How would you improve the Masters?

wjemather

Visit site
I'm doing a feature the website on this and looking for a bundle of ideas on how Augusta could be improved?

What would you like to see more of?

How could the coverage be improved?

How could the eligibility be improved?

What don't you like about the course? (Personally don't like the Sunday pin at 16 but am probably a lone voice here)

Which traditions don't you like?

Anything else?

Cheers
Golf coverage in general would be improved by seeing more golf and less chat. Also by banning from broadcasting anyone who talks at a thousand miles an hour, mentions the Ryder Cup and match play situations outside the context of the Ryder Cup or match play, and anyone who repeatedly spews analytics, statistics and weather forecasts. Can we not just concentrate on the golf tournament, please?

As for the Masters itself, they need to put a lid on the schmaltz; a good starting point would be canning Jim Nantz and his vomit inducing interviews in the Butler Cabin, and (as others have said) we don't need to see a replay of Tiger's chip on 16 every hour and countless times more than that on Sunday.

Replace the US-centric PGA Tour exemptions (i.e. all tournament winners and all tour championship qualifiers) with winners of select tournaments from around the world (e.g. WGCs, API, Memorial, Genesis, select other PGA Tour events, Rolex Series, Australian Open, South African Open, Japan Open, etc.) and leading 5-10 players from the standings on all the major tours. Age-limits are needed for past champions, since too many do not have the good grace to decline their invite.

I'm with you on "traditional Sunday pin placements". They should be done away with - never used to be the same every year and I see no reason for them to be so now. Let's see a different challenge each year.

sunshine

Visit site
As for the Masters itself, they need to put a lid on the schmaltz; a good starting point would be canning Jim Nantz and his vomit inducing interviews in the Butler Cabin, and (as others have said) we don't need to see a replay of Tiger's chip on 16 every hour and countless times more than that on Sunday.

Schmaltz: that is such a good word. Perfectly describes everything that is irritating about the Masters. To be fair, it's the TV coverage including Jim Nantz et al which is full of schmaltz rather than the actual event.

I'd like to see more:
Drone coverage. Recognise this was made possible by the absence of spectators, sorry er patrons, but the sweeping low views were awesome and really helped to show the undulations around the green.

I'd like to see less:
"Iconic moments". I've seen the Tiger chip thousands of times, but probably seen the Nicklaus putt in 86 even more times. Also, how many times will we hear a reference to Earl Woods.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. Remove the territory blocks on the Masters App so everyone has access to all the streams. For those that don't go this route via VPN it's surprising how much live and uninterrupted golf you're missing out on.

2. Call time on the ridiculous caddy boiler suits.

3. Use the unique leverage the competition committee has in the event to do something useful like improve the pace of play.

4. Diversify the membership and do a lot better when it comes to the shadow of racism.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Leave it well alone with regards to the course and the tournament, apart from what others have said about a 15 year exemption for past winners. Do not mess with the course, generally it is won at around 10-15 under which to me means were going to get plenty of birdies and eagles to enjoy. I hate watching the US open where tour players have to hack it around and hope to shoot level par.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have said - mostly leave it as it is but I don't like the stupid outfits for the caddies and calling fans 'patrons'. And any other dated nonsense like that. But I love the tournament itself and the green jackets.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Adjust the lifetime exemption to 10 or 15 years and 'invitation to attend' after that. So all the camaraderie/memories without the embarassing scoring.
Everything else is 'part of the magic' of the event.