Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I was on a previous clubs committees a few years ago. At the second meeting I attended another newbie asked if we could drop the tie code as he hated ties. All the men piped up and stated that they also hated ties. One of the ladies on the committee said that it looked smart and we should continue wearing them. The other blokes looked grim, she was a scary lady, but I suggested that if the ladies on the committee were happy to come to meetings in ties in future then we would continue to do the same, equality etc. The gradual smiles that crept around the table were a joy to watch. The ties were dropped.

In terms of dress codes, ladies have the better deal. Everything else relating to golf, not so much.

Unless you want something other than pink, purple or white with pink or purple.

My wife took up golf, she doesn't like pink or purple. Her ladies clubs are purple, Srixon ladies balls are pink. All top are pink or purple, it's like all golf manufacturers think women are in capable of liking other colours

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
If you win then I assume you won't be attending the prize giving then?
You would assume correctly.
At an old club they had a J+T policy on monthly presentation nights. I never went. Major presentation of which I won a board comp and trophy. didn’t go.

My ties are for weddings and interviews and they usually end up round my forehead at some point. And jackets are mops for vomit.

New club, strictly casual. Collected runner up major voucher. Even took the missus and treated her to a soda and lime.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As Jeremy Clarkson so ably demonstrates, no one over the age of 30 should wear jeans ;)

What a put down Hacker
My missus is rolling around the conservatory floor at me being compared to JClarkson
I feel waist size is more important than age as a measure re wearing jeans.
34 " waist for me is actually acceptable for both jeans and uplus fours .!!!!!!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
At those stuffy clubs why is there no equivalent of a Women's 'Jacket and tie'.
OOO these days.

Has caused me consternation a few times before playing one of these clubs.

"Please note, dress code is jacket and tie"

Not a word about what that means for us, tends to suggest they don't really want us there. Usually ends with me taking a smart outfit, not changing into it and nobody saying anything.... :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

You would assume correctly.
At an old club they had a J+T policy on monthly presentation nights. I never went. Major presentation of which I won a board comp and trophy. didn’t go.

My ties are for weddings and interviews and they usually end up round my forehead at some point. And jackets are mops for vomit.

New club, strictly casual. Collected runner up major voucher. Even took the missus and treated her to a soda and lime.

Love it! Hope you qualify for the Ryder Cup some day, can't wait to see the team picture with only 11 players in it :rofl:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

My wife took up golf, she doesn't like pink or purple. Her ladies clubs are purple, Srixon ladies balls are pink. All top are pink or purple, it's like all golf manufacturers think women are in capable of liking other colours

Yip. And even if you see nice women's golf gear in a magazine or a tour player wearing nobody stocks it!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Fair point. At least she does not have to wear a purple tie though.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not a problem but why should it be necessary?

No issue with changing after golf and but smart casual should, in this day and age, be acceptable.

Totally agree. Pretentious nonsense specifying jacket and tie will not change the character/behaviour of the wearer.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think they should do away with the green jacket at the Masters, just give the winner a new polo shirt :thup:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really dont mind the jacket and tie thing. My club, its not essential, smart casual is acceptable, in the bar, golf clothing is fine, jeans, but no sports shirts etc.
Played a match at Royal Portrush a few years back and it was jacket and tie afterwards for the meal. It was fine, great facilities, so showered and refreshed after the game, stuck the suit on, no probs at all, the team were welcoming and friendly, had a good meal and a laugh, didnt bother me at all to have the jacket etc on.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have also tried convincing our boss that we don’t need to be overdressed in the office. Especially as the only clients we see are truck drivers!

I think a lot of places may head down the route of smart casual. But, if you look at golfs core demographic, the majority of them who have done office work will have for some time worn suits as a uniform. So it’s hardly an alien concept for them to wear one.

For those that think it’s stuffy, what are your thoughts on people wearing jeans or tracksuits on the course? Surely you can’t complain that they expect a certain level of dress at one part and not the other?

Actually, this is a point I was recently pondering. If golf is a sport, why are the players taking part specifically not allowed to wear sportswear?

