Is this an especially wet Winter where you play?

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Dunno, but it rained so much one year as we played darts in the pub one night and the weather forecast bloke said there was to be "heavy rain" and me and a mate said in unison "not just rain.....heavy rain".

Ahh them were the days.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I seem to remember last year's winter was exceptionally wet, it felt like more rain than I could ever remember. And this year isn't quite there.
It rained until lockdown this year and a lot of damage was done to the course as it remained open. Despite a lot of work and roping off greens and surrounds it's as bad if not worse now.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anecdotally its wetter than any other autumn i’ve played golf here. We have had some occasional torrential rain but its been the seemingly endless drizzle that’s stopping the ground drying out. We had a couple of really heavy rainstorms in November but through Sept, Oct, Nov and now Dec we seem to have had, at most, 2 dry weekdays in a row and maddeningly, when i can play at weekends, it rains.

I might go digging through the historic met office data later to see if the data fits the anecdotes.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I seem to remember last year's winter was exceptionally wet, it felt like more rain than I could ever remember. And this year isn't quite there.

I thought the same as you until I had a chat with the course manager (who keeps rain measurements). I commented that I didn't think it was as bad as last year and he just said "same amount of rain, just a different pattern of it coming down". The graph for our place is near identical to the one Liverpoolphil posted for Leighton Buzzard - and which shows this year & last year are way, way wetter than the 4 or five years previous. Hardly surprising most of us are finding things rather muddy.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Same here, but give it time...
And the 2nd wettest winter I can remember isn't exactly something to be cheerful about.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought the same as you until I had a chat with the course manager (who keeps rain measurements). I commented that I didn't think it was as bad as last year and he just said "same amount of rain, just a different pattern of it coming down". The graph for our place is near identical to the one Liverpoolphil posted for Leighton Buzzard - and which shows this year & last year are way, way wetter than the 4 or five years previous. Hardly surprising most of us are finding things rather muddy.

Knew last year was bad but it hadn't dawned on me about this year. I wonder if I became accepting of the wet and muddy conditions last year. I think, and stand to be corrected, that the one before that was colder (sometimes closed for snow) and more frosty so not comparing like with like

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is on Sandstone and normally drains very well.
But it’s the worst I have seen it ever now.
There is water where I have never seen before.
But in 40 yrs I have owned my house my garden has never had standing water on until this year.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
In Leeds here it seems to be the wettest the course has ever been though shortened by some 200yds & all bunkers GUR, we are still able to play 18 holes on full greens & grass tees though some of the latter would give grounds for casual water relief.
How is your course doing? Any special measures in place to keep going through these difficult times?

I would say, yes, it has been the wettest I can remember in 22 years. Being heathland, the course has stood up pretty well and is playing well, although there are a few areas which have suffered from the amount of traffic - we have been very heavily used with a big uptake by visitors. The big difference is the number of occasions when buggies are not allowed - I can't remember a year when there have been so many bans.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not been driving around so much recently but when I have the amount of standing water I the fieds looks similar to last winter - which we all know was a wet one.
Luckily its not stopping my golf as Ellesborough is on the side of a chalk hill.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is definitely the wettest I have known it in over 20 years. But if it’s open I will play because we have missed so much golf lately that i am just glad to be out.

Brucelily

Visit site
This year has been the wettest yet that I can remember. Even the ground around us is extremely wet.

Fair play to our course greenkeeping team they’ve been great making improvements during lock downs with a view on their overall plans.

The course is a bog at the moment but nobody will be playing it for an unknown period shortly from this weekend anyway. I wouldn’t mind walking through some puddles if still meant we could play.

D

Deleted member 1147

It was very wet last year, but it’s started earlier this year.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Wetter than a cod’s Cod piece. I should imagine with most of the country going into tier 4 or a lockdown very soon, courses may get time to recover.

Visit site
I've been at my course for 18 years, and I have NEVER known it as wet. It's not playable to be honest, but it IS open today.
We always prided ourselves that our course would be open when everyone else around was closed or on temporary mats and greens.
Now ours seems wetter than those nearby. I feel like abandoning the game until Spring.