Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

D

Deleted member 18588

Not sure that it's a generational thing.

I will shortly be 69, belong to a member's club, held office at my Club and would, therefore, appear to be the typical "Old fart!" yet to me all this jacket and tie malarkey seems hopelessly outdated.

Mind you I do think some standards should be upheld.

No hats in the clubhouse and no mobiles anywhere!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure that it's a generational thing.

I will shortly be 69, belong to a member's club, held office at my Club and would, therefore, appear to be the typical "Old fart!" yet to me all this jacket and tie malarkey seems hopelessly outdated.

Mind you I do think some standards should be upheld.

No hats in the clubhouse and no mobiles anywhere!

agree with no hats, mobiles on silent but no calls to be taken!!! txt are fine by me

jacket I think is a complete out dated thing

other week went in the bar after a round.. very muddy so I got my waterproof trousers out the car and changed in the changing rooms into them so I was clean. good enough for me

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I am an old fart too and I just don't want to sit for dinner for an hour + after a match, buy our guests a drink and then get home does for me

D

Deleted member 18588

agree with no hats, mobiles on silent but no calls to be taken!!! txt are fine by me

jacket I think is a complete out dated thing

other week went in the bar after a round.. very muddy so I got my waterproof trousers out the car and changed in the changing rooms into them so I was clean. good enough for me

Sorry but waterproofs belong only on the course. If you could put them on could you not just change into a pair of clean trousers.

Reminds me of the time some friends and I played at Delamere Forest on a very wet day. One of our group had forgotten his jacket and was denied access to the lounge until he donned a loaned jacket (two sizes too small) and a gravy stained tie!

Meanwhile a member stood comfortably at the bar still wearing the wet tweed plus fours he had worn to play. Water was dripping off them onto the carpet!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but waterproofs belong only on the course. If you could put them on could you not just change into a pair of clean trousers.

Reminds me of the time some friends and I played at Delamere Forest on a very wet day. One of our group had forgotten his jacket and was denied access to the lounge until he donned a loaned jacket (two sizes too small) and a gravy stained tie!

Meanwhile a member stood comfortably at the bar still wearing the wet tweed plus fours he had worn to play. Water was dripping off them onto the carpet!

no I could not of.. I didn't have any spare trousers on me. Didn't expect to get that muddy but the course had become a bog over the back corner .. and happened to find the boggy part so my leg got covered.. rather than going into the bar muddy I thought on my feet and changed into my waterproofs which were in my boot.. only weren't in my bag because of a last min trolley ban so went to carry the lightest way possible dropping all excess weight.

Nobody noticed but at least I didn't go in the bar covered in mud which I think would have been far worse.

D

Deleted member 18588

Why is it a problem to wear a jacket and tie?

Not a problem but why should it be necessary?

No issue with changing after golf and but smart casual should, in this day and age, be acceptable.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cabby, if you don't have a jacket and tie what do you wear when you are appearing in court?:rofl::rofl:

All our club matches are Jacket and Tie affairs, i tend to wear a blazer myself

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I have no issue complying to a tradition that a club I am visiting wants upholding, however, you should always be able to remove your jacket to eat your meal, sat eating in your jacket is beyond the pale imo.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not a problem but why should it be necessary?

No issue with changing after golf and but smart casual should, in this day and age, be acceptable.

Why is this day and age any different from any previous day and age? Would you expect a high court judge to wear jeans and a t shirt?

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why is this day and age any different from any previous day and age? Would you expect a high court judge to wear jeans and a t shirt?
A court attire is another place that needs updating. Even further behind the times than a stuffy golf club. I’m not advocating a judge wears wears jeans and a t-shrt, but honestly the whole wig and cape business is ridiculous.

why is it when the jacket and tie debate comes up do the ones wanting to keep the tradition come out with the scruffy jeans and t-shirt quote as the alternative. I haven’t seen any modern thinking naysayer on here mention that you should be able to wear whatever you like. I believe most would advocate smart casual.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Why wouldn't you wear a jacket and tie if asked? It's not exactly a human rights violation.

If you don't want to dress like an adult, don't play where it's required. And don't whinge about about it if you don't like the rules, it makes you sound like a stroppy adolescent.

bm

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why wouldn't you wear a jacket and tie if asked? It's not exactly a human rights violation.

If you don't want to dress like an adult, don't play where it's required. And don't whinge about about it if you don't like the rules, it makes you sound like a stroppy adolescent.

bm

Yet another example of people just not reading what's posted

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
whilst I’d prefer to wear smart casual. Jacket and tie wouldnt stop me visiting a course. It’s not like it comes as a surprise.

The whole argument about it keeping golfs image as a stuffy place is false imo. I’d expect most office working adults wear suits, or if you go for a nice meal dress up. Fancy a nice cruise, and to eat in the top restaurants.

If you don’t want to make the effort, don’t play there. Bit why this comes up so frequently I have not idea.

Any place that you have to pay to visit, and have it’s own terms. Abide by the, or don’t visit.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
My club are playing St Andrews New next week and a Jacket and Tie is required afterwards, even had to go out and buy a shirt for it :rolleyes: are there many stuffy old clubs still carrying on this nonsense ??

Not sure I would call them stuffy old clubs but I do believe their are a number of golf clubs who have a dress code that needs to be adhered to if you wish to visit their premises.