How many will submit “Qualfying Cards”

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Will you submit cards outside of Comps and how many

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 16999

My default position will be to enter every round I play. There will need to be good a reason to not do so (like the format on the day) rather than a reason to do so.
^^This^^
Some of my best rounds have come outside of a Comp, certainly believe the mental pressure of a comp has gotten to me.

I’m hoping by taking the attitude above it helps me overcome crumbling with a card in my hand.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep, that is the way you think. Others won't. Other opinions are equally valid.
The thing is - I thought exactly as you (and was very vocally anti-WHS for our rollups being 'counting' rounds) until I realised I didn't have to think the way I was (your way) - because I realised that rounds didn't need to matter in the way that qualifiers did because most of the time they just won't. If I want every round to matter then I can start every round with such a mindset - and make things needlessly tough for myself.

But hey. If you are determined that every round that might impact your H/I is really important and you tee off with that mindset then - IMO - you are making the WHS a rod for your own back - when it just needn't be.

The first step to my and Bdill93's way of thinking is to stop thinking of every round that goes into your 20 round pot as a qualifier. That is old CONGU thinking that no longer need apply. Think of a round as simply one that goes into the pot - nothing more than that - a round that most probably won't make any difference to my H/I - unless that is it is good enough to reduce it :)

I'll note that once I'd 'seen the light' I decided that I had to apologise to our Captain, Golf Manager and Pro as I'd been very vociferous in my opposition to what the club was proposing for roll-ups. And I was very happy to make these apologies.

Last edited:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Im on the fence, surely just throwing loads in the pot, means alot of good rounds drop off, so your going to be on the 1st tee knowing that if your 20th oldest score which is about to drop off is a 'counter' you need to beat or match it or your handicap is 100% going to increase? Likewise as your round progresses, your handicap may be decreasing dramatically? Surely the stress is the same as it was for any other qualifier?

Unler these circumstances (which will be 40% of your rounds at least) Im pretty sure I wont be grabbing driver for a bit of fun!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Im on the fence, surely just throwing loads in the pot, means alot of good rounds drop off, so your going to be on the 1st tee knowing that if your 20th oldest score which is about to drop off is a 'counter' you need to beat or match it or your handicap is 100% going to increase? Likewise as your round progresses, your handicap may be decreasing dramatically? Surely the stress is the same as it was for any other qualifier?

Unler these circumstances (which will be 40% of your rounds at least) Im pretty sure I wont be grabbing driver for a bit of fun!

Hear me out here...

Id argue if this is the case, maybe you need the additonal shots on you HI as you cant regularly play (8/20) to that low level again?

If you're a consistent golfer, you've got nothing to worry about as 8/20 isnt even a good round in every 2..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Good rounds will drop off once they are more than 19 rounds old, and so such as a fluke brilliant round that brought your handicap crunching down will eventually disappear and your handicap index will slowly adjust back up to where it would be were it not for the fluke. And so if you want to maintain your exact H/I index then yes you'll have to produce the same score as the one you are losing. If not your H/I will drift up a little - but as it's calculated across your best 8 it isn't likely to move up very much.

I know where your 40% comes from but it doesn't work that way. If your best 8 rounds are your last 8 rounds then you can play 12 rounds and hence lose 12 rounds before your H/I is impacted - and it will only be impacted if none of these new 12 rounds is the same as, or better than, one of your best 8. The whole system is about getting you a H/I that reflects your most recent play - moving away from a handicap that is biased by one or more brilliant rounds of times distant past.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Equally, under congu, with cats and buffer you shouldnt be stressed because you only had to get close to your handicap to hot buffer?

I cant see how any qualifying round is different than it always has been?

And in Swings it like hogans example, youve then got 8 rounds in a row that represent apurple batch all coming at once!

D

Deleted Member 1156

My view that your handicap is most accurate by entering every card is fact - not an opinion. The more data, the better.

Ive never said you have to submit every round. Ive suggested you should to have the most accurate handicap and by not doing this - you are manipulating your handicap in some way - also fact.
No this isn't true. The mindset between competitive rounds and bounce games are completely different. If I submitted every card my handicap would go way up and not be a true reflection of my ability.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good rounds will drop off once they are more than 19 rounds old, and so such as a fluke brilliant round that brought your handicap crunching down will disappear and your handicap index will slowly adjust back up to where it would be were it not for the fluke. And so if you want to maintain your exact H/I index then yes you'll have to produce the same score as you are losing. If not your H/I will drift up a little - but as it's calculated across your best 8 it isn't likely to move up very much.

