How would you improve the Masters?

D

Deleted member 15344

It got mentioned earlier in the thread I think, I’d love for tv companies to be able to really show all the contours and slopes on their tv coverage, I’m not sure if it’s technically possible though.

Yeah I’m not sure how they can do it but it would certainly show the different aspect of a links instead of it looking like a flat courses

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What do you mean by "twee". Think sky do a decent job

If we were going to put the majors in preferred order I'd go

US Open
The Open
Masters
USPGA

US Open doesn't rate as high - for me (3rd) - as much of the challenge is created by 'tricking up' the course(s). The inclusion of so many no-names in USPGA does similar, but that's also part of its magic.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It got mentioned earlier in the thread I think, I’d love for tv companies to be able to really show all the contours and slopes on their tv coverage, I’m not sure if it’s technically possible though.

I think Sky have gone a long way down that road with their coverage and camera angles. I know their presentation (McGinley etc) can be poor but what they give you visually and they do analyse holes and give you an idea of the contours etc. Definitely better than the last throes of the BBC coverage (imo)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For those arguing, or about to argue, the 4 majors in order of importance are as follows:-

The Open Championship
The Amateur Championship
The US Open
The US Amateur

Posted for clarity.
You appear to have missed off the Women's Open, Senior Open and Junior Open.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I always thought 3D TV was never really explored, even though it was far too gimmicky it might have helped bring more courses to life.

But sadly yes, it's not really possible, cameras are weird. They destroy lighting, depth and height cues that we subconsciously rely on. I've always thought the old saying of the "camera never lies" would have been truer as the "camera always lies"

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are camera men banned from certain places at agusta? I feel we miss out on some angles. I dont think we get to see a proper view of the bunker shot from behind the green on 12. I don't think we get to see the true difficulty of the shot.

I could be wrong but I dont remember seeing an up close an personal angle of that shot for example.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tbh I don't really watch it, but the TV coverage for me is a turn off.
I'd also like the field to be the best players in the world rather than lots who are not in contention making up most of the field. So in that aspect its not a major imo, not like the others are.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Are camera men banned from certain places at agusta? I feel we miss out on some angles. I dont think we get to see a proper view of the bunker shot from behind the green on 12. I don't think we get to see the true difficulty of the shot.

I could be wrong but I dont remember seeing an up close an personal angle of that shot for example.
Could well be down to the difficulty of getting a site for cameras. A tower behind the azaleas (?) would likely be encroaching on 13th tee shot

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Tbh I don't really watch it, but the TV coverage for me is a turn off.
I'd also like the field to be the best players in the world rather than lots who are not in contention making up most of the field. So in that aspect its not a major imo, not like the others are.
Surely after 2 rounds the 'non-contenders' are gone. And Top 50 at end of prev year/Week before event ARE the best players in the world!
It's definitely unique though!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely after 2 rounds the 'non-contenders' are gone. And Top 50 at end of prev year/Week before event ARE the best players in the world!
It's definitely unique though!
I think the depth of the game is such now that the top 50 alone misses out on players who could still contend. Anirban Lahiri for example is currently ranked 90 in the world and yet came very close to winning The Players and ended up coming 2nd. Plenty of other names in the 50-100 category that are capable of winning. I appreciate that there is a cut off for every tournament but 50 is way too low imo.

http://www.owgr.com/ranking

Visit site
Agreed regarding the field and the strength/depth. The field needs to be bigger and stronger.

The Masters is brilliant as it is so I’d have a hard time arguing for any other changes.

Springveldt

Visit site

Wouldn't be surprised if so due to it not fitting in with the perfect image Augusta loves to project.

Personally, The Masters is my least favourite major. It's everything golf is trying not to be now.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think the depth of the game is such now that the top 50 alone misses out on players who could still contend. Anirban Lahiri for example is currently ranked 90 in the world and yet came very close to winning The Players and ended up coming 2nd. Plenty of other names in the 50-100 category that are capable of winning. I appreciate that there is a cut off for every tournament but 50 is way too low imo.

http://www.owgr.com/ranking
Maybe, but he was MC for 6 of his previous 10 tournaments and nowhere near contention in the others - so definitely a 'one-off' (so far).
It certainly makes for a select, 'high quality' field - likes of Sandy apart! There are about 85 players in the Masters cf about 150 in USPGA an US Open. So could indeed be expanded somewhat, though probably not to his current level automatically.
There is a clause allowing the 'Masters Committee, at its discretion, to invite international players not otherwise qualified' too.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

When DJ won there was some incredible drone footage that showed how steep the slopes were. They could get shots from places unavailable when the patrons are there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe, but he was MC for 6 of his previous 10 tournaments and nowhere near contention in the others - so definitely a 'one-off' (so far).
It certainly makes for a select, 'high quality' field - likes of Sandy apart! There are about 85 players in the Masters cf about 150 in USPGA an US Open. So could indeed be expanded somewhat, though probably not to his current level automatically.
There is a clause allowing the 'Masters Committee, at its discretion, to invite international players not otherwise qualified' too.
Ah, but a glorious 'one off' :D that would not have happened at Augusta (I do accept you can use that line at any tournament to be fair). The depth of world golf has improved dramatically in the last 5-10 years and they have not taken that into consideration. Ultimately though, it is their ball, they can do what they like with it, and do.

I personally would get very bored if I only saw the same faces at tournaments every week. I enjoy seeing new names, sometimes old names, and faces coming through and challenging. It makes things interesting.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ah, but a glorious 'one off' :D that would not have happened at Augusta (I do accept you can use that line at any tournament to be fair). The depth of world golf has improved dramatically in the last 5-10 years and they have not taken that into consideration. Ultimately though, it is their ball, they can do what they like with it, and do.

I personally would get very bored if I only saw the same faces at tournaments every week. I enjoy seeing new names, sometimes old names, and faces coming through and challenging. It makes things interesting.
If he does reasonably (preferably 'very') well in any tournaments between now and cutoff, I'd like to see him get one of 'committee invites'.