Holed or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Holed or Not

• Total voters

Mandofred

Visit site
That version is certainly "prettier" than ours....but it's the same principle. I'd be fine with just the foam insert method. I did NOT like the upturned cup version...WAY too many arguments about whether the ball had gone in or not.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hope we keep the best solution we find after the pandemic has ended, it will end the dance of flag in flag out that followed the new rules coming in.

It’s a great solution to one small but impactful part of slow play and will help clear greens much quicker.

D

Deleted member 23344

I‘m glad this is not a problem at my course now, as we have installed Putt Buddy. I hope they keep them post COVID so us seniors don’t have to bend down so often ?

https://www.puttbuddy.ie/

Eagle2

Visit site
Its a No from me...the term if only my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle comes to mind. I know its frustrating and I have had scenarios where I have thought “that would have gone in” but just like when a flag is leaning and it narrows the gap... if it doesn’t go in, its not in.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If this ever happened to me on a par 3 I'll be claiming a hole in one ;)

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our competitions are starting back up very soon. I really hope this situation is classified as 'not holed'. I don't think competitions should be decided on scores that are randomly agreed between playing partners, rather than on where the ball actually ended up.

For social golf though, that's up to those playing as it doesn't affect anyone else. But competition scores have to be based on factual events, not opinions of events.

Just my opinion. :)

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not even going to reply to that...................:cry:

To be fair, the set of beautiful par 3's you have at Broadstone aren't the easiest to hit the green on, never mind get an ace on. I'm guessing the 6th would get the most aces, but even then I don't think you can see the bottom of the flag can you ? I seem to remember it being a mid iron uphill to a partially hidden green ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not holed. We had a competition yesterday and the only provision was that if it struck the centre of the flagstick and bounced out it was deemed holed only if everybody else agreed . As it happened this only occurred once when a PP hit a 3 footer and it hit dead centre at a sensible pace and bounced back towards him and would definitely have gone in under normal circumstances
This “ definitely would have gone in under normal circumstances “
Is the problem for me .
How many times have you heard “ I thought that was definitely in “ but it’s missed?
Wish I had a pound for every time I have heard that.
Nothing in golf is definite until the balls in the hole!

In the great scheme of things it’s unimportant but shows most golfers could have a discussion in an empty house.
Not holed as it’s NOT in the hole for me .

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tbh the greens are running that quick now that you kind of have to die the ball in.

Anything running at pace has a good chance of being rejected.

I dont like the idea of everyone deciding if it was holed or not.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tbh the greens are running that quick now that you kind of have to die the ball in.

Anything running at pace has a good chance of being rejected.

I dont like the idea of everyone deciding if it was holed or not.
Yes agree.
Can you imagine in a matchplay game if clubs start them up.
“That was holed “” no it wasn’t “
Pantomime on the 18th green.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes agree.
Can you imagine in a matchplay game if clubs start them up.
“That was holed “” no it wasn’t “
Pantomime on the 18th green.

Can you imagine just a normal comp. 2 players in the same group are putting together great scores and are level going down 18. Player 1 holes his put to go one ahead. Player 2 then hits the center of the flag stick and it bounces out. Player 1 then has to agree that the putt was holed and award player 2 a tie or be the dissenting voice and win outright.

D

Deleted member 3432

Let's introduce mulligans into the rules while we're at it :ROFLMAO:

I think if we have to debate what counts as a holed putt or not then it's rather too early to be playing competition golf.

Quite enjoying social rounds rather than my normal competition only golf although that might be swayed by the fact I'm playing worse than crap....:rolleyes:

D

Deleted Member 1156

To be fair, the set of beautiful par 3's you have at Broadstone aren't the easiest to hit the green on, never mind get an ace on. I'm guessing the 6th would get the most aces, but even then I don't think you can see the bottom of the flag can you ? I seem to remember it being a mid iron uphill to a partially hidden green ?
Yep your memory is correct. Plays into the prevailing wind so it will be a 5-7 iron for most people. Seems to be a fairly even spread over all 4 short holes for aces. When (not if :) ) I get mine I'd like it to be on the 15th which is downhill so you can see it all the way.

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Voted no as this exact scenario happened to me last week on our par 5 17th.
Rolled over right half of hole and bounced of the foam insert.
Swore a bit but composed myself enough to tap in the eagle putt ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know what people's problem is. We're lucky to be playing at all, and one of the things that supposedly allows is to play is shallower cups. If the balls pops out of the hole because of that why can't we do the decent thing and give him the benefit of the doubt? When the likelihood is it would have stayed in a regulation depth hole? I can't believe some people's attitudes to be honest. Are you that competitive?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not holed and not the players fault, the club should have a better method of retrieving the ball. We have had upturned cups, foam inserts and now awful Putt Buddy contraptions that block the ball more than allow it to drop when there is any breeze about at all. We have competitions starting this weekend in NI, I am not looking forward to having to putt with these things still fitted tbh.
If you can touch a petrol pump, shopping trolley, door handle, a flag is no more offensive, its up to those coming in contact to ensure they are cleaning themselves.