I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Booked a round for the 16th July at Carden Park - played the Nicklaus in an open a couple of months back and came 2nd winning a £50 voucher.

15:10 tee off to get in on the cheap £20 each so laughing at that price!
Really looking forward to playing it after some forum members review a month or so back!

D

Deleted member 17920

Birkdale's OK ;)
It certainly was!!!

I am am just trying to work out if it's harder than Carnoustie as that is the hardest course I have played to date.

the rough at birkdale is just bloody brutal!

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It certainly was!!!

I am am just trying to work out if it's harder than Carnoustie as that is the hardest course I have played to date.

The rough at Birkdale is just bloody brutal!

You certainly matched if not bettered the number of bunkers you visited, anyway.

The rough and basically zero bail out areas, makes Birkdale a damn sight tougher in my opinion.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree chaps, I think Birkdale is tougher than Carnoustie just now due to the rough and I think the green complexes are more penal too. I rate Birkdale as the best course in England but on a daily basis I'd rather play Carnoustie.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I eventually got to play Wollaton Park in Nottingham yesterday, and thought it was a nice course with really fast and true greens.
Lovely surroundings and views to match, as well as the wildlife that wanders around the park.
I nearly eagled the par 5 ninth, but was still happy to walk away with a tap in birdie. Easy course though imo, I scored 38 with a blob on a hole.
Nice clubhouse, though a bit dated, would definitely play there again though!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played Kingswood recently. Good of Mark Crossfield to do a vlog. Saves me a job! Off to Surrey National (rearranged) which I've heard good things about. Might have blagged a trip to Rye for later in the summer.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree chaps, I think Birkdale is tougher than Carnoustie just now due to the rough and I think the green complexes are more penal too. I rate Birkdale as the best course in England but on a daily basis I'd rather play Carnoustie.

I imagine in a 20 mph wind they would both be as tough as each other. I played Birkdale and scored quite well as the wind was down...... Carnoustie tore me a new one. :)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've got 4 new courses coming up over the next few weeks, a weekend at McDonald Portal on their Championship & Premier Courses and then Camberley Heath the following day, then a League of Dubai match at Pipe Hayes.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got 4 new courses coming up over the next few weeks, a weekend at McDonald Portal on their Championship & Premier Courses and then Camberley Heath the following day, then a League of Dubai match at Pipe Hayes.

Let me know your thoughts on Portal!

Played their quite a lot as we get on dirt cheap! Both nice courses but always preferred the Premier!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Burnham Beeches today and it was in lovely nick.

First time this year tat we actually had Summer weather for one of our days. :thup:

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing pryors Hayes (near Chester) on Sunday. Any thoughts or tips?

Very underrated course Dave! I remember playing there when I was just getting back in to golf.

Course is short to say the least but some challenging holes! Its by no means the best around but always seems to be in great nick.

Club is friendly and staff very helpful!