Holed or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Holed or Not

• Total voters

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure I understand your question. Obviously the original point was that it would have dropped into the hole if it had been a "normal" hole. It's not. So.....do you consider that ball that went into the hole, hit the upturned cup and bounced out......a holed putt. I don't consider it made.
My point is, if it were a normal putt into a normal hole then the question wouldn’t have even been posted, or if it were there would have been one response and thread closed. We all know the ball must be at rest with some part of it below the surface.
In this case it is not a lip out, it hits the bottom of the upturned cup and pops out. The question to everyone was would you say this is holed under the current conditions. And if I was playing with anyone who said it wasn’t holed I would probably think twice about playing with them again

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This has been explicitly stated as ‘holed’ in the guidance we were given for the raised cups (“Any ball to fall below the edge of the hole, hit the safe retrieval plate and come out is to be considered holed”)... not sure if that is the case because it was part of the guidance the club was given by the authorities, or just common sense to help with speed of play/Covid avoidance etc in social golf
Yeah, this. I believe the R&A stated that with the shallower cups during the pandemic, if the ball clearly hits the base of the shallow cup it counts as holed, even if it bounces out. So it's holed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah, this. I believe the R&A stated that with the shallower cups during the pandemic, if the ball clearly hits the base of the shallow cup it counts as holed, even if it bounces out. So it's holed.
have you got this statement ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My point is, if it were a normal putt into a normal hole then the question wouldn’t have even been posted, or if it were there would have been one response and thread closed. We all know the ball must be at rest with some part of it below the surface.
In this case it is not a lip out, it hits the bottom of the upturned cup and pops out. The question to everyone was would you say this is holed under the current conditions. And if I was playing with anyone who said it wasn’t holed I would probably think twice about playing with them again
Seriously...! A bit dramatic dont you think...
On occasions, in normal play with normal holes, a ball will hit the bottom of the cup and bounce out.....is that holed.?
A ball hit from 100 yards out bounces on the upturned cup like in the example but bounces out and goes in a bunker....is that holed..?

Mandofred

Visit site
You would hate playing with me then. Our groups were getting arguments about just this type of putt. These putts weren't always making an audible noise. There very much were questions about whether the ball bounced off the bottom of the upturned cup.....or not. For a short period we were using upturned cups and we were supposed to count it if it hit the flag. Other arguments came out of that as well. One guy I played with hit a long chip that ran like hell and bounced off the bottom of the flag. NO WAY that ball would have gone in a hole....but by the rules we were playing by....it counted. No argument from me.....that was the rule we were playing by. It's just setting things up for arguments about whether they "counted" or not. There were a few people getting a bit pissed off because others weren't agreeing with them when they thought the putt should have counted. If the rule is that the ball has to stay in the cup.....no chance for disagreements.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry I don't keep a portfolio of golf rulings. I read it recently and remembered it using the power of memory.

Well if it’s a ruling then surely it will be there at your club when they sent out the updated rulings ?

I have checked the R&A and there doesn’t seem to anything along the lines of what you suggest so maybe it was a local club ruling as opposed one from the R&A

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At my place with upside down cup - that was holed according to the ruling we had in place.

However, we've gone to foam tube in the hole to allow the ball to drop. On Saturday one of my playing companions had his 2nd shot on our par 4 4th hole bounce straight into the hole on it's 2nd bounce, and straight back out again off the foam. Was that holed? Apparently not we were later advised.

Well should his eagle 2 have stood?

No matter - on our par 4 8th I holed my 2nd shot from 60yds - and it stayed in the hole. At the same time one of my companions also birdied it, and our third player lipped out from 6ft for a birdie. Would have been a nice little three ball clutch of scores - though 4-3-2 was still good.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seriously...! A bit dramatic dont you think...
On occasions, in normal play with normal holes, a ball will hit the bottom of the cup and bounce out.....is that holed.?
A ball hit from 100 yards out bounces on the upturned cup like in the example but bounces out and goes in a bunker....is that holed..?
Not the scenario, not the question so a pointless point - if there is such thing!

Imurg

Visit site
Not the scenario, not the question so a pointless point - if there is such thing!
So a ball hit from 100 yards that bounces in the cup and rebounds away....is it holed....because based on your logic it is....and I doubt anyone would say that it is.
You can't have a rule that differentiates the outcome based on the speed the ball is going.
It's either in the hole, or partly, or it ain't.....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It looked just like that - but it wasn't his mega-spin that bounced the ball out - just a bit of foam :)

I was inclined to say no - our #3 in the 3 ball was very much a yes.

But on the OP - a def yes at our place if the ball hits the flag when the cup was upside down it's holed according to the ruling we had in place. If it lips out by hitting the rim of the upside down hole then the club ruling was that it's not. Looking at the OP video I don't think the ball hit the flag - it hit the rim of the upturned cup - and so 'as was' at our place - not holed.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t the hole have to be a certain depth according to the rules?

Of course it’s holed.

Normally yes, but according to the R&A during the pandemic situation:

"A method of inserting the hole liner to be used that means that all of the ball does not fall below the surface of the putting green and can be easily retrieved by handling the ball only."

And, from CONGU for QRs:

" Flagsticks/Holes: If clubs have made the decision to modify the depth of the hole to allow players to remove the ball without touching the flagstick, scores will be acceptable for either competition or supplementary score purposes. In such cases, the ball is considered holed if any part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green, even if not lodged against the flagstick. "

OP answered.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It looked just like that - but it wasn't his mega-spin that bounced the ball out - just a bit of foam :)

I was inclined to day no - our #3 in the 3 ball was very much a yes.

But on the OP - a def yes at our place - if the ball hits the flag when the cup was upside down it's holed. If it lips out by hitting the rim of the upside down hole then it's not.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind betting there are a few arguments there - sounds like a case for VAR.

Imurg

Visit site
Normally yes, but according to the R&A during the pandemic situation:

"A method of inserting the hole liner to be used that means that all of the ball does not fall below the surface of the putting green and can be easily retrieved by handling the ball only."

And, from CONGU for QRs:

" Flagsticks/Holes: If clubs have made the decision to modify the depth of the hole to allow players to remove the ball without touching the flagstick, scores will be acceptable for either competition or supplementary score purposes. In such cases, the ball is considered holed if any part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green, even if not lodged against the flagstick. "

OP answered.
Jim.
Are you saying that if any part of the ball goes below the playing surface at any time then the ball is holed..?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Indeed there was. Before we changed to foam tube in the hole a playing partner clattered his putt off the flag way, way too hard and it rocketed away to the side - it was deemed holed. I then rolled up an almost perfect weight putt and it lipped out off the rim of the cup just below level of putting surface - and deemed not holed ... I lost the hole - hmmm. But given the circumstances pre-lockdown it really matter at all to me.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jim.
Are you saying that if any part of the ball goes below the playing surface at any time then the ball is holed..?

I'm not saying anything, just quoting.

If I was asked to say anything, it would be that the completion of the hole depends on the final finishing position of the ball - in strokeplay of course, matchplay is different because of concessions.