I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Woodsome Hall in Huddersfield today in a bb open. Lovely course, superb setting and the clubhouse is very grand yet welcoming. Much preferred the back 9 to the front. Greens were quick and had some tough borrows to read. They tore me a new one and I struggled on the day, but I was recovering from a day at York races yesterday ;). Thoroughly enjoyable and would recommend a visit!!.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
I am playing a club match at st Georges Hill on saturday, first time i will have played there.

Any info greatly received:thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I am playing a club match at st Georges Hill on saturday, first time i will have played there.

Any info greatly received:thup:

Difficult to say Ian as they have 3 loops there although the 'main' course is the red and blue. I love the place, everything about it oozes class. You need to show photo ID to get past the armed guards at the entrances to the estate and they won't let you in if your car is more than 2 years old and cost less than £50k.

I'd like to say I'm not jealous but I can't..........

Enjoy!!!

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Difficult to say Ian as they have 3 loops there although the 'main' course is the red and blue. I love the place, everything about it oozes class. You need to show photo ID to get past the armed guards at the entrances to the estate and they won't let you in if your car is more than 2 years old and cost less than £50k.

I'd like to say I'm not jealous but I can't..........

Enjoy!!!
Cheers Gordon

It is the red and blue we are playing, 4 ball betterball, looking forward to it.

Oh and any chance i can borrow your motor:thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Cheers Gordon

It is the red and blue we are playing, 4 ball betterball, looking forward to it.

Oh and any chance i can borrow your motor:thup:

Borrow?? You can have it! It needs a wash so I was going to change it :rofl:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Forgot this thread was running, played 2 new courses recently

Scotscraig - nice layout but it was a little rough around the edges which is a shame as it deserves so much better. I'm believe the club have greenkeeping staff issues. Hope they sort it soon. Old style clubhouse with old style decor, there is something really likeable about it though despite it needing money spent on it.

West Linton - Nice layout, very lush in parts but in great condition over all. It has a couple of tough long par 4's (450+ yardage) and a tough finish with 2 par 3's with the shortest just under 200 yards. Well worth the efoort to play if you find yourself in the area.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It certainly was!!!

I am am just trying to work out if it's harder than Carnoustie as that is the hardest course I have played to date.

the rough at birkdale is just bloody brutal!

I agree chaps, I think Birkdale is tougher than Carnoustie just now due to the rough and I think the green complexes are more penal too. I rate Birkdale as the best course in England but on a daily basis I'd rather play Carnoustie.

Personally I think if you play them at similar times of the year (with the rough up on both) with similar weather I'd suggest Carnoustie would be tougher.

I loved Birkdale, probably my second favourite course behind Muirfield.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Personally I think if you play them at similar times of the year (with the rough up on both) with similar weather I'd suggest Carnoustie would be tougher.

Have to disagree with you Martin. At Carnoustie everything is pretty much out in front of you and you can see the trouble whereas at Birkdale there are more semi blind shots and angled drives that make things a bit trickier. I've always scored better (or should that be less bad :whistle: ) at Carnoustie.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have to disagree with you Martin. At Carnoustie everything is pretty much out in front of you and you can see the trouble whereas at Birkdale there are more semi blind shots and angled drives that make things a bit trickier. I've always scored better (or should that be less bad :whistle: ) at Carnoustie.

Horses for courses mate, I think Carnoustie has more trouble, Hogans Alley, Barry Burn etc and is a course like Royal Lytham you have to plot your way around whereas I felt At Birkdale had no surprises, it is just tough with some tight lines etc.

Loved both, I've nothing to criticise either for. They are probably no's 2 and 3 in my list of top courses

Fish

Banned
Visit site
McDonald Portal (both courses)
Camberley
Gainsborough
Ilracombe

All new courses I'm playing in the coming weeks :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

See you at Camberley next week Robin, you'll enjoy that one.

Has anyone told you about the hidden pond on the 16th? :whistle:

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Front nine poor. Back nine decent.

Greens were always in decent nick.

Could be a long round if you're not out early.

Quite a large amount of knows out on the course too.

Other than that it's well boss.

heard similar things about the front 9/back 9 difference!

out at 12:30 so bang in the middle of the day :D

can I ask what knows is? :eek: