How many will submit “Qualfying Cards”

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Will you submit cards outside of Comps and how many

• Total voters

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, they had one last Saturday altho the rest planned for March have been postponed as trying to book times in 2 balls via HDID didn't go too well.

There were also several issues with folk not turning up to play with who they were booked with, in one case just heading out with their brother who they usually play with, other examples of others just walking on and playing without bookings etc., just the usual chaos we have come to expect since it's not been possible to have a proper starting and sign-in process with the shop being closed.

Travel restrictions isn't an issue for us as most members live close by and within our local council area.

Can’t someone just stand on/by/near the first tee and start the players off?

D-S

Visit site
Are the mods making a list of those people who say they won’t enter extra non competition cards so that when they post moaning about bandits, handicap manipulation, short game wizards, etc they can be given an infraction? ???????
I think if I saw a handicap record from player A with 30 ‘social scores’ and 1 competition score and player B with 30 competition scores and 1 ’social scorek, I would be more concerned about handicap manipulation from player A.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think if I saw a handicap record from player A with 30 ‘social scores’ and 1 competition score and player B with 30 competition scores and 1 ’social scorek, I would be more concerned about handicap manipulation from player A.

Why worry, the person with only 1 comp scores can do you no harm as they don't play comps.

Boomy

Visit site
I won’t.....a competition round is golf. Other rounds are interspersed with dog walking, phone calls, texts, practicing, jumping about holes, not holing out, messing about, match play....... Quite happy with 2 modes of golf as is is.

“Interspersed with dog walking, phone calls, texts” really though?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
“Interspersed with dog walking, phone calls, texts” really though?

Yes.....dog comes everyday when it’s not a competition (or raining) as I wouldn’t want to put other people off and he has the odd occasion of running off with balls! Where else would I want to take work calls than on the 7th fairway....if they go on too long I either ask them to wait while I play or just stick the phone on the ground and let them gabble on.....and how else do you see how the boys in front are scoring or share a pic of incredibly bad lie.

2 modes of golf - competition and then every day life in the fresh air......

D

Deleted Member 1156

Are the mods making a list of those people who say they won’t enter extra non competition cards so that when they post moaning about bandits, handicap manipulation, short game wizards, etc they can be given an infraction? ???????
Why do you think that entering more cards equals a more accurate handicap?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why do you think that entering more cards equals a more accurate handicap?
I know it’s early in the morning, but surely the amount of smileys I put on the quote should show I was joking! ?
But if you want to be pedantic, simple statistics show the larger the pool/field of information, the more accurate it tends to be.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I know it’s early in the morning, but surely the amount of smileys I put on the quote should show I was joking! ?
But if you want to be pedantic, simple statistics show the larger the pool/field of information, the more accurate it tends to be.
I'm not being pedantic but surely you understand the difference between a competitive round mindset and a bounce game mindset? I can shoot low 70's in a medal but I'm not the least bit worried if I shoot mid 80's having a laugh with my mates. If I submit more cards yes there is more data but it's not a true reflection of my golfing ability. Based on those bounce games my handicap could go up 4 or 5 shots but you are saying that's OK because I've submitted lots of cards?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My view on this is that I probably will enter quite a few general play rounds (once I get my initial cards in) because the social rounds I do play can be easily tweaked to make them count by holing out, playing provisionals instead of taking a drop etc.

I can't imagine my mindset would be any different playing in a competition than it would be with mates anyway (probably due to the competitive nature of our social group).

The only rounds I really try new things on and hit multiple balls, rehit bad shots etc are solo rounds on a Friday afternoon after an early finish - which i couldn't submit anyway.

However, if your social rounds are a much more relaxed, out for a walk with mates, affair then I can understand why you wouldn't be submitting general play cards.

It all depends on the individuals or groups you play with.

Live and let live!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not being pedantic but surely you understand the difference between a competitive round mindset and a bounce game mindset? I can shoot low 70's in a medal but I'm not the least bit worried if I shoot mid 80's having a laugh with my mates. If I submit more cards yes there is more data but it's not a true reflection of my golfing ability. Based on those bounce games my handicap could go up 4 or 5 shots but you are saying that's OK because I've submitted lots of cards?
Surely a declared round for handicap is different to a bounce game? Certainly should be in terms of concentration, etc

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you're playing enough competition rounds that you feel your handicap is indicative of your standard of play then there's no need to put further cards in.
But you have the option, on those bounce game days, to play the bounce game with a competitive mindset and put the card in.
And if you're playing "card in hand" then you have a responsibility to score as well as you can. In other words you play with that competitive streak just as you would in the Medal
It doesn't mean you have to turn every bounce game into a counting round, far from it, but the more rounds entered that are played in competition or with a competitive mindset, the more accurately your index will reflect your current standard of play which is what the WHS is designed to do.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you're playing enough competition rounds that you feel your handicap is indicative of your standard of play then there's no need to put further cards in.
But you have the option, on those bounce game days, to play the bounce game with a competitive mindset and put the card in.
And if you're playing "card in hand" then you have a responsibility to score as well as you can. In other words you play with that competitive streak just as you would in the Medal
It doesn't mean you have to turn every bounce game into a counting round, far from it, but the more rounds entered that are played in competition or with a competitive mindset, the more accurately your index will reflect your current standard of play which is what the WHS is designed to do.
Correct. But in the real world that doesn't happen.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

A great point, you have to declare prior to the round anyway so once you've done that then you can get into the competitive mindset.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I still don't think my competitive mind set would be anywhere what it can be in a competition. It will be interesting to see if my competitive mindset is different with this 8 from 20, but I won't know until I am a decent number of cards in. That might not be til August ish, may be later.
I still struggle with the concept of cards not under comp conditions, in terms of field (not everyone playing, so varied concentration, gimmees, pick ups, messing about, varied pace of play, etc) and course conditioning, (greens not cut, greens not ironed, pin placements, tee markers not off the stones, etc). It is not the same to me. Easier? Harder? No idea, but different.
3 of our tees are 80 yards shorter when not off the stones, and yet there doesn't seem to be any adjustment for this that I can see.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I could easily increase my handicap by 10 shots in a month under the new system.

When do all those handicap opens with big prizes begin? ?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jeez there is so much overthinking going on in this.

either you are going to put cards in or not.

those that are saying your mindset is completely different if playing a competition or not, it makes you sound like you are on tour. You aren’t. You play amateur golf at a club for fun.
Every round is competitive. Whether you are playing club champs, or just for a round of beers in the bar afterwards (remember those days...). Every time you go out to play 18 holes, I can’t imagine any of you don’t go out with the intention of trying to shoot the lowest score you can on that day no matter the conditions.