• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Will you submit cards outside of Comps and how many

• Total voters

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No I have actually.

I’d much rather my handicap reflect my current playing ability. If you’re submitting one card every 3 weeks it’s not going to be as accurate as 3 cards a week. It’s really that simple.

No. It's not. You are assuming either wilful handicap manipulation, or the same level of concentration as someone would put in in a competition. For some, may be many, that won't be the case. 9 times out of 10, I don't care what I score. I play hit and giggle. I bend it round trees, take on silly shots. I will continue to do this. If I put cards in, I will go up. Not because I want to, but because I play that sort of golf.
Competitions, I play more conservatively, because they count. I don't care if I win, but I concentrate more. I will not do this for rounds outside of this. If someone on a committee says these rounds count, I will continue to play hit and giggle. I do not have any interest in playing percentage play any more than I have to.
Everyone is different, and your mistake is thinking that everyone thinks like you do.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Pretty much every round i play except comps is match play with mates. There's nothing inherently devious about it, and I suspect many golfers are like this.

Is match play an acceptable card to hand in for a “social score”? - genuine question, I wouldn’t include it myself - but I don’t play it.

D

Deleted member 3432

Apart from the fact that there's not a single golfer on the planet who wants to hole out and keep their best possible score EVERY single time they play golf.

I have had quite a few seasons in the past few years where every game I have played on the course was a comp round. Needs must with a young family and time poor. It is what it is, we all don't play enough play enough golf that we can pick and choose pick and choose.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
No. It's not. You are assuming either wilful handicap manipulation, or the same level of concentration as someone would put in in a competition. For some, may be many, that won't be the case. 9 times out of 10, I don't care what I score. I play hit and giggle. I bend it round trees, take on silly shots. I will continue to do this. If I put cards in, I will go up. Not because I want to, but because I play that sort of golf.
Competitions, I play more conservatively, because they count. I don't care if I win, but I concentrate more. I will not do this for rounds outside of this. If someone on a committee says these rounds count, I will continue to play hit and giggle. I do not have any interest in playing percentage play any more than I have to.
Everyone is different, and your mistake is thinking that everyone thinks like you do.

What’s the honest difference between your competition rounds and these other rounds in score?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What’s the honest difference between your competition rounds and these other rounds in score?

Who knows? I have no idea. The point is, when I play, I don't care. I don't want to care. Sometimes it will lead to a great score, on a day when it all comes together, sometimes it will be a shocker. If the card matters, it will put a different feeling on the round, and that isn't what I play golf for. I have played for 45 years, and in general, don't give a stuff what my score is, and don't want to. That isn't golf to me.

D

Deleted member 3432

But that's completely different from choosing to hole out and keep your best possible score in every single social round with your mates.

Depends on how you view your golf I guess. Newer golfers and those that have played for 40 years or more are more likely to have different attitudes to the game. Highlight of the week for many is the 4 ball on Saturday morning where the 'banter' is more important than the golf whereas the mad keen newer and improving golfer is probably wanting to try and beat their best score.

Both playing golf so who cares who is putting a card in or not?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Who knows? I have no idea. The point is, when I play, I don't care. I don't want to care. Sometimes it will lead to a great score, on a day when it all comes together, sometimes it will be a shocker. If the card matters, it will put a different feeling on the round, and that isn't what I play golf for. I have played for 45 years, and in general, don't give a stuff what my score is, and don't want to. That isn't golf to me.

Sounds like you just hate WHS ?