I understand about tradition, but other sports have survived departing from traditional dress, tennis outfits, rugby shirts, ski wear, just for a few examples.
With a few exceptions, nearly every other sport and leisure activity has moved on, seems odd that golf refuses to do this for some reason.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Actually, this is a point I was recently pondering. If golf is a sport, why are the players taking part specifically not allowed to wear sportswear?

I understand about tradition, but other sports have survived departing from traditional dress, tennis outfits, rugby shirts, ski wear, just for a few examples.
With a few exceptions, nearly every other sport and leisure activity has moved on, seems odd that golf refuses to do this for some reason.

Do you think that modern hi tech materials used by Nike, Under Armour etc aren't suitable for golf?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is in my opinion where the issue Is, it's a seniors match that I refer to, which strikes me that it's a bunch of dinosaurs who are continuing to uphold it, I'm probably the youngest player on the team.

Seniors section of the club ive just left struggled to raise a side every time the oppo requested J&T afterwards

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you think that modern hi tech materials used by Nike, Under Armour etc aren't suitable for golf?

They are an improvement on past clothing, but still could be better. What about golf necessitates long socks, or needing a collar, to pick just 2 examples? What is so terrible about wearing a tracksuit or a T-shirt?

I will wear what is the required standard wherever I play, but it does puzzle me why sportswear is banned. It seems strange to stick to tradition in a way that you don't really see in other sports. As long as the clothing is not obscene or prevents the rules being followed, it should be fine.

In this area, I think the women's professional game is a bit more progressive.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sportswear isn’t banned - golf sportswear is perfectly acceptable at all golf club - golf trousers , shorts , socks , tops etc etc

Each sport will it own sports clothing - and depending on each sport and situation you will be required to wear specific clothing - golf clothing has evolved throughout the years just as it has in other sports. The clothing now is perfect to play golf in during all weather - shorts and light tops in the summer plus spineless shoes that are like trainers , warm gear for the winter

And if you really want to wear trainers and a tracksuit then there are plenty of courses around that will allow it

Just as there are more than enough golf clubs that don’t require you to wear a J and T

But I’m firmly in the camp that if a club requires you to wear one after or a society requires one then if I believe the course and society are worth then I have zero problem putting one on

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But what is wrong with a tracksuit, t-shirt or similar?

In most other sports, you basically wear what lets you perform best, not what someone else deems to look good. Why does golf restrict this freedom?

I understand motorsport may mandate leathers or fireproofs for the participants own safety.
I understand weightlifting restricts elbow coverings, so judges can see if the weight is pressed out.
I understand rugby limits stud dimensions for other players safety.
I understand swimming restricts "sharkskin" suits because they are deemed too performance enhancing.

Why does golf restrict the wearing of tracksuits or Tshirts, apart from the fact some people think it does not look very smart.

D

Deleted Member 1156

They are an improvement on past clothing, but still could be better. What about golf necessitates long socks, or needing a collar, to pick just 2 examples? What is so terrible about wearing a tracksuit or a T-shirt?

I will wear what is the required standard wherever I play, but it does puzzle me why sportswear is banned. It seems strange to stick to tradition in a way that you don't really see in other sports. As long as the clothing is not obscene or prevents the rules being followed, it should be fine.

In this area, I think the women's professional game is a bit more progressive.

There is nothing wrong with wearing tracksuits or t shirts but you will be very limited as to where you can play. Personally, I like to play nice courses and if that means J&T afterwards then so be it.

D

Deleted member 1418

Like others, I have no problem with putting on jacket, shirt, tie after a round if that is what's required by the club. In my opinion dressing smartly at some old, traditional, clubs - like we have to do at RCP and RSG on the Kent trip for the meals afterwards - only enhances the experience.

My club adopts a relaxed dress code now - smart jeans/chinos and polo tops are perfectly acceptable in the clubhouse. Most of us though just stay in our golf gear after a round (if there's no need for a shower or scrub up) and change footwear.