How to change a light bulb?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

It's embarrassing yes.... But here we go.

Am currently in a rented house, will be moving out soon and one of the ceiling spot lights in my office has gone.

For the life of my I can't work out how to remove the bulb.... I've tried pushing, twisting, pulling... I've tried YouTube and none look quite the same as my bezel.

Any bright ideas? I can't get someone in to do it, that's proper embarrassing.

Attachments

• IMG_20230705_121835.jpg
    IMG_20230705_121835.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 25

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are those the bulbs where you need a sort of rubber sucker thing to remove them? I had some like that, they needed pushing up and turning but it was impossible to do by hand.

Edit.
Like this…

D

Deleted member 18121

Are those the bulbs where you need a sort of rubber sucker thing to remove them? I had some like that, they needed pushing up and turning but it was impossible to do by hand.

Edit.
Like this…
Interesting, that's a new one on me... Will investigate... Thank you!

RichA

Visit site
I've seen various types. Some the housing rotates clockwise to remove, others anti and a couple where you have to pull the housing out of the ceiling.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of ours went and the guy who fitted it, it was part of a bathroom job, came in and changed the whole fitting, not just the bulb. Fills me full of fear for when the next one goes, it is now way beyond his responsibility.

Clearly great when working, horrible when need changing.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The bulb itself will be a bayonet fitting - press in and turn anti clockwise (left for those younger members) but I suspect the bezel may be holding the bulb in so can’t help with that

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't rule out that it's a sealed unit as many LED spots are these days. The whole unit needs replacing rather than the "bulb" which isn't really a thing nowadays (just a bunch of emitters on a PCB).

Pop the unit out from the ceiling (will most likely have a spring mechanism at the back that you just pull through the hole) and see if the unit is one piece or not.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't see it in the image, but is it possible there's a wire 'spring clip' holding the bulb in place. Might be mostly hidden behind the housing and not obvious.? That's what holds my recessed kitchen lights in place. Take out the clip, & the bulb & holder just drop out

D

Deleted member 18121

I can see him sat in tears with some ceiling board on his head 🤣

This is my fear... Just as I'm due to move out I need to replace the ceiling!

Don't rule out that it's a sealed unit as many LED spots are these days. The whole unit needs replacing rather than the "bulb" which isn't really a thing nowadays (just a bunch of emitters on a PCB).

Pop the unit out from the ceiling (will most likely have a spring mechanism at the back that you just pull through the hole) and see if the unit is one piece or not.

As above .... I'm worried of ruining the ceiling.

Can't see it in the image, but is it possible there's a wire 'spring clip' holding the bulb in place. Might be mostly hidden behind the housing and not obvious.? That's what holds my recessed kitchen lights in place. Take out the clip, & the bulb & holder just drop out

No have looked for that... I wonder if part of it needs prising apart, but am so worried of breaking something.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is my fear... Just as I'm due to move out I need to replace the ceiling!

As above .... I'm worried of ruining the ceiling.

No have looked for that... I wonder if part of it needs prising apart, but am so worried of breaking something.
Unfortunately you're not going to do much with it otherwise. The spring clips aren't strong so the chance of ruining the ceiling is very low. The cut out is also approx 15mm narrower than the bezel so covers any slight nicks in the plasterboard.

That looks very much like a sealed unit to me.

RichA

Visit site
OK. Weird coincidence. At my Dad's house and a bathroom bulb has gone. Looks strangely similar. This one was rotate housing anti-C, rotate bulb out of socket. The bulb is held in the housing by a fixed spring.
IMG_2869.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg

IMG_2871.jpeg

D

Deleted member 18121

OK. Weird coincidence. At my Dad's house and a bathroom bulb has gone. Looks strangely similar. This one was rotate housing anti-C, rotate bulb out of socket. The bulb is held in the housing by a fixed spring.
View attachment 48378

View attachment 48379

View attachment 48380
That's was I was hoping for... Relatively straightforward, it might just be a bit stuck and need brute force.... But me and brute force don't have a good history.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
With your thumbs try unscrewing the chrome bezel, that may reveal more about the lamp removal, try the little sucker thing or try with your thumbs to remove the lamp, trying to slide it anti-clockwise. As previously explained it could be a sealed unit…maybe just let the landlord know the issue you are having and ask him what he wants you to do?

Asian Dawn

Banned
Visit site
Serious note - just did a shower bulb replacement that matches the one mentioned already on this thread. Damn spring!

Real note - normally when you ask a member of this forum how to change a light bulb, you get told two. One to change the bulb and one to suggest getting custom fit for it.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll just point out that if it's not a sealed unit, it might be an MR16 bulb rather than GU10.
MR16 bulbs just push in on a pair of pins (no rotation required).
And if it is an MR16, be aware that they are not all the same size - some of them are a little taller which means they will sit too proud of the housing.

D

Deleted member 18121

Edit.
Like this…

just wanted to say thank you Sir, tiny little sucker thing arrived this morning... plonk plonk twist... new bulb installed.

Only issue I've got now is the bulb I replaced with give off a yellow tinge whereas all the other ones are bright white light. FML :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just wanted to say thank you Sir, tiny little sucker thing arrived this morning... plonk plonk twist... new bulb installed.

Only issue I've got now is the bulb I replaced with give off a yellow tinge whereas all the other ones are bright white light. FML :)
Led bulbs come in different light hues according to the effect you want create sounds like you fitted warm white whereas the others are probably daylight . Also did you check the wattage?