How many will submit “Qualfying Cards”

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Will you submit cards outside of Comps and how many

• Total voters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate of mine plays off +1 but he sliced through the tendons in his hand 3 weeks ago. Unlikely he will be able to grip a club properly for 6 months so how does he get a handicap that reflects his current ability during the summer?

for interest looking for something else I found this

7.1a/2 – Handicap Committee Applied Adjustment For Injured Player
Must Be Based On Scores Made After Injury
The Handicap Committee should only consider adjusting a player’s Handicap
Index for injury after one or more acceptable scores have been submitted after
the injury occurred. In determining the level of any adjustment, the Handicap
Committee should take into consideration the scores submitted after the injury
and the nature and severity of the injury.
After a number of scores have been submitted and it becomes evident that the
injury has caused a permanent change to the player’s ability, it may be
appropriate to disregard the player’s scoring record and allocate a Handicap
Index using only the scores submitted since the injury (see Rule 5.2a).

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is up to the club to decide. Rules Of Handicapping 2.1a(iii)
Our match chair has been in touch with WHS help desk to clarify for our "Fiddle" if it was an individual as opposed to the normal 4BBB and there answer was Why wouldn’t players want the scores used for handicap purposes, to reflect their current ability?
However thy do go onto say it's up to individual clubs .

As regards putting in cards, from my experience of playing under the NZ version of WHS for 6 years I hated the first 6 or so weeks but then adapted to their system and 80% of my rounds were then used for handicap and it soon took away the feeling of fearing the Comp as it meant I had a card in my hand . I feel this adjustment made me a better player as I felt more relaxed. I've always been of the mindset to get my handicap as low as possible and if on the way I win something that's a bonus so looking forward to the 31st when i will be putting my first GP card in .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
“Fullest spirit of WHS”

What is that supposed to mean

Did you all put supplementary cards in previously ? If not why not ?
It’s quite simply that our rollups are fully organised individual competitions that we enter in advance, and the WHS would like all such rounds to count towards our 20. It is still the clubs choice and I was told my club is doing it to comply with the request from WHS as fully as possible and in the spirit that the more rounds that can count towards our h/i the better reflection our h/i will be.

And yes most of us did because most of us from time to time played in the ‘enter on the day’ Saturday or Sunday stablefords held every week.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s quite simply that our rollups are fully organised individual competitions and the WHS would like all such rounds to count towards our 20. Still the clubs choice whether or not to do that and I was told my club is doing it to comply with the request from WHS as fully as possible. And yes most of us did because most of us from time to time played in the ‘enter on the day’ Saturday or Sunday stablefords held every week.

well entering a stableford comp is not putting in a supplementary card - that’s playing in a club competition , did you put in supplementary cards when not playing in the competition

Our roll ups are also fully organised individual competitions , and the club can’t do anything if the roll decides no putting out and the club can’t also stop the whole roll up entering a general play scorecard

At the end of the day any score card enter must be played under competition conditions hence why it’s far too much of a mess to play 4BBB matchplay whilst playing a single strokeplay - as I said earlier you suggest you do gimmies for the 4bbb but then putt out ?‍♂️

Have the club made is compulsory that all roll ups submit cards ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
well entering a stableford comp is not putting in a supplementary card - that’s playing in a club competition , did you put in supplementary cards when not playing in the competition

Our roll ups are also fully organised individual competitions , and the club can’t do anything if the roll decides no putting out and the club can’t also stop the whole roll up entering a general play scorecard

At the end of the day any score card enter must be played under competition conditions hence why it’s far too much of a mess to play 4BBB matchplay whilst playing a single strokeplay - as I said earlier you suggest you do gimmies for the 4bbb but then putt out ?‍♂️

Have the club made is compulsory that all roll ups submit cards ?
Compulsory? - for the five main ones - Yes. Unless things have changed during the lockdown.

And as I mentioned that is no big deal for the gents rollups at least as we submit a card for these already.

All that will happen now is we must hole out - and we can and will easily do that even if in our 4BBB match a putt has already been given (that could be messy as you suggest but I don’t think it will be as we already do this when playing the sat club stableford alongside the rollup) and instead of the score just going into the rollup book - the card also goes into WHS.

I think the new arrangements will work fine for our rollups as it will be minimal - in some instances absolutely no change from what we already do.

I get that that might not be the case for all clubs and rollups.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well I can attest we have several players who have gone up sufficient to hit their soft cap under WHS.

In winter conditions the vast majority have gone up

Interesting. My course is way easier over the winter (shorter but still allowing WHS scores), rough all cut back, plenty bunkers being renovated, often less windy than spring/summer.

Chap I know, playing handicap down from 18 at the start of WHS to 11.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting. My course is way easier over the winter (shorter but still allowing WHS scores), rough all cut back, plenty bunkers being renovated, often less windy than spring/summer.

Chap I know, playing handicap down from 18 at the start of WHS to 11.
A bit of context here as the period in question was between WHS go live in November and lockdown.

The weather was aweful and the conditions very wet. We have lots of members who got into the habit of putting cards in prior to WHS introduction and thus in some cases were putting in 3 or 4 cards a week. Many of these were now flushing out cards played under summer conditions and hence the rise in Handicap Index.

I suspect over the course of a season most handicaps will move a couple of shots *up and down) over time rather than the more flat nature of the old system.

I'm not sure a slightly easier course would be the main reason for a seven shot reduction alone but more we did see some major changes when WHS was introduced.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I tend to return about 30 cards per year from comps so I haven't felt the need to return more. My view might change from now on when I look at the "20th ago" score that I will be replacing. It will depend on the weather and conditions. Make hay while the sun shines. My only interest is to get my handicap down. (current HI = 4.3) That has been my mindset for 50 years and it will not change. I have heard others talk about handing in a general play round (or two) to get their handicap up by one shot prior to the next club comp or knockout. Despicable! I've got only one way to play golf and that is always try to score as best as you can.