Is there a worse area than Milton Keynes to be a golfer????

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Course options round here are just so limited, partly because there was nothing here 30 years ago so the majority of the courses are quite immature.

Course Ive been at for the last 6 years has been good but currently in poor condition and Im sort of tempted by a change of scenery, just struggling to find a better option!

On the plus side for my current course is that its 15 minutes drive round the lanes to get there, practise facilities are ok (grass range and chipping green), decent crowd of lads and they try and keep the course open as much as possible. Until this year they have been continually improving the course (or trying too), also get reciprocals with 20+ other courses (albeit none that local)

On the down side, its on clay so really struggles when wet. The size of membership has grown greatly (partly due to bierton and mentmore closing) meaning its far busier than it used to be which has also led to slow play becoming a big problem (the group that teed off in front of us took 4hrs 40 for a 3 ball medal this morning!)

Recently they've been cutting all the short grass areas even when all but flooded so we have many muddy and bare patches as well as large chunks of GUR (and plenty more that should be). And whilst theyve been cutting the fairways to within an inch of their life the rough is now up to waist high, almost impossible to find a ball in and if you do good luck trying to move it more than 10 yards! Add in rock hard greens and its not the greatest of playing experiences currently.

So what are my options:

Woburn - too expensive and am told a long waiting list currently

Aspley Guise - course is short and fiddly for my tastes albeit usually in good condition, journey a bit of a nightmare especially with M1 link road roadworks currently

Abbey Hill - public course too busy especially at weekends and not the greatest of layouts

Windmill Hill - poor course in poor condition

Wavendon - open field of a course alongside the M1 link road

Millbrook - ok layout but gets very wet in winter and have to get across the M1 junction to get there which can make the journey a killer

3 Locks - shortish course and couldnt see myself being a member there

Buckingham - another quite short fiddly course, struggles greatly when wet (seems to be closed more than any other course)

Further afield:

Leighton Buzzard - am told its in fabulous condition but find the course too short and fiddly, couldnt see myself playing there week in week out

Collingtree Park - a possible, not been there for a while, think they are losing some holes due to more construction? Journey dependent on the M1 not being a nightmare

Whittlebury Park - another Ive not played for a few years but 27 holes and an ok layout, not sure its good enough to justify the longer journey though

Bedford courses - a few better course options but none that standout that Id want to do the 30min+ journey each way each time

So no real standout alternatives, do I just put up with the current poor condition, try and play as much "away" golf for the rest of this year and hope things improve next year? If nothing else feels better getting that off my chest!

D

Deleted member 17920

Yep, Lincoln.

The nearest decent courses are Torksey 15 miles away or Woodhall Spa 20 miles away.

Carholme and Canwick are .................................... :eek:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what about Ashridge, that always looked good when i cycled around that way or Berkhampstead??

Ashridge a nice enough course, a bit expensive for what it is and journey approx 45 mins each way, maybe more at busy times of day, bit of a reputation for an aged membership and a stuffy nature

Berkhampstead again a bit too far away

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
How about joining the cheapest option to maintain a handicap and playing away days and opens and hoping for a few games from forum members?

D

Deleted member 15344

We are in fabulous condition at the moment ( not played a course with better greens this year ) but it is tight and you need to play with a straight ball - at 6000 yards it's not the longest as you say but the way it's playing at the moment it's brilliant.

With the influx of members into your place there was also going to be an issue and the clay foundation has its problems

We do have a bit a choice but a lot of small fiddly courses - Whittlebury is ok but lots of traffic and not really a members club , the Bedford ones doing well but a bit of a journey

Ashridge isn't that great at the moment - Berko would be my pick but then I live a bit closer - same with Whipsnade

Condition wise at the moment I'm happy to say nothing touches us but if you don't like the layout then it's a tough sell ( and we have a waiting list ) but you are more than happy to join me for a knock to see what you think mate

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We are in fabulous condition at the moment ( not played a course with better greens this year ) but it is tight and you need to play with a straight ball - at 6000 yards it's not the longest as you say but the way it's playing at the moment it's brilliant.

With the influx of members into your place there was also going to be an issue and the clay foundation has its problems

We do have a bit a choice but a lot of small fiddly courses - Whittlebury is ok but lots of traffic and not really a members club , the Bedford ones doing well but a bit of a journey

Ashridge isn't that great at the moment - Berko would be my pick but then I live a bit closer - same with Whipsnade

Condition wise at the moment I'm happy to say nothing touches us but if you don't like the layout then it's a tough sell ( and we have a waiting list ) but you are more than happy to join me for a knock to see what you think mate

Cheers Phil

As I say, its a course I dont mind playing occasionally but couldnt see myself playing as my home course, will happily have a game sometime soon if you fancy one though to see just how good it is (and its not just from you ive heard how good it is!)

D

Deleted member 1418

Drop the 'to be a golfer' and you can start an equally good thread in Out of Bounds!!!! :whoo:

I quite liked Three Locks when I played there, especially as it was where I broke 70 for the first time! It was a lovely sunny, warm Autumn morning though and I was nursing a blinding hangover so probably need to go back sober to see if my opinion of it changes!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How about joining the cheapest option to maintain a handicap and playing away days and opens and hoping for a few games from forum members?

Not sure theres anywhere round here thats an option, Abbey Hill maybe. In effect thats pretty much what Ill be doing if I stay, playing more games on our smartcard reciprocal scheme and have a few open entries to sort out over the next few months

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Drop the 'to be a golfer' and you can start an equally good thread in Out of Bounds!!!! :whoo:

LOL :D

I quite liked Three Locks when I played there, especially as it was where I broke 70 for the first time! It was a lovely sunny, warm Autumn morning though and I was nursing a blinding hangover so probably need to go back sober to see if my opinion of it changes!!

was that before he chopped down half the trees and filled in half the bunkers? never a fan of joining somewhere that is perpetually on groupon either (albeit if you want to relive your former glory thats prob your best option Paul!)

D

Deleted member 1418

was that before he chopped down half the trees and filled in half the bunkers? never a fan of joining somewhere that is perpetually on groupon either (albeit if you want to relive your former glory thats prob your best option Paul!)

It was about 3 years ago - possibly longer - mate. From memory it all looked rather 'new' including the clubhouse so I would therefore guess before. From reading your original post, you're in a pickle! Unless of course you win the lottery and Woburn becomes easier to get into! The only downside to that will be Phil asking you for more games there!!

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Millbrook - ok layout but gets very wet in winter and have to get across the M1 junction to get there which can make the journey a killer

I have to disagree about the wetness in winter at Millbrook.

One of the best draining courses in the area.

Plays all through the winter except for snow and a couple of other days.

Lots of work on the greens last few years and only aware of one temp green used on 6th on 1 week during last winter.

Admittingly played off the tee mats late January to end of April.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have to disagree about the wetness in winter at Millbrook.

One of the best draining courses in the area.

Plays all through the winter except for snow and a couple of other days.

Lots of work on the greens last few years and only aware of one temp green used on 6th on 1 week during last winter.

Admittingly played off the tee mats late January to end of April.

I must have been unfortunate the couple of times Ive played it then, might have to give it another look!

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I must have been unfortunate the couple of times Ive played it then, might have to give it another look!

i recommend you do at least have a look.

A quote from last weeks Millbrook newsletter.......

- We hosted the Bedfordshire County mens team V's Essex on Sunday, once again bothcounties enjoyed our facility and were full of praise for the course and its condition. Mostplayers commented on the putting surfaces, in fact the captain of Bedfordshire ( who plays atDunstable Downs ) reluctantly stated that ours is the best course in Bedfordshire now!!

I could give you a game if you are happy playing a crappy 25 handicap!

D

Deleted member 15344

i recommend you do at least have a look.

A quote from last weeks Millbrook newsletter.......

- We hosted the Bedfordshire County mens team V's Essex on Sunday, once again bothcounties enjoyed our facility and were full of praise for the course and its condition. Mostplayers commented on the putting surfaces, in fact the captain of Bedfordshire ( who plays atDunstable Downs ) reluctantly stated that ours is the best course in Bedfordshire now!!

Millbrook is a decent course but weird layout - the first is close to being the most ridiculous hole on any golf course - the 11th as well when it gets warm the greens firm up and become a bit silly - played a match there recently and they were starting to really firm up. Nice new bunkers there

But best course in Bedforshire ? Prob a sound bite and John O Gaunt still has that mantle

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Millbrook is a decent course but weird layout - the first is close to being the most ridiculous hole on any golf course - the 11th as well when it gets warm the greens firm up and become a bit silly - played a match there recently and they were starting to really firm up. Nice new bunkers there

But best course in Bedforshire ? Prob a sound bite and John O Gaunt still has that mantle

I do agree that best in Bedfordshire is pushing it a tad ;)

First hole is one that you either play safe or can be rewarded for your boldness.

I personally love the 11th despite coming cropper on many occasions.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played Leighton Buzzard recently and really liked it, yes it is a bit tight in places, especially the last 2 holes
and there is a bit of a hike between a couple of the holes on the back 9 and a couple of crossovers.

having said that, its a super course and wish it was on my doorstep.

3 Locks is OK, but has that really short par 3 and its a bit Mickey Mouse.
Played Collingtree Park a while back, was scared to hit the driver because of all the Big Houses with Big Windows easily within slicing range.

Why dont you put in a bid to reopen Mentmore, probably pick it up for a fiver :)