I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Just thought I'd mention Waterlooville GC, played this for the first time last Friday and was really impressed. Some great holes and the greens were awesome! Worth a play if in the Portsmouth area!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
On top of Melton Mowbray on Sunday, Longcliffe the following Friday, I'm now playing another new course on the 16th in a comp, Mottram Hall?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone played Hadden Hill near Didcot? We have a society do there in a couple of weeks and its a bit of a trek from my place so am wondering if it's worth it?

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not worth the journey - it's not a great course tbh

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Playing Melton Mowbray on Sunday, any pointers 樂

Melton Mowbray was OK, obviously for £15 it's excellent value, but the fairways needed a good shave, at times you thought you were in the first cut even though you were in the middle of the fairway! The greens looked the part but when you walked on them they were unusually spongy, this meant they bobbled badly at times due to the traffic on them in front!

It's very friendly and you need to play the course before a couple of times to know your line off the tee, a couple of times I hit great drives only to bounce off or roll off into dense short rough or be blocked out on doglegs easily costing a shot!

My biggest disappointment was the constant chatter you'd hear from the greens and fairways that were very close to the tee blocks when you were driving as the course is very compact, I know that every course can have the odd close encounter and we all tend to be aware of them, but this was almost all the way around and it made me quite conscious at times before pulling the trigger as you'd hear people getting closer or right by the side of you making no effort to be quiet and were quite oblivious to anything around them!

Would I go back, yes, but only for an open where I get a free Pork Pie and the chance to win some prizes for £15.

Good to see and play with Glynn (Lincoln Quaker) again :thup:

D

Deleted member 17920

Melton Mowbray was OK, obviously for £15 it's excellent value, but the fairways needed a good shave, at times you thought you were in the first cut even though you were in the middle of the fairway! The greens looked the part but when you walked on them they were unusually spongy, this meant they bobbled badly at times due to the traffic on them in front!

It's very friendly and you need to play the course before a couple of times to know your line off the tee, a couple of times I hit great drives only to bounce off or roll off into dense short rough or be blocked out on doglegs easily costing a shot!

My biggest disappointment was the constant chatter you'd hear from the greens and fairways that were very close to the tee blocks when you were driving as the course is very compact, I know that every course can have the odd close encounter and we all tend to be aware of them, but this was almost all the way around and it made me quite conscious at times before pulling the trigger as you'd hear people getting closer or right by the side of you making no effort to be quiet and were quite oblivious to anything around them!

Would I go back, yes, but only for an open where I get a free Pork Pie and the chance to win some prizes for £15.

Good to see and play with Glynn (Lincoln Quaker) again :thup:
Fair review Mr. Fish.

Looking forward to playing Longcliffe on Friday, See if I can score better than I did at Melton Mowbray

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a good week for new courses for me, already played Darwen (mountain goat territory) and Llangollen (a nice stroll by the river Dee)
and on Saturday will be playing my 2nd Open venue at Carnoustie, which looks a monster. I don't think any tips would really help me, just going to enjoy the experience and probably come home with another 0.1.

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm playing two new courses this week and one next:

Tomorrow - Lingfield Park
Friday - The Cambridgeshire

Next week - wyboston lakes

Oh, and the week after I'm at the Belfry on the PGA course!

.... Just can't decide whether to do a practice round today too!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm not normally a big fan of pork pie - take it or leave it, but the one we were given is now gone and I'm gutted. It was the nicest pork pie I've ever tasted.

I know my Mum uses the shop in Melton that it came from, so that's birthday and Christmas sorted :D

toontiger26

Hacker
Visit site
All 3 are great courses. Hillside is my favourite and while the front 9 is great the back 9 is simply awesome. Greg Norman said once is was the best consecutive 9 holes in the UK ! West Lancs is brutal, not played Lytham but expect its great. Either way enjoy!

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
After failing to make the cut for the final of the Welsh MidAm on Friday, myself and 2 others played Pennard near Swansea in the Gower Penninsula.
What a course, stunning views over the bay, ruined castle on the course.......just amazing. A bargain for £55. I'll post some photos later.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After failing to make the cut for the final of the Welsh MidAm on Friday, myself and 2 others played Pennard near Swansea in the Gower Penninsula.
What a course, stunning views over the bay, ruined castle on the course.......just amazing. A bargain for £55. I'll post some photos later.

How was Rye?

D

Deleted member 17920

Did you see the changes Tom Doak has done to the course?
He is making some changes to the hotchkin this winter.