How many will submit “Qualfying Cards”

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Will you submit cards outside of Comps and how many

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Eh? What happens when you hit 13 rubbish roll-ups?
One will count in your 8 best rounds and have an impact - though probably not a significant impact - on your H/I

I can see that a devious individual might well just play in such as counting roll-ups and score rubbish in all - with the excuse he was just playing for fun - and his H/I will reflect that rubbish. And then he enters a major with his duff H/I and scoots it. Same as it ever was.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They may never make it to your best 8 but they can still have an effect on your index if they make your very best counting score your 21st and therefore off the list.
It may only be a small effect but it could still change your index.
Yes indeed - but only if I don't have a score in my other 11 better than 'todays' rubbish rollup score - and that 'other' score may well also change my index.

Strangely this has switched from not wanting to put in good scores from casual golf as the pressure isn't so great so H/I adjustment down wouldn't be 'fair', to the impact of rubbish scores from casual golf, as there's no pressure and a H/I adjustment up wouldn't be 'fair'...:)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not being pedantic but surely you understand the difference between a competitive round mindset and a bounce game mindset? I can shoot low 70's in a medal but I'm not the least bit worried if I shoot mid 80's having a laugh with my mates. If I submit more cards yes there is more data but it's not a true reflection of my golfing ability. Based on those bounce games my handicap could go up 4 or 5 shots but you are saying that's OK because I've submitted lots of cards?

Surely if you chose to submit a card you would concentrate whether it was a bounce game or not?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Surely if you chose to submit a card you would concentrate whether it was a bounce game or not?

Actually, I think that is the exact opposite of of what was intended.

Google definition of "a bounce game in golf" "A bounce game is a casual knock among friends, non qualifying." So by submitting a card (or not) you are immediately changing the context of the game.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would yes but it seems some people are advocating that every round should be submitted and I think it highly unlikely in those instances that they will concentrate fully all the time.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would yes but it seems some people are advocating that every round should be submitted and I think it highly unlikely in those instances that they will concentrate fully all the time.

But if my only golf is roll ups, and comps, and all roll ups count, then that is every card. Could be 4 cards a week from June. Pretty much 20 cards a month. No way am I even close to concentrating, or giving a monkey's that often.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My worry is that its just eating away at friendly games of golf, its already hard enough to have a bounce game with the number of comps and swindles and sweeps and roll ups. Now every second person wants to hand a card in, which is their right.

I just miss someone standing on the tee and saying let's play a texas scramble, or whos up for greensomes for a laugh. Lets play a 3 club comp.

There just seems to be less and less room for that.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you ever go out in the evening after a stressful day at work just to unwind, enjoy the sunshine and maybe try new swing thoughts?
Not really. It was the original plan when i joined where I am, but never really materialised. Now I just go & play with the lads 3-4 times a week (including comps when they're on.

But in my head, that's practice - and there's the thing. For me, golf is (sort of) split into three things - competitions, non-competition, and practice. I'll try to play the best I can in competion and non-competition golf, and I'll have as much fun as I can in non-competition and practice. Just because something is not a competition doesnt mean I wont try my best. I just might not take it seriously.

D

Deleted Member 1156

But if my only golf is roll ups, and comps, and all roll ups count, then that is every card. Could be 4 cards a week from June. Pretty much 20 cards a month. No way am I even close to concentrating, or giving a monkey's that often.
Yep, if I choose to submit a card I will concentrate but I wouldn't be happy if every round I played was a counting card. Having witnessed a lot of rounds in the USA under WHS I have seen with my own eyes that the system is too open to abuse.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've walked my dog on a course in the past whilst I played, hotel course, I knew I'd be the only one there. She careered around the place, totally out of control. Great fun but I never did it again.

You weren't the bloke with the spaniel at the Worsley Marriott in August last year were you? ?

The guy was putting out on the par 5 18th and we were waiting to tee off as everytime one of us would step up to the tee this bonkers spaniel would come busting out of the undergrowth right beside us. Once he'd finished he came trundling back up to get his dog.

Seemed a friendly little thing like ?.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So in summary.

People will complain if you don't hand in any non comp cards and win a comp.
People will complain if you do hand in comp cards and win a comp.

End thread.
Indeed plus

Some people will complain that a rubbish score in a 'casual comp' could impact their H/I
Some people will complain that a great score in a 'casual comp' could impact their H/I

Ah well

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep, if I choose to submit a card I will concentrate but I wouldn't be happy if every round I played was a counting card. Having witnessed a lot of rounds in the USA under WHS I have seen with my own eyes that the system is too open to abuse.

The US system was weird though. Whilst you had, in theory, to count every round, you only ever had to enter the total gross score. Not per hole, just the total. So there were players who play on Saturday, log in on Monday, and enter 92. No more detail than that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think that that is the case. It isn't at my club even although we have decided that the five main rollups held each week (three gents and two ladies) should now be counting rounds. I don't know of any intention to extend counting rounds any further into our casual/social golf. If one (or more) of a casual four ball (say) wants to put in counting card(s) they just pre-register and have their score validated by another of the group. That is no different from how previously we put in a supplementary.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
In practice, the way it works now is:

- to get cut, you need to beat your 8th best score.
- if your 20th score is one of your best 8, you have to equal it for your index to stay the same. If you don't, your 9th best score takes its place as your new 8th best score and therefore you will most likely get a small increase.

Thank you, but I am very well versed in sucking eggs.

My post - a weak attempt at humour - attempted to point out that your description of your "best 8" as "counters" could cause a little confusion as I, and many others, are using "counting" as referring to all rounds played for handicap purposes.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you, but I am very well versed in sucking eggs.

My post - a weak attempt at humour - attempted to point out that your description of your "best 8" as "counters" could cause a little confusion as I, and many others, are using "counting" as referring to all rounds played for handicap purposes.

It wasn't my post you originally replied to, I never used the term "counters"...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You weren't the bloke with the spaniel at the Worsley Marriott in August last year were you? ?

The guy was putting out on the par 5 18th and we were waiting to tee off as everytime one of us would step up to the tee this bonkers spaniel would come busting out of the undergrowth right beside us. Once he'd finished he came trundling back up to get his dog.

Seemed a friendly little thing like ?.
Ha ha, no but that it was she would have been like. She ran through every bunker, across every fairway, in and out of the woods. She had the time of her life. The course was teeming with wildlife so the smells for a spaniel to follow were fabulous. I had a wonderful image of her lying next to me whilst I took a shot and then trotting alongside, as I had seen done by others. It did not go to plan though :LOL:. If you can't control your dog perfectly then you should not take them on the course with other people out there, no matter how cute they are.