How many will submit “Qualfying Cards”

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Will you submit cards outside of Comps and how many

• Total voters

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
My point is simply that I don't have to worry about every round I play impacting my H/I; that I don't have to worry about 2 out of every 5 I play impacting my H/I, indeed it is quite possible that I could play 12 rounds without any of them impacting my H/I - and that number could be more than 12 if one or more of the 12 was the same as one of my best 8.

And MY point was simply confirming that your handicap index is calculated using your last 20 scores, and you agreed (see your own post above).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And MY point was simply confirming that your handicap index is calculated using your last 20 scores, and you agreed (see your own post above).
It is - but my point is simply that I don't have to worry or get a bit stressed about that fact on a round-by-round basis in the way I would have when I had a card in hand for a qualifier - because then I knew that that qualifier round mattered in a much more immediate and direct way than counting rounds will under WHS.

Glad we can agree though :)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is - but my point is simply that I don't have to worry or get a bit stressed about that fact on a round-by-round basis in the way I would have when I had a card in hand for a qualifier - because then I knew that that qualifier round mattered in a much more immediate and direct way than counting rounds will under WHS.

Glad we can agree though :)

If that was all you had said before I would have made no comment as I have no view/opinion on your worry/stress playing a round of golf in the new WHS world vs how it was before. I was merely correcting you when you said the WHS calculation doesn't work in the way it actually does and you have since acknowledged and agreed with (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If that was all you had said before I would have made no comment as I have no view/opinion on your worry/stress playing a round of golf in the new WHS world vs how it was before. I was merely correcting you when you said the WHS calculation doesn't work in the way it actually does and you have since acknowledged and agreed with (y)
In this this thread and other related threads, many express degrees of dislike of WHS and push-back on comps being deemed counting comps by their clubs on the basis that they don't want to be playing qualifiers for such as their rollups and other social competitions.

I am simply commenting that those holding such concerns do not have to see things that way due to the way WHS works. So when someone posts expressing concerns that 40% of their rounds will count towards their handicap index at any time, I am suggesting that whilst it is true that over a rolling widow of 20 rounds 40% of these 20 will count, it is not something I need to be concerned about on a round-by-round basis. As mentioned - I could be in the situation where I could play 12 or more rounds with not a single one of them changing my H/I (unless I am completely missing something about WHS)

Last edited:

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put in a card on each of the 18 hole rounds I played since the system came in, and will continue to do so. It gives me a fair reflection of where I'm at, and also ensures there's an element of 'trying' in my knock about games with mates - which in turn, makes me score better and enjoy it all a lot more.

My handicap has gone up since putting cards in, due in part to the wet conditions in the winter - but then my handicap is fair to those conditions ... Once we get back out and the fairways are rolling again and it's not totally muddy everywhere, I suspect I'll come back down a shot or two - reflective of my ability at that time on the course.

I enjoy golf 100% more when I'm trying, and keeping score - and WHS has been a hugely welcome way of me doing that more than a couple of times a month, having not previously been able to do supplementary cards due to being in Cat 1.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
In this this thread and other related threads, many express degrees of dislike of WHS and push-back on comps being deemed counting comps on the basis that it seems that their clubs will deem many rounds to be qualifiers, and they don't want to be playing qualifiers for such as their rollups and other social competitions. I am simply commenting that those holding such concerns do not have to see things that way due to the way WHS works - as you know.

Again, I was simply correcting your incorrect statement re. how a WHS index is calculated above which you have since acknowledged was incorrect. (y)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
same here my 19th and 20th scores are my best two

I played my 1st comp last Saturday and got my first 0.2 back as my 20th score was counting. Was to be expected as only 2nd time hitting a ball in 2021 but worse disasters will befall the nation than my WHS index going up 0.2.

P.S. Does anyone know what the appeals process is for a WHS adjustment? Can I take it to court??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well im expecting a increase in handicap as 4 of my next 5 score are counters and due to drop off.already had .1 for 1at medal this year:mad:

Please don't confuse me. I have only recently got it into my head that "qualifiers" are now "counting" and you come along and tell me that, to be a counter, it has to be in your best 8.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please don't confuse me. I have only recently got it into my head that "qualifiers" are now "counting" and you come along and tell me that, to be a counter, it has to be in your best 8.

In practice, the way it works now is:

- to get cut, you need to beat your 8th best score.
- if your 20th score is one of your best 8, you have to equal it for your index to stay the same. If you don't, your 9th best score takes its place as your new 8th best score and therefore you will most likely get a small increase.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played my 1st comp last Saturday and got my first 0.2 back as my 20th score was counting. Was to be expected as only 2nd time hitting a ball in 2021 but worse disasters will befall the nation than my WHS index going up 0.2.

P.S. Does anyone know what the appeals process is for a WHS adjustment? Can I take it to court??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
who can say, but i wouldn't be suprised if someone did:LOL:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
In the main this is not true for me. Whenever I play I am trying to put in the best score I can achieve and treat a medal exactly the same as a social round. In that way I am not putting myself under increased pressure when I am playing in a comp. There are some rounds where I am playing around and trying out new thin and the round is treated exactly as that.

One of my regular playing partners hates it when we are not playing for anything.

I'm expecting to be trying out thins, new and old, come the 29th.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If someone could make a note to check in on this thread in a year’s time, it would be hugely interesting.

The guidance under WHS is to put more cards in, outside of competition rounds.

Over 40% have said on the poll that they will NEVER do that. Will be keen to see if that’s the reality after it’s bedded in some more. It may still be for some, but 4/10 people never putting in a score (or supplementary in old money) seems really high.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I won’t.....a competition round is golf. Other rounds are interspersed with dog walking, phone calls, texts, practicing, jumping about holes, not holing out, messing about, match play....... Quite happy with 2 modes of golf as is is.

For you.

I play for money almost every time I play. If we're knocking about it'll be a scramble or something fun.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

So, your club has gone ahead with comps?
We've not had any since October and doubt we will have any until travel restrictions are lifted.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For you.

I play for money almost every time I play. If we're knocking about it'll be a scramble or something fun.

I play for money (or drinks in the bar, loser pays) most of the time, but then it's 4bbb match play for me. No point in being conservative, go for everything. Especially putting. World of difference between this, and individual medal.

Reactions: D-S

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, your club has gone ahead with comps?
We've not had any since October and doubt we will have any until travel restrictions are lifted.

Yes, they had one last Saturday altho the rest planned for March have been postponed as trying to book times in 2 balls via HDID didn't go too well.

There were also several issues with folk not turning up to play with who they were booked with, in one case just heading out with their brother who they usually play with, other examples of others just walking on and playing without bookings etc., just the usual chaos we have come to expect since it's not been possible to have a proper starting and sign-in process with the shop being closed.

Travel restrictions isn't an issue for us as most members live close by and within our local council area.