If you’re not taking a scorecard - you can’t submit the score can you!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Pre WHS I played the Wednesday Saturday and Sunday Comp and a supplementary on a Friday afternoon.
It used to really itch my hole if the weekend was a team comp, can’t play in them, not worth my time or good shots.
I won’t have that problem now, so yes all of my rounds will be recorded providing I can swing a club.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

It depends if the club thinks roll ups playing stableford should count. I hope not, as whilst I play in several, I ceased giving a stuff about winning them years ago, and it's more about having fun, rather than the score.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I said no. My club has a lot of comps during the season which I enter most of them so that should be enough to get a handle on my current form and handicap capacity.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Amazing how some clubs have so many comps.
I can see me most weeks chucking 2 or 3 scores into my WHS pot - but maybe only 1 in 5 will I approach with a ‘competition’ mindset, and maybe max 2 or3 a month will I consider club competitions - two medal rounds and one other board comp.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends if the club thinks roll ups playing stableford should count. I hope not, as whilst I play in several, I ceased giving a stuff about winning them years ago, and it's more about having fun, rather than the score.
My club is - but my mindset for them will be that they are simply rounds for my WHS pot and not qualifying/competition rounds. My clubs wants us to do as much as possible to make WHS work the best for us all.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you ever played in the USA? I've played loads in Myrtle Beach which is a golf holiday mecca. The yanks go out with their mates, buggies loaded up with beers. They hit the ball behind trees, kick it out, pick up on greens and say 'Put me down for a 5'. After these rounds I've seen them enter the scores into the computer in the clubhouse. Don't kid yourself that entering every score gives you a true handicap.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I dont think I'll hand in many, maybe the odd one of two, but most practice rounds are, well practice...

I dont want to be grinding every round, and i dont want to remove the competition 'feel' of organised comps.

A few of my regular playing partners are + handicappers, who are still getting mixed messages about whether they can enter general play rounds from the county... so if there not marking cards, I doubt I will.

D

Deleted member 21258

As someone who generally isn't bothered about playing comps(last year none, year before 3 for example).

I would probably do 10-20 cards a year if via an easy log into an app. if it means logging in the clubhouse or pro shop still, then I will probably do none this year and let it lapse.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As someone who generally isn't bothered about playing comps(last year none, year before 3 for example).

I would probably do 10-20 cards a year if via an easy log into an app. if it means logging in the clubhouse or pro shop still, then I will probably do none this year and let it lapse.
The SG has an App, so you just log on (or i'm lead to belive thats what you do;) ) and put in a GP score when you like, don't EG have similar??

its going to be a great help to some of the old boys at ours, no more having to play in medals off the whites, which most still throught they had to, so some havn't done a card in years and handicaps not kept pace with the downward turn with old age

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The SG has an App, so you just log on (or i'm lead to belive thats what you do;) ) and put in a GP score when you like, don't EG have similar??

its going to be a great help to some of the old boys at ours, no more having to play in medals off the whites, which most still throught they had to, so some havn't done a card in years and handicaps not kept pace with the downward turn with old age
It depends on each club I believe. The option may well be there, whether your own club take that up is another matter. I think the idea is good by the way, I'm not anti it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It depends on each club I believe. The option may well be there, whether your own club take that up is another matter. I think the idea is good by the way, I'm not anti it.
can't speak for other clubs but not many Sup cards have been posted since they came in not by older guys anyway, i think this will be good for some of them... well the ones who have smart phones at least... a few i know still PAYG bricks they havn't used in years:LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Have you ever played in the USA? I've played loads in Myrtle Beach which is a golf holiday mecca. The yanks go out with their mates, buggies loaded up with beers. They hit the ball behind trees, kick it out, pick up on greens and say 'Put me down for a 5'. After these rounds I've seen them enter the scores into the computer in the clubhouse. Don't kid yourself that entering every score gives you a true handicap.

Im not doing that though :ROFLMAO: sounds like a good day out to be fair, it is a goal of mine to play some golf in the US.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
can't speak for other clubs but not many Sup cards have been posted since they came in not by older guys anyway, i think this will be good for some of them... well the ones who have smart phones at least... a few i know still PAYG bricks they havn't used in years:LOL:
The seniors at my club organise themselves via a Whatsapp group. The oldies like to play dumb at times over tech but if they really want to they can manage it, even if it means a mate doing it for them. I'm not fooled by them :LOL: