I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its brilliant, we were lucky that we had no groups behind us, so must have had about 6 tee shots each onto the green

Its a steep walk down though, trying not to get dragged by a trolley

the three par 4's previous to it are very forgettable holes and then you get to that and it's fantastic. Off the whites is even better.

I love the finish there - the 17th (another par 3 is brilliant too)

kerber0s1983

Assistant Pro
Visit site
the three par 4's previous to it are very forgettable holes and then you get to that and it's fantastic. Off the whites is even better.

I love the finish there - the 17th (another par 3 is brilliant too)

I found that with both courses there are a few forgettable holes, but the par 3's are generally pretty good - the 14th on the championship course over water as well.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Oh dear, is it that bad?

I've played it twice and I only went the 2nd time to give it the benefit of doubt, I won't be going back, there's just nothing about it I liked, sorry.

Others may have a different opinion :mmm:

D

Deleted Member 1156

West Lancs - Very tough on and around the greens, especially the front 9. Overly undulating greens for a links course. A good enjoyable varied test though.

Hillside - The 1st and 9th are a bit of a let down and tbh as a course it just doesn't do it for me, always find it a bit of a slog.I am being overly critical though due to its reputation. The 11th has got to be visually one of the best holes In the UK and as a good golfer I'm sure you'll enjoy it overall.

Lytham - Toughest course I've played. Pray that your driving is on form. Every poor shot gets severely punished, the pot bunkers with large run offs into them are everywhere, the amount of them can be pretty intimidating off the tee.
Rough like barbed wire too.
Sounds obvious but I found if I played a hole well making par was pretty straightforward, just one bad shot though and it was difficult to recover. Bogey was rare, it was either Birdie..Par..or a total nightmare. Some test though and a fantastic clubhouse, As a good golfer I'll be interested to hear how you score around there.

Sounds like a great trip :thup:

Back from a great trip, weather was fantastic all 3 days.

West Lancs didn't blow me away, played with Huds1475 and thoroughly enjoyed his company but thought the course was OK. Played numerous better links courses if I'm honest.

Lytham however is just absolutely stunning. The secretary told me they have just taken out 35 bunkers over the winter but there are still almost 200 of them and you have to position your tee shots so well to have any chance of scoring well. A fairway bunker is pretty much an automatic dropped shot. I only went into 2 bunkers, both greenside and got up and down both times, easy course :cool:

Hillside....I have never been made to feel as welcome at a golf club in my life. Sat in the lounge eating my sandwich, one of the members came over and insisted I join their rollup. Stopped to have a drink with them afterwards, felt like I had been a member there for years. Absolutely superb! The course itself was tremendous. Is it the best back 9 in Britain? I don't know but it certainly has to be a contender.

Also played Birkdale in the afternoon after Lytham but I've played there before.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

West Lancs didn't blow me away, played with Huds1475 and thoroughly enjoyed his company but thought the course was OK. Played numerous better links courses if I'm honest.

Lytham however is just absolutely stunning. The secretary told me they have just taken out 35 bunkers over the winter but there are still almost 200 of them and you have to position your tee shots so well to have any chance of scoring well. A fairway bunker is pretty much an automatic dropped shot. I only went into 2 bunkers, both greenside and got up and down both times, easy course :cool:

Hillside....I have never been made to feel as welcome at a golf club in my life. Sat in the lounge eating my sandwich, one of the members came over and insisted I join their rollup. Stopped to have a drink with them afterwards, felt like I had been a member there for years. Absolutely superb! The course itself was tremendous. Is it the best back 9 in Britain? I don't know but it certainly has to be a contender.

Also played Birkdale in the afternoon after Lytham but I've played there before.

Glad the trip was a good one. I had no doubt in my mind that it would be. Interesting that you were not fond of West Lancs, I enjoy the front 9 there, but I think the reason it gets the status it does is because it is just a brut when the wind is up. Of all the 'top ranked links courses you mentioned, I'd agree West Lancs is the weakest. Also, (and it might be the time of year we played) but the one I felt least welcome at was also West Lancs.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site

sounds like you had a great time mate, i've always wanted to play a few courses that way.

