I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

D

Deleted Member 1156

It'll only be hidden and safe from my balls currently if it's in the middle of the fairway :eek:

I'll give you 3 guesses where it is and here's 2 clues......

1) It's not on the right
2) It's not on the left

;)

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
See you at Camberley next week Robin, you'll enjoy that one.

Has anyone told you about the hidden pond on the 16th? :whistle:

Getting rid of that aren't they? The single low point of that course, utterly stupid and not inkeeping with the design at all.

Don't know how far through the restoration to the Colt style they are but the pictures I've seen are class. Same bloke that is doing/has done the work at Broadstone/Tandridge/Blackmoor and a few others

Last edited:

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing Waterton Park tomorrow in a works golf society event. I've heard it's a decent track and tough in places. Looking forward to it as it's an afternoon away from the office!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Getting rid of that aren't they? The single low point of that course, utterly stupid and not inkeeping with the design at all.

Don't know how far through the restoration to the Colt style they are but the pictures I've seen are class. Same bloke that is doing/has done the work at Broadstone/Tandridge/Blackmoor and a few others

Yes, Frank Pont. Tandridge is complete, only 4 holes completed at Broadstone, don't know anything about Blackmoor though.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
McDonald Portal (both courses)
Camberley
Gainsborough
Ilracombe

All new courses I'm playing in the coming weeks :thup:

Will be interesting to see how you compare the 2 portal courses!
I actually prefer the 'portal premier' to the more lavish course at the main hotel. Some great par 3's! The 15th I think, being a massively elevated tee shot. Some lovely holes and quite tough as well!

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I actually prefer the 'portal premier' to the more lavish course at the main hotel. Some great par 3's! The 15th I think, being a massively elevated tee shot. Some lovely holes and quite tough as well!

correct, it is the 15th! Off the whites probably one of my favourite par 3's i've played.

In the same boat as well, much prefer the Premier course, much more thinking required to get round it, especially the front 9.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Waterton Park (Wakefield) yesterday. Decent enough course, quite tough in places and plenty of trouble to catch those errant shots! Did OK, had a couple of holes where brain and body weren't synchronised, but other than those happy with how it went.

It's a long walk with lots of hills so those not so great on their feet would be best getting hold of a buggy.

Only grumbles I have are that the bunkers are in need of work and refilling (less than an inch of sand in many) and some of the rough was knee high and worse, in some cases only a yard or two from the fairway or fringe of the green.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Let me know your thoughts on Portal!

Played their quite a lot as we get on dirt cheap! Both nice courses but always preferred the Premier!

correct, it is the 15th! Off the whites probably one of my favourite par 3's i've played.

In the same boat as well, much prefer the Premier course, much more thinking required to get round it, especially the front 9.

Well I think because of the problems I incurred prior to teeing off and then coming across some shocking greens, I swayed to the Championship course as the greens were 1000% better, I can understand what your saying about thinking yourself around the hilly terrain of the Premier, but for this time of the year there's no excuse for the course to be in the condition it was, IMO!

Read my review HERE

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone played Kingsknowe in Edinburgh?

Playing it on Sunday for the first time for a bit of a change up and it looks nice from the website.

One review says it can be tricky to find some of the tees?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am playing Bourn GC next week in a league to Dubai match, anyone know it ?

Played on Wednesday, course was ok, a fairly typical sort of hotel/health club/golf course, a reasonable layout slightly scruffy around the margins but the slowest greens I have played on in a long time, fairly even but sooooooooo sloooow

Canmore

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Sunningdale Ladies today - a great track with some interesting holes - 8 par 3s over 180 yards with a 241 yard par 3 on the back 9

Course is in nice condition despite course maintenance this week

Not sure about having to hit over a road on 1 and 15 though!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Sunningdale Ladies today - a great track with some interesting holes - 8 par 3s over 180 yards with a 241 yard par 3 on the back 9

Course is in nice condition despite course maintenance this week

Not sure about having to hit over a road on 1 and 15 though!

Glad you enjoyed it. As it's set up for ladies some of those long par 3's are short 4's for them, which explains why some of them don't seem to be set up as one-shotters. Great place to develop your short game.

I don't think the road is that busy but yes disconcerting initially, just need a willing look out! Setting is wonderful.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just arrived at Coventry for Fish's invitation day.
Good to see him happy about the size of the breakfast. :rofl:
He treated me to my brekkie so cheers mate:whoo:
image.jpg