How would you improve the Masters?

D

Deleted member 3432

If the talk was going old school clubs then Langer will have a mare as he has putting issues and only solved when he went to the broom handle
Persimmon, blades and balata balls were mentioned, nothing about the putter..;)

D

Deleted member 3432

Anyone who thinks Langer would stand a chance against younger players using old school equipment must be smoking whatever the guy in the fat people thread has.
Some of the younger guys would also be clueless, not all of them but it would certainly separate the field.
Bomb and gougers guaranteed MC

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyone who thinks Langer would stand a chance against younger players using old school equipment must be smoking whatever the guy in the fat people thread has.

I reckon it’s prob best not to take everything so seriously ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It’s not called the US Masters. It’s the Masters Tournament.

Just like the Open Championship isn’t the British Open.

The par 3 isn’t supposed to be taken seriously. I thought the whole point of it was that it was fun, and a bit of light relief before the main event.
And there was never anyone called "Princess Diana". There was a Diana, Princess of Wales. She was not born a princess, but we know who they are referring to.

People call it the British Open and people refer to the US Masters. We know what they re talking about and correcting them every time they say it is pointless.

3 out of the 4 majors held in the USA needs to be changed, in my view.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Broom handle, croquet style, side-saddle, everything has been tried years and years back if you look for it.
There must be some clubs at the back of a cupboard somewhere in the clubhouse that were used when the course was first open.

It would be fun to see them used during the par 3 comp.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How do the older generation on here feel about seeing the past champions of old teeing it up?

I actually enjoy seeing some of the old faces. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. My dad turns 83 tomorrow and i know he still gets warm feelings when he sees some of the old boys appear on the screen.

The game of golf is full of traditions and I form one would be sad if this one was taken away. I dont actually think it will. Its Augusta's ball game and they do what they like.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Not a lot to be honest, I love the Masters and buy into nearly all of it - including the Patrons, the boiler suits, the honorary starters etc. None of that offends me.

The history of the place is questionable and the work to address that will obviously never be complete; but Masters week is a thing in our house now with the Women's amateur the weekend before; the Drive, Chip, Putt; the Par 3 competition etc. It feels like this event has evolved more than the others - I appreciate the eligibility criteria but over the course of the week it feels more inclusive (to me anyway). Even the advances & embracing of technology, with the 3D shot tracker, videos of every shot (albeit on delay) etc., feels like a stuffy old game has been brought into the 21st Century whilst still remaining stuffy. International live coverage could be improved.

Coverage is subjective - I no longer agree with the clamour for BBC to have more sport, I feel the BBC has ran its course and is struggling to reinvent itself either sufficiently or quick enough. It lacked competition for so long that it finds itself unable to compete with other providers (in terms of talent, presentation, accessibility, etc.), with the exception of BBC Sport radio as a medium which I think is still ranked highly (in my opinion).

If anything it feels like they're starting to overthink the play-ability of the course to try and keep some records intact / create competition over the weekend etc. It's not a US Open, just make it pretty to look at, have fast greens and let the run-offs take your ball into the water.

I'm with you, and there are a couple more like-minded souls on the thread.

Changed nothing, it's the Masters.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How do the older generation on here feel about seeing the past champions of old teeing it up?

I actually enjoy seeing some of the old faces. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. My dad turns 83 tomorrow and i know he still gets warm feelings when he sees some of the old boys appear on the screen.

The game of golf is full of traditions and I form one would be sad if this one was taken away. I dont actually think it will. Its Augusta's ball game and they do what they like.

I wouldn't mind a parade of former starts at the beginning of the event but would rather have all the places allocated to current world players, however that is arrived at in terms of different tours, rankings etc

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Other than the bigger issue of taking 10 or 15% off ball distance, where Augusta has been a victim of the distance virus, little or nothing I think. Not a big fan of the 12th which has a little too much of a lottery about it with the wind and the very shallow front to back. Patrons, boiler suits, shmalz, the traditional pins, Dave Loggins' tune, its unfairness to faders, etc, might all be kindly termed 'problematic'. But on the whole it is perfection, and not worth touching. I am sad that they had to intruduce a first cut, but that is down to the distance plague. And do think it was a mistake to allow them bring their own caddies.

The one tweak I would make would be to expand the field by about 20 players of the next most eligible according to the general qualification criteria that they have. Its a little too small for a major I think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don’t actually like Augusta, it’s the same thing every year - nothing really changes.

Someone mentioned the traditional Sunday pins and moving them. Why not? They can still bring the creek into play but players know where to pitch it and what club (give or take) to pull almost before they get to the tee. Make them think a bit more

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The golf course is pretty good as it is. The ”language and traditions” are stuck in the past and show golf as pompous and elitist. The award ceremony is cringeworthy, I stop watching when the golf finishes.

D

Deleted member 1740

Get rid of those stupid boiler suits the caddies must wear.

Better access to tickets.

phillarrow

Visit site
I'm with the minority here - I like the traditions of the masters, including the boiler suits for caddies.
There are so few things anywhere in life any more that have a genuine sense of tradition and nostalgia, I feel it's not only good, but important, to retain a precious few.

And before anyone starts, we don't need this to turn into an argument about some of the less inclusive traditions of Augusta national, or about the exclusivity of its wealth, I'm just talking about having something on the calendar that stands out as being different from others in how steadfastly it retains some of its traditions.

For me, keep everything the same, but show more of the actual golf tournament on TV. Oh, and protect the course from the big hitters, but that's a universal plea. ?