Just out of curiosity did you book it as a package? If so who through?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just out of curiosity did you book it as a package? If so who through?

No it was all booked privately through the clubs. Excellent place for a trip, Southport is a good place to be based for a lads trip :thup:

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No it was all booked privately through the clubs. Excellent place for a trip, Southport is a good place to be based for a lads trip :thup:

Not sure my budget quite spans as far as that!

Yeah I enjoy Southport! Certainly something i'm going to have a look in to!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing in a mixed pairs at Chorley on Monday, despite being relatively local I have not played there before, so any comments, tips would be useful.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My daughter is playing in a ladies club match at Aberdovey next week so I volunteered to take her down and have booked a tee time to go out after them.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing Castle Stuart this Friday, any advice would be appreciated, hopefully surprise my playing partners 😀👍🏻⛳️🏌

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing in a mixed pairs at Chorley on Monday, despite being relatively local I have not played there before, so any comments, tips would be useful.

Hi louise.
From what I've seen the Red Tees at Chorley do seem a little too far forward, not making the most of the Course and Views. I'm sure you'll enjoy it though, its a varied course and a little local Knowledge can go a long way. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

1 : Tricky Approach-- Do not go beyond the pin, its a treacherous putt back down. The approach shot does play longer than reads though, Take plenty of club and commit.

2 : Par 5- Good birdie chance. I usually play for the flat area in front of the green with my 2nd shot and hope for an up n Down.

3 Par3 - Simple : You have got to hit the green. OOB right and a huge drop off left. Again,Take plenty of club.

4. : par 4- Blind 2nd. Check the days pin position on the marker on the ground as you pass the bushes. If your coming in short..A shot to the left will feed right onto the green. Don't go right or long!.

5: Par 4 - Toughest hole in lancs IMO. No tricks though. What you see is what you get. The green is more undulating than it looks.

6 - Theres a big crater from about 125 from the green. Just check if in range off the reds. You can't see it from the tee.

7- par 3 - Take an extra club. Its more up hill than it looks.

8-Downhill Short par 4 Ditch in front of the green. I prefer to leave myself about 80 yards and come in with spin rather than bombing it too far down and leaving a delicate chip off a Downhill lie that is hard to control the run out.

9 : Par 4 - Straightforward uphill, try and give yourself an uphill putt on the undulating green. Play for the right of the pin.

Bacon Butty and a brew at the Cabin :thup:

10 : Short par 4. Just go for it off the tee. The green is very slippy though running away from you. On the right of it it runs R-L even though it looks L-R.

11: Long downhill par 4- if you've a long 2nd and can't reach.. land the ball short and left and it will feed onto the green.

12 : par 4:don't be short.. Club up on the Approach. Allow for plenty of Break on the green.

13 - par 5: Don't be too keen to bang it up there with your 2nd of the hanging lie. Personally I don't think its worth it.

14 : uphill par 4: Don't go left with the approach.

15: Don't be afraid of aiming right off the tee, Theres loads of room and the ball will feed down and left.

16: Uphill par 3: Simple,club up and hit the green, its a tricky up n down if not.

17: par 5 : Straightforward off the tee but a very very tricky green, come in from left and let the ball feed down.

18: Long Par 3: again club up, not a bad idea to play for the front edge if you've got a score going as a miss either side really Isn't good!

*Spend plenty of time beforehand on the putting green, the greens on the whole are very tricky..Similar to Bolton old Links*

Hope you get a nice day Louise, if so Theres few better places to play golf in lancs in my opinion :thup:

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now that is what I call a few tips, Cheers mate, a great hole by hole breakdown. Looking forward to it, just hope my driving behaves itself.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
By the way I have had a look at the website too and it is quite a long course of the reds nearly 250 longer than ours which is longer than a lot of ladies courses.