I know where your 40% comes from but it doesn't work that way. If your best 8 rounds are your last 8 rounds then you can play 12 rounds and hence lose 12 rounds before your H/I is impacted - and it will only be impacted if none of these 12 rounds is the same as, or better than, one of your best 8. The whole system is about getting you a H/I that reflects your most recent play - not a few brilliant rounds of times distant past.

It absolutely DOES work that way i.e. 40% of your last 20 rounds are used to calculate your handicap index. Everything else is whataboutery...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Equally, under congu, with cats and buffer you shouldnt be stressed because you only had to get close to your handicap to hot buffer?

I cant see how any qualifying round is different than it always has been?

And in Swings it like hogans example, youve then got 8 rounds in a row that represent apurple batch all coming at once!

And a purple patch of 8 rounds of great scoring should most definitely be as fully reflected as possible in your H/I

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It absolutely DOES work that way i.e. 40% of your last 20 rounds are used to calculate your handicap index. Everything else is whataboutery...
Yes I agree - but that doesn't necessarily translate into 40% of the rounds I play counting towards my 8 - they all go into my 20 round pot but they won't necessarily count. If my H/I is calculated from my last 8 rounds then I can play 12 rounds without a single one of them counting towards my handicap index as one of my best 8. I will know that and so could play all of these rounds as recklessly and carefree as I might wish.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have set a target with my friend to make 250 birdies between us this year. We did the same a couple of years ago with a target of 100 from August onwards and we smashed it. If I'm playing a bounce game with her and have a 30ft putt for birdie I'll be going for it and not worrying about the one back. With a card in my hand I'd be looking to leave it stone dead. Totally different mindset.

Edit: due to 3 months lockdown we'll need to revise our target ?

D

Deleted member 16999

I have set a target with my friend to make 250 birdies between us this year. We did the same a couple of years ago with a target of 100 from August onwards and we smashed it. If I'm playing a bounce game with her and have a 30ft putt for birdie I'll be going for it and not worrying about the one back. With a card in my hand I'd be looking to leave it stone dead. Totally different mindset.
But you’re a Cat 1 who has developed this mindset/ability over years of steady Golf.

I hope to get to that mindset and can see the WHS helping me, and, for some it won’t be required.(y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No this isn't true. The mindset between competitive rounds and bounce games are completely different. If I submitted every card my handicap would go way up and not be a true reflection of my ability.

In the main this is not true for me. Whenever I play I am trying to put in the best score I can achieve and treat a medal exactly the same as a social round. In that way I am not putting myself under increased pressure when I am playing in a comp. There are some rounds where I am playing around and trying out new thin and the round is treated exactly as that.

One of my regular playing partners hates it when we are not playing for anything.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No I didn't :)
My point is simply that I don't have to worry about every round I play impacting my H/I; that I don't have to worry about 2 out of every 5 I play impacting my H/I, indeed it is quite possible that I could play 12 rounds without any of them impacting my H/I - and that number could be more than 12 if one or more of the 12 was the same as one of my best 8.

And so the fact that our social/friendly rollups are going to be included as rounds for my 20 round pot just doesn't bother me in the slightest. Most of the time these rounds just won't impact by H/I. And as we will have loads of 'counting' rounds - I won't be needing to put in additional cards. I might put additional cards in if I am playing well; I want to get my H/I down quickly if possible, and think I could get rid of a couple of rubbish rounds from my best 8.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nobody's saying they should.
If youre able to play enough comps then there's not necessarily a need for anyone to put in other cards.
Not everyone can play 2 or 3 or more comps a month for a number of reasons
So they play a "social" game but play it with a card in their hand, trying to play their best.
In this respect, to me there's 2 types of golf...card in hand or no card in hand.
Card in hand can be the Medal or Stableford or it can be 3 guys going out on a Friday afternoon to play as well as they can and put the card in.
No card in hand is gimmees, dodgy drops, excessive banter etc etc...
To me they are easily distinguished
Sorry, I just meant pointless for me. I do get the purpose for others as you describe. But for me, my non-comp rounds are either having a laugh with my mates, or my dad, or if playing on my own I'll be practising short game or such-and-such, it would never be a situation where I'm really focused on scoring well so I wouldn't hand any extra cards in myself. (y)