Holed or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Holed or Not

• Total voters

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep your memory is correct. Plays into the prevailing wind so it will be a 5-7 iron for most people. Seems to be a fairly even spread over all 4 short holes for aces. When (not if :) ) I get mine I'd like it to be on the 15th which is downhill so you can see it all the way.

I'd choose the 8th at Broadstone for a hole in one. Could just turn round and walk into the hut and buy drinks there and then !

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know what people's problem is. We're lucky to be playing at all, and one of the things that supposedly allows is to play is shallower cups. If the balls pops out of the hole because of that why can't we do the decent thing and give him the benefit of the doubt? When the likelihood is it would have stayed in a regulation depth hole? I can't believe some people's attitudes to be honest. Are you that competitive?

In social golf everyone can do what they want. But in competition golf, yes absolutely, I do try to be competitive. I find it's a big help. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In social golf everyone can do what they want. But in competition golf, yes absolutely, I do try to be competitive. I find it's a big help. :)
Be competitive in your own play, but would it really kill you to give another golfer the benefit of the doubt? I'd have thought a global pandemic might've softened people's resolve on what's really important but I guess not.

If that putt in the OP happened to someone I was playing with, I'd let him have it as holed. It clearly hits the bottom of the shallow cup and would have stayed in a regulation depth hole. I thought golf was meant to be a gentlemen's game.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be competitive in your own play, but would it really kill you to give another golfer the benefit of the doubt? I'd have thought a global pandemic might've softened people's resolve on what's really important but I guess not.

If that putt in the OP happened to someone I was playing with, I'd let him have it as holed. It clearly hits the bottom of the shallow cup and would have stayed in a regulation depth hole. I thought golf was meant to be a gentlemen's game.

I agree with your attitude that this should be viewed as holed, but in your example, if it were say a monthly medal, it's not your decision to make on behalf of the rest of the entire field.

There has to be consistency and fairness, and the only way to achieve that is to say that in order for it to be considered holed, it needs to come to rest in the hole.

Personally, I would say that ball is holed in the circumstances that golf is currently being played in.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, I'd say holed whether in a friendly knock or a competition. I'd like to think we could all have a similar judgement as to whether the ball would have dropped with a "normal" cup in place and for me that would have. Even in a matchplay comp I couldnt honestly say to someone that wouldnt have dropped.

The issue I guess is we are trying to apply the rules as they are currently written to a spec of hole that they do not cater for. Applying the rules strictly the ball is not holed, but as the cup is different I would assess what happened and make a judgement call as to holed or not. Maybe each club will have to have a new local rule to allow for whatever type of cup they have when we are back in competition mode, or just put the cups back to normal and have the risk of people touching the flagstick.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with your attitude that this should be viewed as holed, but in your example, if it were say a monthly medal, it's not your decision to make on behalf of the rest of the entire field.

There has to be consistency and fairness, and the only way to achieve that is to say that in order for it to be considered holed, it needs to come to rest in the hole.

Personally, I would say that ball is holed in the circumstances that golf is currently being played in.
Sure but if there's no published ruling or a common agreement or consensus then you're back to your moral standpoint on it aren't you? You could say no that's not holed but three other groups might have been allowing them anyway. I can only control my own response to things that happen in my presence.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If some people in the field say holed and some say not holed then the benefit of any doubt should go to the course and not the player.
And unless we get an absolute ruling from on high you're going to have that split.

Mandofred

Visit site
If you are playing with me socially.....I could care less whether you take that putt or not. Heck (I got yelled at, I'm assuming it was the h word....a little more info would be nice), you can write down birdie on every hole if you want without putting out at all. I'll just be working on my own game. But......if it is for "real"....either for money or for Medal type situation......there HAS to be a ball dropping into the cup. There is no argument that way. No chance of argument. That's why there are supposed to be no gimme's in a Medal (even though I hear some people do it anyway....). You gotta hit that sucker into the hole...... Now, I really really don't like gimme's. That ends up getting silly at times with people. I've seen too many people being "nice" to others and giving putts of 2 and even 3 feet or more.....my rule is I won't give anything outside one foot. Tough if you don't like it. You are supposed to get that ball into the hole.....you are lucky if I give that 6 inch putt to you. If the cup is shallow, that's part of the game. You KNOW that if it goes in too fast it might easily pop out.....it's the same for everybody.....deal with it and hit it the correct speed. A foot or more past the hole is too fast in this situation......adjust.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Took a quick pic of what our course has done with the holes. It's not overly pretty, but so far it's working pretty well. You just stick your putter part way into the tie and pull it up....easy. pindevice.jpg

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Putt Buddy can go take a jump. As well as them being awful to putt into, I witnessed a hole in one being denied by one leaning due to the added weight and a slight breeze which didnt leave enough room for the ball to drop.
It gently rolled into the pin but deflected back around 3 inches so only had dsad weight. Gutted for the guy.
20200611_234932.jpg

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putt Buddy can go take a jump. As well as them being awful to putt into, I witnessed a hole in one being denied by one leaning due to the added weight and a slight breeze which didnt leave enough room for the ball to drop.
It gently rolled into the pin but deflected back around 3 inches so only had dsad weight. Gutted for the guy.
View attachment 31159
They do make the flag thicker.
But that’s unlucky.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wouldn't a simple solution be to call it holed if it rolls over the upturned cup like the clip, or bounces off the flag, but lands within a card length distance?
That way its the same for everyone. Outside a card length? Not holed, tap it in to finish the hole.

Mandofred

Visit site
Wouldn't a simple solution be to call it holed if it rolls over the upturned cup like the clip, or bounces off the flag, but lands within a card length distance?
That way its the same for everyone. Outside a card length? Not holed, tap it in to finish the hole.
Then there is room for disagreement. The whole point of the million rules in golf is that it is supposed to take misinterpretation/argument out of the equation. Did it hit the flag? Did it just nick the flag? One person is sure it hit...another says it missed. If the ball is sitting in the cup/hole/upside down cup.....pretty hard to argue about that. I played with a guy right before lockdown, the club had a rule that you just had to hit the flag. This guy hit on to the green from probably 50 yards away.....ball rolling like crazy and it hit the flag.....it counted(because that was the rule). It stayed pretty close to the flag.......if not for the flag it would have rolled completely through the green and off.

For social golf, just agree whatever you want before you play. Use the card method.....whatever. For a comp......there needs to be no room for argument.

We've been joking about this while we've been playing. People who are getting close (bouncing off flag, lipping cup etc) we joking say "Hey, that was close......you got it" (not really.....we are joking about this whole argument).