Holed or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Holed or Not

• Total voters

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is the downside of the varying methods of dealing with the cup at the moment. With the initial metod (cup upside down) it was simple, if it hits the cup it is in. With the cups that are very shallow, things like this are far more likely. Under the current rules, that would not be holed but I am sure that there are those that would disagree as there is little doubt the ball would have dropped if the hole was set up as normal pre covid.. As such, during a competition, I are pretty sure you will find a disparity in that some groups will call that holed, right or not, and others will not.

This is one situation where it would help if the R&A did a few short youtube videos for clubs to post so as we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
This has been explicitly stated as ‘holed’ in the guidance we were given for the raised cups (“Any ball to fall below the edge of the hole, hit the safe retrieval plate and come out is to be considered holed”)... not sure if that is the case because it was part of the guidance the club was given by the authorities, or just common sense to help with speed of play/Covid avoidance etc in social golf

D

Deleted member 15344

This has been explicitly stated as ‘holed’ in the guidance we were given for the raised cups (“Any ball to fall below the edge of the hole, hit the safe retrieval plate and come out is to be considered holed”)... not sure if that is the case because it was part of the guidance the club was given by the authorities, or just common sense to help with speed of play/Covid avoidance etc in social golf

I know a number of clubs brought out guidance in regards being holed for social play etc but not sure if that’s the same for comps etc - I certainly wouldn’t say it was holed in a club matchplay or comp

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There may be some temp rules just now but it’s still golf. This is holed all day long and I wouldn’t have the ‘boldness’ to call it anything else

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
We've got no comps at the moment, so in a friendly knock about we have been calling those holed.
I think if comps where to be started they would have to reduce the amount of foam in the hole or come up with another solution. As I'd not count that as holed in a comp.

Mandofred

Visit site
For me....not in. We were having a few arguments at the beginning of all this about whether it even hit the cup and popped out. Some were saying it hit and bounced out....others said they couldn't tell.....and I'm a mean bastard and always say if it doesn't stay in, it's not in. But I got evil stares again today because I won't give a gimme unless it's a foot or less. But yes, in a way.....that putt would have dropped without the cup causing it to bounce out.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Why is he attempting it anyway? It clearly is within gimme distance ;-)

OK, if I play by myself I call this holed. If it bounces of the flag I don't, but this was clear in and out so I would take it.
If in a game of kind I hope there would be a group consensus of how to call it, but currently in these conditions I wouldn't be fussed if overruled.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not holed. We're not playing formal competitions yet, but we have virtual swindle going - and in that, the ball has to be at rest in the cup.

The solution seems to be to set the (upside-down) hole liner a bit deeper in the hole. We had them quite shallow to start with and quite a few balls came out again. Set them a bit deeper a few days ago (such that the top of a holed ball is now pretty much level with the lip of the hole) and haven't heard of any balls not now staying in. (Still easy to retrieve the ball without touching the flag).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Holed for me. If it bounces out less than 6” then, imo, it would have stayed in the hole if it was a standard pre CV setup.
Those that are quoting ball at rest below surface are right in the old world but they need to remember this is the new normal

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm with not holed on the simple basis that it is where a ball comes to rest that is important not how many and what things it hits getting there.

As others have said players would be claiming every lip out as holed.

I am fairly sure from memory there used to a decision on this based upon a toad in hole (not the sausage variety ) which jumps out of the hole after the ball lands on top of it and thereby brings the ball out with it.

What is every bodies view on that one?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm with not holed on the simple basis that it is where a ball comes to rest that is important not how many and what things it hits getting there.

As others have said players would be claiming every lip out as holed.

I am fairly sure from memory there used to a decision on this based upon a toad in hole (not the sausage variety ) which jumps out of the hole after the ball lands on top of it and thereby brings the ball out with it.

What is every bodies view on that one?
It is quite obviously an upturned hole liner so why is everyone making comments as though it is a normal hole?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Regardless of whether it's a normal hole, an upturned liner or a hole with the foam in it.....the ball hasn't stopped in the hole or with some part of it below the playing surface.
If that is being seen as holed then every lipout and every time the ball does that, no matter how fast it's going, has to be considered holed as well.

Mandofred

Visit site
It is quite obviously an upturned hole liner so why is everyone making comments as though it is a normal hole?
Not sure I understand your question. Obviously the original point was that it would have dropped into the hole if it had been a "normal" hole. It's not. So.....do you consider that ball that went into the hole, hit the upturned cup and bounced out......a holed putt. I don't consider it made.