Jacket and Tie nonsense !!!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why wouldn't you wear a jacket and tie if asked? It's not exactly a human rights violation.

If you don't want to dress like an adult, don't play where it's required. And don't whinge about about it if you don't like the rules, it makes you sound like a stroppy adolescent.

bm

so you define dressing as an adult by wearing a shirt, tie and jacket?

D

Deleted member 21258

The whole argument about it keeping golfs image as a stuffy place is false imo. I’d expect most office working adults wear suits, or if you go for a nice meal dress up.

Interesting you mention that, I am what most people would be classed as a professional but luckily left the suits/ties in the cupboard from about 15ish years ago. None of my clients wear them. Spoke to clients about it and everyone didn't care if I turned up in a suit or not and more often than not they said they felt more relaxed if I would not wear a suit. As they are paying me money, I am more than happy to make then feel more relaxed. Golf clubs are not work, they are a club that we pay money to.

However I understand what you say and completely do not have a problem with wearing a suit/tie if thats what the club rules are.

In response to the OP, yes there are plenty of clubs around that require them. Their time is coming, but the top of the run clubs will always be the last to change, as they don't have to change for their market until later on..

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Interesting you mention that, I am what most people would be classed as a professional but luckily left the suits/ties in the cupboard from about 15ish years ago. None of my clients wear them. Spoke to clients about it and everyone didn't care if I turned up in a suit or not and more often than not they said they felt more relaxed if I would not wear a suit. As they are paying me money, I am more than happy to make then feel more relaxed. Golf clubs are not work, they are a club that we pay money to.

However I understand what you say and completely do not have a problem with wearing a suit/tie if thats what the club rules are.

In response to the OP, yes there are plenty of clubs around that require them. Their time is coming, but the top of the run clubs will always be the last to change, as they don't have to change for their market until later on..

I have also tried convincing our boss that we don’t need to be overdressed in the office. Especially as the only clients we see are truck drivers!

i think a lot of places may head down the route of smart casual. But, if you look at golfs core demographic, the majority of them who have done office work will have for some time worn suits as a uniform. So it’s harldy an alien concept for them to wear one.

For those that think it’s stuffy, what are your thoughts on people wearing jeans or tracksuits on the course? Surely you can’t complain that they expect a certain level of dress at one part and not the other?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

This pretty much hits the nail for me. I stopped wearing jacket and tie for work about 15 or so years ago. Haven't worn one to visit a customer during that period, never seen a customer wear one either.

Haven't worn a jacket and tie to a restaurant,............ever. It's an old person thing to wear them on social nights out. Only wear one to funerals and weddings now and even then they both come off as soon as I can. Golf is a social activity and having to bring out my funeral gear to wear after a round is not floating my boat, actually it is the same jacket and shirt but I have happy tie and sad tie.

This crops up once or twice a year. There are clearly people on here who believe it is the height of polite society to wear a jacket and tie and then the rest of us who live in 2018. In all of the threads on this subject I can't remember anyone saying they would refuse to wear a j & t and storm the club. All accept they have to be worn but just question their relevance today.

D

Deleted member 18588

whilst I’d prefer to wear smart casual. Jacket and tie wouldnt stop me visiting a course. It’s not like it comes as a surprise.

The whole argument about it keeping golfs image as a stuffy place is false imo. I’d expect most office working adults wear suits, or if you go for a nice meal dress up. Fancy a nice cruise, and to eat in the top restaurants.

If you don’t want to make the effort, don’t play there. Bit why this comes up so frequently I have not idea.

Any place that you have to pay to visit, and have it’s own terms. Abide by the, or don’t visit.

I wonder how long it is since you have been in a working office.

I retired over eight years ago and even then very few accountants', solicitors' or other professional's offices adhered to the need for ties to be worn.

As for the judiciary and their robes and wigs I would point out that there's an increasing number who feel that this should be changed to something more in keeping with the 21st century.

To all that don't wish to see change I would ask if they think we went too far when we stopped wearing a jacket and tie to play in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those that think it’s stuffy, what are your thoughts on people wearing jeans or tracksuits on the course? Surely you can’t complain that they expect a certain level of dress at one part and not the other?

