Any Modocaddy M7 remote owners - how does it work on side-sloping fairways?

Randy

Visit site
Hi -

I have read the forums quite a lot but just joined to ask this question and I hope someone can help (apologies if I have got the wrong place). I've been on here, GolfWRX, Google and YouTube and can't find an answer.

I am considering buying the M7 Remote trolley. I am getting back into golf after a long break and have also spent a few years with chronic back pain - largely managed now through a lot of hard work. As such I am quite careful. I have found I can carry a half set okay for 18 and happily for 9 but not every week. The posture on a push trolley and even a normal electric trolley is not great for my back - hence looking at a remote version.

The M7 seems ideal, but I am concerned about how it will track on side-sloping fairways. Are any owners who play on those sorts of courses able to comment? Does it track straight, require the occasional nudge, or is it a constant battle to stop it from travelling down the slope? When I have rented a normal electric trolley if I let it go, it happily curves downhill pretty quickly.

This is currently my main concern. Otherwise, I think they will suit my requirements pretty well. Given the trolley came out a while ago I could wait and see what a new version might look like, but that could be a year and apart from this one potential issue it looks great.

Thanks in advance.
Randy

M.Harmon

Visit site
Afternoon,

I purchased my M7 July 2022, I got it because of back issues too and was sick of my CT6 tipping on auto mode so wanted a wheelie bar! I can confirm when running along slopes you have to keep correcting as it falls away with the slope as it does not have a gyro. One other thing is unlike other DHC models in the Motocaddy range it does not have the parking break so it will slowly move if stopped on a hill, I just turn it square to the hill.

The new Powakaddy RX1 has something called Slope Traverse Assist (STA) which PowaKaddy states that it "helps" the trolley run straight on slopes. I have not tried this trolley though so cannot confirm how well it works. I did have a PK CT6 but sold it in favour of the M7, I may have ordered the RX1 but it released a year late from when Powakaddy told me it would release so I gave up waiting. Also it does not fold as small as the M7 because the front wheel does not fold like the CT6.

The M7 is a great trolley even with its slope issue and no parking brake. I think it is a great bit of sturdy kit and I have even developed my own 3D printed interfaces to use my existing Clicgear and Powakaddy accessories.

I have crashed it once into a bush and flipped it twice on a tree root and up the side of a path and it held up nicely. This is not a reflection on the cart just on me not paying attention. If you get one remember to press the lock button on the remote so you don't press a direction button by accident while in your pocket.

I was a little self conscious using it at first but after a few rounds I did not care what others thought as it is just nice to walk behind it relaxing between shots not having to man handle a trolley. I see more remote trollies as time goes by they are getting popular.

Randy

Visit site
Thank you M.Harmon for your detailed response it is very helpful.

I will hold off and do some more research looking again at the RX1. It seems all the trolleys have some compromises at the moment, it is just finding the ones that seem the least annoying. My current club is very flat so it would be fine, but I may move potentially to a hilly course where it would clearly be more of an issue.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've got an S7 Remote & it does need regular correction on slopes. However, when you get used to it, you simply point it up the slope, run it until it comes back down the slope & repeat. The fact that it's travelling further than you doesn't really matter, does it?

I love mine, wouldn't be without it. I've used a manual electric trolley before and having to handle it constantly is a pain.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had mine a while now, and am now well passed the self conscious when using it state.
The main reason for getting it, was to be able walk upright for a complete round. It also comes in very handy when the ropes are out and you want to send the trolley around them whilst you go straight to the green.
It's biggest gripe from me is its hill traversing isn't as good as I would like, but then the remote buttons can be pressed to make adjustments but you get used to it and learn how to make best use of it.
The trolley itself folds nicely down, and goes into it's bag very well and thus takes less room in the boot than many others. It's solid and normally very stable unless youre a burk like I have been a couple of times when you send it into a tree, a bunker and almost a pond.
When I was looking at remote trolleys, I considered Stewart but having ordered and paid for one, they kept putting the delivery day back so that got cancelled and refund made.
I also looked at the MGI Zip Navigator (American golf sell them) which has a gyro within it so it's supposed to track straight cross camber. I would have got one, but as AG seem to be the importers and only place selling them (in the UK) I decided against it and went for the M7.
Overall, I am pleased with it and without doubt would have another (if I sink mine into one of the 2 ponds my course now has).

Randy

Visit site
Thank you for the really helpful replies. I appreciate the time spent in helping me out.

Once I make a decision I'll post the logic here is case it is helpful to someone else.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just one other thing re the M7. It has two motors one for each wheel. They are heavy. If you have a bad back once it is folded on the floor. It is 15kg to lift into the car. It may not be good for your back. That said, I have one and it’s fantastic. 👍

Randy

Visit site
Thanks Trashboy. A lot gym work over the last few years so hopefully all the deadlifting should make getting it in the car ok.

Given the side slope issue the MGI Navigator seems like the option that will suit me better. I was put of by the American Golf thing (and would prefer to support a local pro) but it seems they are a fully-fledged brand that just happens to be distributed by AG in the UK.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
All emote trollies are likely to fall away on slopes. My Stewart golf one does too. The advantage the Stewart one has is it is less prone to tipping as it’s heavier and has a wider wheel base.

Randy

Visit site
Just a final note if helpful to other people. I made my final choice and went for the MGI Nav.

Initial impressions on the course - I'm disappointed I didn't go for the Motocaddy as the controller on the MGI is cheaply made (very old USB connector - the one before a mini USB), cheap plastic, not very ergonomic and I am assuming the Motocaddy one is better.

Impressions after playing a much longer hilier course - delighted I went with the MGI. I have got used to the controller which is fine - you just get used to it and stop thinking about it. The course had lots of side slopes and there was very little correction needed.

I realised I need winter wheels - it seems harder to buy these for the MGI than it is for the Motocaddy.

Overall I would buy the MGI again. If the next model of Motocaddy has side slope control it would be a different matter; especially as the Motocaddy bags are nice and the MGI ones (in my opinion) look awful.

cheers