polo and then might change into chinos/polo, how do you know they actually changed (showered) at all

Naturally if you’re just having a quick drink post round (and even bar snack food) with your mates after a social game you can get away with staying dressed in the clothes you played in and eat/drink in the bar/lounge areas then shower at home, but that’s quite different to having a couple of courses in a restaurant environment after playing

And if you think you’re not that sweaty/dirty after a game ask yourself, do you want the person cooking your food to be still in their chinos/polo if they happened to play before starting on shift or might you want them to change first? (and remember you’ve seen them peeing round the course and running their hands through their sweaty mop of hair too)

I’d never describe myself as a fan of jacket and tie in a golf restaurant but neither do I want to endure some random manky/sweaty bloke next to me for two hours

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played in a Society organisers event 2 weeks ago.. the dress code for lunch was smart casual

I made the point of full on shower to warm up (week before the snow .. was so cold) and changed into my smart casual

My playing partners and many others didn’t even change

Very posh club aswell

Nobody battered an eyelid

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I played in a Society organisers event 2 weeks ago.. the dress code for lunch was smart casual

I made the point of full on shower to warm up (week before the snow .. was so cold) and changed into my smart casual

My playing partners and many others didn’t even change

Very posh club aswell

Nobody battered an eyelid

I think a caveat does need putting in place in these circumstances, in that it should state a change from golfing attire or that which was worn on the course into Smart Casual is required.

Or just say Showering is compulsory and a change of clothes you dirty smelly inconsiderate bar stewards 😡

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
About ten or so years ago we had a club away-day. It was a really hot day, and in the evening the venue where we had the evening meal was really warm - no air conditioning or any kind of ventilation. I have a physical sweating problem, so I wasn't happy sitting down for the meal in my jacket.

Our captain that year was really old school and insisted we kept our jackets on throughout the meal. The club we were at had no such requirement.

I remember looking to my neighbour, a past captain, who was also struggling in the heat, and thinking, what is this all about?

Myself and my friend next to me spent a miserable two hours feeling the sweat drip down our backs, nipping outside as often as possible to take a breather.

I have never stayed for the evening meal at an away-day since, just because I never want to suffer like that again.

Not everyone can sit down in a warn room with J+T and enjoy it.
That's farcical. If they want to say you need to wear a jacket and tie to the table then that's up to them, but to not allow you to slip your jacket off and put it on your chair is ridiculous and offensive. I would rarely eat wearing a jacket anyway - even if I'm at a wedding (one of the few times I'd be wearing a jacket), once it's food time the jacket comes off and goes on my chair.

DCB

Visit site
Fortunately times have moved on from what they were 35-40 years ago. I can remember having to change into jacket & tie after the monthly medal. Seems long time ago now. Other than Club Prizegiving Dinner, I don't think I've worn a jacket in my own club for a long time. However, some other clubs aren't as progressive. Does that mean I will not play there ... no, it just means I take my jacket & tie for after the golf. No hardship at all.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have seen a few interesting sights at J&T after the golf events - guys throwing on a J&T but keeping their mismatching golf trousers on. Can get a bit daft.

Prefer G&T myself....

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The firm I worked for were top sponsors at a charity day at a nearby club. It was in July and very warm to say the least. It was over whole day and everyone had to change into jacket and tie for the meal in between rounds. The club then insisted that they keep their jackets on throughout as they had been unable to contact the club captain and apparently he was the only one who could authorise people to remove jackets in the bar and dining area.