Golf has found a pretty decent middle ground of chino's and polo shirts. It works for many people at work, it works on nights out, it works on the course itself and it works at the majority of golf clubs in their bar and eating areas. Jacket and tie defenders seem keen to run to the extreme, the same way as which Tony and Cherie Blair are always held up as the guaranteed replacement if we abolish the monarchy????? in order to scare anyone thinking of it. We don't need to go from tie to ripped jeans and football shirts. Golf has already found the right balance.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My club are playing St Andrews New next week and a Jacket and Tie is required afterwards, even had to go out and buy a shirt for it :rolleyes: are there many stuffy old clubs still carrying on this nonsense ??

We have jacket and tie for club matches if there is a meal after. If it's a breakfast match, we don't usually bother. Clubhouse and restaurant are smart casual all other times, unless a specific evening bash requests it.

If I visit other clubs that require it, then happy to wear, it really desn't bother me.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

I retired over eight years ago and even then very few accountants', solicitors' or other professional's offices adhered to the need for ties to be worn.

As for the judiciary and their robes and wigs I would point out that there's an increasing number who feel that this should be changed to something more in keeping with the 21st century.

To all that don't wish to see change I would ask if they think we went too far when we stopped wearing a jacket and tie to play in.

The legal profession often don't wear robes and wings. It is only in certain settings. Usually the Crown Court, if you are at a tribunal, County Court, Inquest etc then the legal reps or judges will not be in robes and wigs. Usually smart business wear.

There is also a reason why traditionally they wore robes and wigs. It was so that every barrister looked the same so juries wouldn't be swayed by some lawyers being better dressed (richer) than others.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I currently work in an office. Am 35 and have done so for various companies since I was 21. Always worn a suit. As I mentioned. I’m not averse to changing it, but I also expect most adults to own one. And if wearing it is a prerequisite to being able to play a course (that I want to play), I’ll wear it without any complaint.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Golf has found a pretty decent middle ground of chino's and polo shirts. It works for many people at work, it works on nights out, it works on the course itself and it works at the majority of golf clubs in their bar and eating areas. Jacket and tie defenders seem keen to run to the extreme, the same way as which Tony and Cherie Blair are always held up as the guaranteed replacement if we abolish the monarchy????? in order to scare anyone thinking of it. We don't need to go from tie to ripped jeans and football shirts. Golf has already found the right balance.

My point In regard to attire on the course was simply that, we accept a course can have a level which they wish us to fit into on the course, yet not off it.

Tracksuit, suit, chino’s, flip flops, waterproofs. It’s all just clothing. If we are happy to accept their rules on the course, I don’t see why people can’t follow it for after.

It’s only ever for a meal, I’d always change for a meal anyways to freshen up. So what you’re putting on shouldn’t really matter.

D

Deleted member 18588

The legal profession often don't wear robes and wings. It is only in certain settings. Usually the Crown Court, if you are at a tribunal, County Court, Inquest etc then the legal reps or judges will not be in robes and wigs. Usually smart business wear.

There is also a reason why traditionally they wore robes and wigs. It was so that every barrister looked the same so juries wouldn't be swayed by some lawyers being better dressed (richer) than others.

Yes I appreciate that many scenarios do not require the traditional garb but that only serves to emphasise the pointlessness of its continued use in other areas.

A tradition, just like Norfolk jackets and ties in which to play golf.

Time moves on.

D

Deleted member 21258

5 years ago, my reply would have been completely different to below.

Yesterday we played at Meole Brace, a council owned course for a quick 12 holes and saw one person across a couple of fairways (so maybe my eyesight wasn't quite right) who I think was dressed in jeans and non collared white casual shirt. It didn't really bother me, didn't effect my golf, didn't turn me blind or into a stone statue. So I suppose as I don't subscribe to jacket/ties I shouldn't have a problem with other forms of normal wear (I say that whilst thinking yes I did have a slight problem, some things are hard to shake internally by my experiences :rofl:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
5 years ago, my reply would have been completely different to below.

Yesterday we played at Meole Brace, a council owned course for a quick 12 holes and saw one person across a couple of fairways (so maybe my eyesight wasn't quite right) who I think was dressed in jeans and non collared white casual shirt. It didn't really bother me, didn't effect my golf, didn't turn me blind or into a stone statue. So I suppose as I don't subscribe to jacket/ties I shouldn't have a problem with other forms of normal wear (I say that whilst thinking yes I did have a slight problem, some things are hard to shake internally by my experiences :rofl:

I think my only reservation seeing someone in jeans etc, would be that they’re likely new to the game and I’d hope not to get stuck behind em 😬

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
My point In regard to attire on the course was simply that, we accept a course can have a level which they wish us to fit into on the course, yet not off it.

