I GET SHOTS

IJames

Visit site
In Strokeplay, I've generally (in both UHS and WHS) simply used the sum of stableford differential - positive being ahead of handicap, negative being behind - to measure how any round is going, while recording gross scores on the scorecard. Nice and simple and little difference to Matchplay. Nice and simple and applicable to both regimes.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just dont think par is a relatable number for the vaste majority of golfers. They are neither good enough to be tending towards level, or, are playing handicap competition, so may as well keep any mental score in that format, as that is what matters for that round. Stableford in the main.

Stableford scores are derived from Par. Par has meaning to every player.

This is the issue I have. Gross score is all that matters because every single measure and scoring system is derived from it. That is why that is the minimum that needs recorded on a scorecard. Everything else is a derivative.

Play each hole, write down how many times you hit the ball. Move on. Enjoy the round, do the maths at the end.

I absolutely hate being told my score half way round. And having to do sums on the 10th tee when I’d much rather be hitting my ball, eating a pie or drinking a coffee.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How do you feel about keeping track of one's gross score - ie one's golf score?
It just has no relevance to me I guess. I am never playing gross score competitions, so it isnt relevant to my level of golf. For scratch players in non handicapped competitions, of course, I see the merit.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

This is the issue I have. Gross score is all that matters because every single measure and scoring system is derived from it. That is why that is the minimum that needs recorded on a scorecard. Everything else is a derivative.

Play each hole, write down how many times you hit the ball. Move on. Enjoy the round, do the maths at the end.

I absolutely hate being told my score half way round. And having to do sums on the 10th tee when I’d much rather be hitting my ball, eating a pie or drinking a coffee.
I play no competition where totted gross scores are the result.
Generally playing stableford. I will know in my head as I play, my points tot. I couldnt not. It takes no effort. The gross score is irrelevant and I have no need to tot it in that case.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It just has no relevance to me I guess. I am never playing gross score competitions, so it isnt relevant to my level of golf. For scratch players in non handicapped competitions, of course, I see the merit.
I play in two gross score competitions each year and about 40 net competitions. More stablefords than medals.
I think about my net score (or stableford points) after I've completed my round and I think about my golf score (each hole and cumulative) during my round.
Thinking about my net score (or stableford points) during my round would add a further calculation to be applied to my golf score for each hole - so I don't do it.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

I'd like to hear more about the pie. Are we talking meat or apple?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In my regular Sat rollup I’ll be told by the group marker my stableford pts at the turn and asked if I think it's right. I usually don't know but will say such as 'dunno - not great - was I’m thinking maybe 12, could be 14 so your 14 is about right‘. I check at the end.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

I play no competition where totted gross scores are the result.
Generally playing stableford. I will know in my head as I play, my points tot. I couldnt not. It takes no effort. The gross score is irrelevant and I have no need to tot it in that case.
The gross score is the only score you must write on a scorecard. So it is the most relevant score of all.

Jason.H

Visit site
If you don’t note down the gross scores how do you enter your scores into the computer after the round. It’s always gross scores in the computer for stablefords and medals.
If people are struggling with the new system is is because they don’t have England Golf app so they can’t plainly see their best 8 of 20?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Given the number of people who claim to feel the pressure of submitting a score. I believe most people are better off not keeping track of their score.
…especially as they claim that the pressure of submitting a score is one of the reasons they don’t like WHS and it’s underlying drive to get players submitting more cards.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The gross score is the only score you must write on a scorecard. So it is the most relevant score of all.
Sure, I know the gross score per hole.
But in itself is not important - the sum of them has no meaning for me - I am not playing competitions where that sum determines the results page. Its points, v par, or net, that will be on the results. So thats the running score in my head as I play. It doesnt matter that I took a 10 on a hole as such, rather that I didnt increase my points tally on that hole.

Kennysarmy

Visit site

Relevant only during each specific hole ;)

Once I'm on the second hole the gross score on the 1st hole is irrelevant....

Interesting discussion BTW.

D

Deleted member 1147

Sure, I know the gross score per hole.
But in itself is not important - the sum of them has no meaning for me - I am not playing competitions where that sum determines the results page. Its points, v par, or net, that will be on the results. So thats the running score in my head as I play. It doesnt matter that I took a 10 on a hole as such, rather that I didnt increase my points tally on that hole.
You've never played a medal?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the 'new' handicap system. But the positive side is that I've genuinely stopped caring what my handicap is now. When I understood it, I was focussed on getting it lower, but now you can have a good round and go up, or have an average round and get cut, so who cares. It can be whatever it is.