I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

D

Deleted member 1147

Am playing Sherwood Forest on the 20th of the month as our course is busy with the Midland Amateur Open.
Looking forward to it as I've heard/read so many good things about it.

For anyone interested my club hosts a Midland Order of Merit event, The Kedleston Goose, on sunday the 14th of August (I don't know if any more places are available) £35 for 36 holes, previous winners include European Tour winners Lee Westwood, David Lynn & Mark Foster.

See the link on my signature for details.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Am playing Sherwood Forest on the 20th of the month as our course is busy with the Midland Amateur Open.
Looking forward to it as I've heard/read so many good things about it.

One of my favourite courses.

It's all pretty much straight in front of you, but:

Don't hit too much club off the 3rd. Anything around 200 will run down the hill and leave a short iron or wedge, but if you go too far there's a bunker to run into.

Don't go past the hole on the par 3 10th, the slope is worse than it looks.

Don't hit driver on 18 if you don't like uphill lies. If the course is running well a 3 wood or long iron should run to the bottom of the hill but driver might start to go up the other side.

Edited to add...

The rough looks easy to get out of but don't get too greedy. It's that thin wispy stuff that wraps round the hosel and everything goes left!

D

Deleted member 1147

Thanks Gary, always good to get a few tips from someone who knows the course.

D

Deleted member 15717

Just back from playing Woodhall Spa both courses for the first time

The Bracken is a great second course , some tricky holes with big undulating greens - was tough to get used to the pace but it's own right it's a good course

The Hotchkin was wonderful - every hole was visually lovely and played brilliantly - loved every minute of it , the fairways were like carpets , greens were true - the bunkers are amazing all so natural - I couldn't stop smiling as I walked around playing it - already can't wait to go back and it's prob now my favourite inland course.

Good to hear this, as I am going up on Sunday and playing the Bracken, followed by the Hotchkin on Monday. Short trip over to Seacroft GC on Tuesday too for a round of links golf. First time playing them all, and can't wait

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ganton tomorrow for the first time with my game in tatters and the wind looking "fresh" :mad:

Any tips? Other than trebling my handicap!?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hopefully playing Davyhulme Park if the weather holds up on Sunday. Any tips?

Nice course which is always in great nick. Several holes you don't need to blast driver. Plot your way around and aim for the middle of the greens and you'll never be too far away.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Good to hear this, as I am going up on Sunday and playing the Bracken, followed by the Hotchkin on Monday. Short trip over to Seacroft GC on Tuesday too for a round of links golf. First time playing them all, and can't wait

Played the Hotchkin with Brian (Hobbit) last week and it's a great course, also played Seacroft earlier in the year and really enjoyed it, greens were tricky and fast.

D

Deleted member 15717

Played the Hotchkin with Brian (Hobbit) last week and it's a great course, also played Seacroft earlier in the year and really enjoyed it, greens were tricky and fast.

Excellent! Hopefully it will be the same when we go!!

D

Deleted member 1740

Ganton tomorrow for the first time with my game in tatters and the wind looking "fresh" :mad:

Any tips? Other than trebling my handicap!?

I'm sure you'll have one of those days were it all clicks and post a -1 gross :whistle:

Enjoy sir!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Playing the Castle course at St Andrews tomorrow, heard loads of good things about it so really looking forward to it :)