How would you improve the Masters?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Regarding former champions, they don't have to take up the invite, and the ones with a true regard for the game know when their time has passed.
Many former champions don't take up the invitation. I'm certain Sandy Lyle doesn't take up his invitation with any hope he'll win, but for several other, quite reasonable imo, reasons.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s not called the US Masters. It’s the Masters Tournament.

Just like the Open Championship isn’t the British Open.
And you've got the names wrong too!
I agree about the Par 3 tournament. Essential, fun, part of The Masters (delib abbrev'd) imo.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am not quite sure what peoples problem is with the par3 tournament, it doesn't impinge on the main event. If you don't want to watch it don't. I probably have seen less of the Masters than most as I am usually away skiing that week as traditionally it has been in the Easter school holidays. Generally though it has traditionally been near the start of the golfing season when courses get less wet and with a finish time that suits UK TV more than the West Coast events I have been entertained by it when free to watch it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure I’d want to change anything, it is what it is because of the all the traditions and cringey interviews in the cabin lol.
Have to say, it’s my favourite major of the year because of all of the above ?

AussieKB

Visit site
Not sure I’d want to change anything, it is what it is because of the all the traditions and cringey interviews in the cabin lol.
It's number 4 or 5 in my view, if you want to throw in the Players Championship which is the strongest event of the year.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Part of the 'magic' is that it's a great as a Season Starter' event. There are certainly some cringeworthy parts to it though!
I used to think the final hole was a tad dull/disappointing. But Bubba changed that!

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's number 4 or 5 in my view, if you want to throw in the Players Championship which is the strongest event of the year.

I don’t want to get into a “this event is better than that” argument but I have Masters at 1 and The Open at 4, I rank the Players above The Open as well along with a few other PGA events.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don’t want to get into a “this event is better than that” argument but I have Masters at 1 and The Open at 4, I rank the Players above The Open as well along with a few other PGA events.
Each to their own, but The Open ranks higher - for me - until the Presentation - though the Masters presentation(s) is/are pretty cringeworthy too.

D

Deleted member 15344

Very interesting view in regards The Open - below the players ?

Ok to ask why rate The Open so lowly ?

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m not a links fan so maybe that has a lot to do with it, I also find the tv coverage very twee when on our shores which for me is a turn off.
Fair enough - there are certainly plenty who prefer watching golf on a parkland etc and it’s easy to see why , it’s better from a viewing perspective at times

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair enough - there are certainly plenty who prefer watching golf on a parkland etc and it’s easy to see why , it’s better from a viewing perspective at times

It got mentioned earlier in the thread I think, I’d love for tv companies to be able to really show all the contours and slopes on their tv coverage, I’m not sure if it’s technically possible though.