How many will submit “Qualfying Cards”

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Will you submit cards outside of Comps and how many

• Total voters
D

Deleted Member 1156

I appreciate there's a difference between bounce games & competition games. But I still try to play the best I can everytime I go out. Am surprised there seem to be plenty of folk who dont?
People play for fun. If your mate hits a great shot then there is a good chance you will try to match it because it's a bounce game and it's for fun and the outcome doesn't matter. All those people that play every round like it's a medal must be a bundle of laughs on the course.

Competition = try my hardest
Bounce game = have a laugh and not worry about my score

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm not being pedantic but surely you understand the difference between a competitive round mindset and a bounce game mindset? I can shoot low 70's in a medal but I'm not the least bit worried if I shoot mid 80's having a laugh with my mates. If I submit more cards yes there is more data but it's not a true reflection of my golfing ability. Based on those bounce games my handicap could go up 4 or 5 shots but you are saying that's OK because I've submitted lots of cards?

True reflection of your gofling ability would be to go out every time with a card, try your best and submit the round every time.

Then if the system maybe took an average of say the best 8 out of 20, so that 12 rounds didnt matter (you could do whatever in those and it would remain unaffected) and the average of the 8 is what you commonly play to - with a small equation added on top to take into account course difficulties. - sounds like quite an accurate system to me... They should look into this!
I could easily increase my handicap by 10 shots in a month under the new system.

When do all those handicap opens with big prizes begin? ?

There are soft and hard caps stopping this from happening.

D

Deleted Member 1156

True reflection of your gofling ability would be to go out every time with a card, try your best and submit the round every time.

Then if the system maybe took an average of say the best 8 out of 20, so that 12 rounds didnt matter (you could do whatever in those and it would remain unaffected) and the average of the 8 is what you commonly play to - with a small equation added on top to take into account course difficulties. - sounds like quite an accurate system to me... They should look into this!

Do you play golf for fun?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I appreciate there's a difference between bounce games & competition games. But I still try to play the best I can everytime I go out. Am surprised there seem to be plenty of folk who dont?
Do you ever go out in the evening after a stressful day at work just to unwind, enjoy the sunshine and maybe try new swing thoughts?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yeah, every time I play I have fun!

Just because me and my PP's play the game properly - doesnt mean we dont piss ourselves when my old man sticks his drive into the duck pond mate.
Well keep up the good work, I'm sure your handicap will tumble mate.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and for me one of the main points is that your rubbish rounds won't count but your great rounds will. And regardless of how little pressure that you might feel when playing such as a friendly roll-up competition - if you put together a great score it is simply a fact that it was done a competition. And as that round might well reflect your ability it should be reflected in your H/I. If it was a fluke and your other 7 rounds of your 8 are nothing like it then your H/I will not be significantly impacted by the fluke round. If there are other not dissimilar rounds in your 8 then the round simply substantiates these scores.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People play for fun. If your mate hits a great shot then there is a good chance you will try to match it because it's a bounce game and it's for fun and the outcome doesn't matter. All those people that play every round like it's a medal must be a bundle of laughs on the course.

Competition = try my hardest
Bounce game = have a laugh and not worry about my score

So I hit my drive into the trees on 3, there is a 12ft gap, 15 yards ahead, that if it comes off, I can still make par. Medal = chip out, make bogey at worst. Any other game, esp 4bbb, and I am going for the hollywood shot.
Totally different mindset.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Mate of mine plays off +1 but he sliced through the tendons in his hand 3 weeks ago. Unlikely he will be able to grip a club properly for 6 months so how does he get a handicap that reflects his current ability during the summer?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Every round is competitive. Whether you are playing club champs, or just for a round of beers in the bar afterwards (remember those days...). Every time you go out to play 18 holes, I can’t imagine any of you don’t go out with the intention of trying to shoot the lowest score you can on that day no matter the conditions.
That is clearly not the case for everyone, hence why tihs discussion. Sometimes I will go out, social golf, and concentrate on just getting clean strikes with my irons. That may mean taking an iron when I should be taking a hybrid or a 3 wood but it is practice. I often go 3 wood off the tee on every par 4 and 5 for practice. I know I will take more shots but that doesn't bother me because I'm not counting. I'm having a friendly round with a mate, the score doesn't matter. So.....not every round is competitive.

