How accurate are you from 150 yards?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi, as per the title I was wondering how accurate your short game is. I'm an 8 handicap golfer, fairly tidy on my game, honking when struggling.

Anyway today I managed to get 12 holes in and as the course was quiet I decided to have a mini practice session. On 5 separate holes I dropped 6 balls on the 150 marker and it either 7 or 8 iron on each hole. Every time I was 50% accurate, three on the green, three missed. Distance from the pin ranged from 4ft to 25 feet. Worst miss was about 10 yards right, apart from one thin which went about 30 yards too long! Ooops.

Is this average, below or above? I would suggest probably slightly below average. If you've never tried this I recommend it. An eye opener potentially.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
From 150 in I would expect to be pretty accurate in terms of carry distance - however I can easily miss left or right. Some days I hit it lazer straight with these shots, but these days are the ones when my tee shots let me down!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
6 separate shots from 150 over the course of a round I'd expect 3 or 4 on the green and the rest leaving easy chips.

6 in a row from the same spot, 4 or 5.

Hard to put a guess on how far from the flag, but from that distance I'd be very happy inside 20'.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah! so that's why i keep landing in a line of loosely replaced divots 150 yards from the green. Note , lay up short of 150.:rofl:
Use the practice area please.:confused:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ah! so that's why i keep landing in a line of loosely replaced divots 150 yards from the green. Note , lay up short of 150.:rofl:
Use the practice area please.:confused:

Maybe my course doesn't have a practice area!

The course was also empty and I was not holding anyone up. Also how do you know that I'm not a "sweeper" of the golf ball and I just graze the top of the grass?

Thanks for the input though, it was very helpful.

@ Tab, thanks for that. Your stats look roughly familiar as my misses were all right, non left. I think I'm probably an average Joe from 150. However with a bit of work I'm confident of improvement.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi, as per the title I was wondering how accurate your short game is. I'm an 8 handicap golfer, fairly tidy on my game, honking when struggling.

Anyway today I managed to get 12 holes in and as the course was quiet I decided to have a mini practice session. On 5 separate holes I dropped 6 balls on the 150 marker and it either 7 or 8 iron on each hole. Every time I was 50% accurate, three on the green, three missed. Distance from the pin ranged from 4ft to 25 feet. Worst miss was about 10 yards right, apart from one thin which went about 30 yards too long! Ooops.

Is this average, below or above? I would suggest probably slightly below average. If you've never tried this I recommend it. An eye opener potentially.

TBH just dropping 6 balls and hitting them one after another is not the same as playing separate shots on the course so i doubt its going to give a true average.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll join with the GameGolf stats from 125-150

21% short
8% left
18% right
11% long

Not good enough I think is the answer!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Checking my game golf I am at 72% from 125-150yds. With 22% either missed short or long. Meaning I am pretty accurate in terms of direction

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
According to Game Golf I'm 54% from 125-150 yards. 25% short, 5% left, 18% right and 4% long.

Mid irons is deffo an area I want to work on as my wedges are relatively strong as I’m 85 % <100yds.

I’m concentrating on my driver for now as looking to increase my fairway accuracy. Hitting too many out of the fluffy stuff.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking up my GG stats, I'm...

125-150 yards

56% with 20% short. Equal 12% left and right and only 4% long.