Tracksuit, suit, chino’s, flip flops, waterproofs. It’s all just clothing. If we are happy to accept their rules on the course, I don’t see why people can’t follow it for after.

It’s only ever for a meal, I’d always change for a meal anyways to freshen up. So what you’re putting on shouldn’t really matter.

Not really, it's a reduction ad absurdum argument. For instance if your work said you no longer need to wear a shirt and tie to the office, it doesn't mean they do away with all dress standards and people start coming to work in mankinis and flip flops.

No one is saying that all dress codes and standards are completely removed, just questioning were that line now stands. As others have pointed out, many professions don't require jacket and tie or suits. So more and more people won't own one or own one and rarely wear it. It doesn't have the same standing as it did once. I dare say many decades ago when every profession wore suits then it was no big deal. But now it is requiring people to dress up to a standard they don't anywhere else, which gives it an air of stuffiness.

If a club required you to don full morning suit with top hat, I'm sure you would think it was bit ridiculous. So the only difference is where we individually draw the line with respect of what it OTT to require people to wear.

I think we all agree that we would wear a suit if requires as it their rule. But I don't think it helps golf's image. The vast majority of clubs aren't stuffy at all but the general public think we are all like this

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Ooooh dress codes, one of my favouite subject. Long term readers will know my views that in 2018 quantifying someone as a good egg and a desirable person to take part in functions at your golf club based on their ability to put a skanky shirt and stained tie is not the best IMHO.

But as already mentioned, clubs can do what they want and in some ways the type of club and its values and dress codes will mostly influence the type of person that is a member there. But if a club insists on it don't be too surprised when golf clubs have an image of being a bit 'last century' and not being that up to date with modern societal values of what constitutes smart. But then again some clubs may not want that, and it's a free world.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Many people feel uncomfortable in a jacket and tie, I do. I find them stifling and restrictive, I like to feel comfortable particularly in my social life which is the category golf fits into. If people loved them so much then they would wear them every night out but they don't, clearly some exceptions before someone posts that they wear j & t on every evening out. Chinos and polo shirt are everyday wear, j & t are not for most people now. If people like them then fill your boots, play golf and dress up afterwards. The rest of us should be allowed to remain in our golf approved clothing though.

I've mentioned it before, no one who dislikes this code is walking into a club and shouting abuse. None of us are refusing to accept a dress code that is clearly stipulated. We are just commenting that it is outdated in the modern era.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a mid/late 30's professional, work is still smart casual. Suit/tie required for a specific presentation/meeting etc.

Date night would be smart jeans/blazer and shirt.

Very rare that employees wear ties these days I find. I think it would be a good compromise to allow blazers with smart shirt and no tie to these "better" golf courses.

Just find the discussion strange from a number of people who only view in extreme's.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Not really, it's a reduction ad absurdum argument. For instance if your work said you no longer need to wear a shirt and tie to the office, it doesn't mean they do away with all dress standards and people start coming to work in mankinis and flip flops.

No one is saying that all dress codes and standards are completely removed, just questioning were that line now stands. As others have pointed out, many professions don't require jacket and tie or suits. So more and more people won't own one or own one and rarely wear it. It doesn't have the same standing as it did once. I dare say many decades ago when every profession wore suits then it was no big deal. But now it is requiring people to dress up to a standard they don't anywhere else, which gives it an air of stuffiness.

If a club required you to don full morning suit with top hat, I'm sure you would think it was bit ridiculous. So the only difference is where we individually draw the line with respect of what it OTT to require people to wear.

I think we all agree that we would wear a suit if requires as it their rule. But I don't think it helps golf's image. The vast majority of clubs aren't stuffy at all but the general public think we are all like this

True story, I am off for a business meeting in a Baltic state tomorrow with a pretty high ranking official in their civil service. And the sales person from my company I am going with asked me what I would be wearing. I said a suit and tie, why. So he then told me that I may be a bit over dressed and to go a bit more casual. Damned if you do...