I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone played Kingsknowe in Edinburgh?

Playing it on Sunday for the first time for a bit of a change up and it looks nice from the website.

One review says it can be tricky to find some of the tees?

Decent course with some nice holes. A wee bit tight in places. Greens were a bit slow and bumpy when I last played it a couple of weeks ago. There are a couple of places where it's maybe not entirely obvious where the next tee is, right enough. Most notably is the 8th tee as you have to cross the 11th hole to get to it but you'll be alright.

Some difficult par 3s and some driveable par 4s so can be fun. :)

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
West Linton - Nice layout, very lush in parts but in great condition over all. It has a couple of tough long par 4's (450+ yardage) and a tough finish with 2 par 3's with the shortest just under 200 yards. Well worth the efoort to play if you find yourself in the area.

You should have given me a shout Val, I would have signed you on at guest rate (assuming you didn't get a deal). It's in decent nick just now but it took a while. Very little growth until late May. And the greens are not what they were a couple of years ago. Next time you're through, let me know.

I'm off to Western Gailes on Friday, taking my old man and my uncle for my dad's birthday. I've never played it but my dad always said if he had one round of golf left to play, he'd play at Western Gailes. He has plenty of rounds left but not at any sort of reasonable level, so I'm taking him while he can still play. Looking forward to it enormously :)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing Ingestre Park for the first time next week. Checked their website for the Pro's tips and was a bit disconcerted when most of them ended with "par would be a good score on this hole".

Raesy92

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing Gullane no2 on Saturday. Heard great things about it, can anyone that's played confirm and maybe a few pointers on the course?

Cheers!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You should have given me a shout Val, I would have signed you on at guest rate (assuming you didn't get a deal). It's in decent nick just now but it took a while. Very little growth until late May. And the greens are not what they were a couple of years ago. Next time you're through, let me know.

I'm off to Western Gailes on Friday, taking my old man and my uncle for my dad's birthday. I've never played it but my dad always said if he had one round of golf left to play, he'd play at Western Gailes. He has plenty of rounds left but not at any sort of reasonable level, so I'm taking him while he can still play. Looking forward to it enormously :)

Forgot thats where you were a member of. I played in the Golf In Scotland Series event there, would have been good to have a practice round before hand.

You'll enjoy Western Gailes, great course with a stretch of holes as good as anywhere

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing Gullane no2 on Saturday. Heard great things about it, can anyone that's played confirm and maybe a few pointers on the course?

Cheers!

Very solid golf course but don't remember all that much about it, think it was fairly straight forward apart from the tee shot on 2, the massively uphill 3rd and then the drive off 17

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

How did you get on at Western ? I think it is a fabulous course and just love playing there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Heading there this Friday, 29th. Never heard anybody say a bad word about it.

I expect to get beaten up and to love every minute :)
i always play well at WG and the reason for that is ive not been sober whenever Ive played it.
have lunch with wine and 6 treble G&T's, level par no problem;)

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You'll be all right as long as you don't get talked into playing off the front tees. Course is a shadow of itself from there, lower green fee should definitely be charged!

And I'm sure you'll get a warmer welcome than I did!

Ah, understood! Sorry to hear that.

I'll be pushing for the white tees, if possible. My dad was a scratch player in his youth and my uncle's still off 6 or 7, so that shouldn't be a problem.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm not playing any new courses for the foreseeable but am revisiting some I haven't played for years, both Walton Heaths and Worplesdon :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just entered an open at Enville on the recommendation of my pro.

Might not get in because of a possible ballot, but is it as good as he says, and anything quirky I should know about?