I read Sam Torrance's autobiography last year. He couldn't play, outside of comps, without money being at stake. He had no interest without that. It's whatever you need or whatever floats your boat. It is not the same for everyone though.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Mate of mine plays off +1 but he sliced through the tendons in his hand 3 weeks ago. Unlikely he will be able to grip a club properly for 6 months so how does he get a handicap that reflects his current ability during the summer?

Ask his committee to issue him with a temporary handicap.... or play 20 rounds and see it adjust by 5/6 shots negatively for now.

D

Deleted member 3432

Golf handicap would be the least of my worries in this situation, I would be more concerned about having a fully functioning hand long term.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That is clearly not the case for everyone, hence why tihs discussion. Sometimes I will go out, social golf, and concentrate on just getting clean strikes with my irons. That may mean taking an iron when I should be taking a hybrid or a 3 wood but it is practice. I often go 3 wood off the tee on every par 4 and 5 for practice. I know I will take more shots but that doesn't bother me because I'm not counting. I'm having a friendly round with a mate, the score doesn't matter. So.....not every round is competitive.

I read Sam Torrance's autobiography last year. He couldn't play, outside of comps, without money being at stake. He had no interest without that. It's whatever you need or whatever floats your boat. It is not the same for everyone though.
Exactly..or more accurately Every round CAN be competitive
It just doesn't have to be in a competition to be competitive
You have the choice
Neither way is wrong.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Exactly..or more accurately Every round CAN be competitive
It just doesn't have to be in a competition to be competitive
You have the choice
Neither way is wrong.

The thing is, I can see how some might be trying to hit their best score every time they play. These people do exist.
But they don't seem to be able to comprehend that not every one is like that.

AliMc

Visit site
I think it can easily be a mixture of both, sometimes submitting GP cards in bounce games and sometimes not, as we have been playing in 2 balls it's been great to submit cards and have the games meaning something but now my back is playing up a bit I'll probably not bother for a wee while, when we go back to our 'friendly competitive' 4 balls I probably won't bother

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The thing is, I can see how some might be trying to hit their best score every time they play. These people do exist.
So if you are not really that bothered about your score in what you consider a friendly knock - albeit one that is set up as a competition - and you play a bit casually - even recklessly - and despite yourself you go on to knock it round well under your handicap, should that not be reflected in your H/I? WHS thinks it should be.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And in some cases it's likely to be the other way around too.
Nobody should have any issues with any of this as long as the non competition rounds that are entered are done properly - and as we're all golfers and its a game of integrity ( barring the miniscule number who dice with the rules anyway) we should, when playing card in hand for handicapping, play to the best of our ability on that day.
And when we're not we can do what we want and go for that gap..
Simply...every round can be competitive if you choose it to be and if you do, play like its competitive.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So if you are not really that bothered about your score in what you consider a friendly casual knock - albeit one that is set up to be competitive - and you actually play a bit casually - even recklessly - if you go on to knock it round well under your handicap should that not be reflected in your H/I? WHS thinks it should be.

No, it shouldn't. It would not reflect playing well, it would reflect a heck of a lot of luck. That is totally different, and is not sustainable. Perhaps if WHS threw out your best 3, took the next 8, and binned the last 9, that would make more sense, but to include a flash round built on luck, no, not for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jeez there is so much overthinking going on in this.

either you are going to put cards in or not.

those that are saying your mindset is completely different if playing a competition or not, it makes you sound like you are on tour. You aren’t. You play amateur golf at a club for fun.
Every round is competitive. Whether you are playing club champs, or just for a round of beers in the bar afterwards (remember those days...). Every time you go out to play 18 holes, I can’t imagine any of you don’t go out with the intention of trying to shoot the lowest score you can on that day no matter the conditions.
You always want to score well but the mindset and level of focus is different. Non-comp rounds you try out new shots, because if you don't practise them, you'll never be able to do them - whereas in a comp scenario you will go for the safer option which might be something different. And as I said before, in friendly rounds you may not stick rigidly to the rules of golf, in the interest of speed or enjoyability. For some people it may be the case that they never use driver in a comp because it's too wayward, but in a social round they will smash it to their heart's abandon because it's fun. There are loads of variable factors aside from whether you're trying to score well or not.