Hedgehog Wheels

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 28407View attachment 28407
These tracks are from ordinary summer smooth wheels. I took my trolley with hedge-hog wheels across the same area 4 times. Those tracks are not visible. The difference is immense. I just dont get the idea that hedge-hogs don't work.
This was the day before we went to Winter-wheels. I'd anticipated this & had fitted hedgehogs.
I totally see what you're saying but I read somewhere (think it was a link on here) that greenkeepers or agronomists have done research and concluded hedgehog wheels and ordinary wheels don't make a lot of difference. Seeing pictures like that its's hard to agree. My course has now roped off large parts of approaches to all the holes so trolleys and buggies now have to go a long way round via the really thick rough. Adds a bit of time but should protect areas from 50 yards and in over the winter
That approach area is now roped off as are many, many other areas of the course. These are unpresidented conditions for Oct. So much so that I've even looked for local Indoor Bowling Clubs to see us through the Winter... haha.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at the pictures, that area looks like it has been saturated by the pond overflowing and the ground should have been roped off. Hedgehog wheels, or any other would have made no difference to the surface. If you look closely even footprints have caused marks.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at the pictures, that area looks like it has been saturated by the pond overflowing and the ground should have been roped off. Hedgehog wheels, or any other would have made no difference to the surface. If you look closely even footprints have caused marks.
No overflow.... just saturated like many places that are now roped. Yes, footprints, like Summer-wheels badly mark & damage wet areas..... but hedgehogs don't, as I explained previously, having passed over that area several times without making the same marks/damage. Can only go by own experience over many years using them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 28407View attachment 28407
These tracks are from ordinary summer smooth wheels. I took my trolley with hedge-hog wheels across the same area 4 times. Those tracks are not visible. The difference is immense. I just dont get the idea that hedge-hogs don't work.
Although the wheels would have gripped better, the protrusions on the wheels will have caused depressions in the surface and compacted the earth beneath. This compaction will ultimately damage the root structure and delay regeneration. Hedgehog wheels do not spread the load, they concentrate it.

Incidentally, are there yellow lines joining the stakes around the water edge?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, depending where you look there are conflicting reports and stories about which, if indeed any, are more harmful than others, and as contributors have mentioned, no real corroborating 'official' evidence either way to be found.

My current trolley is a Power Bug and they seem only to do hedgehogs. I fitted my set yesterday and am using them for the first time ever tomorrow.

I had a chat with our green keeper who confirmed that wheel-spin from smooth wheels is the real culprit in Winter conditions, and that in his opinion either style of WWs is much better than smoothies. He has worked wonders at our place over the last year and really knows his stuff, so I am happy to comply - especially if it will bring real benefits to playing surfaces next season.

We still have some residual areas of Summer burn-off from 2018 and have just verti drained and over seeded all fairways again whilst roping off approaches as we normally do..

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although the wheels would have gripped better, the protrusions on the wheels will have caused depressions in the surface and compacted the earth beneath. This compaction will ultimately damage the root structure and delay regeneration. Hedgehog wheels do not spread the load, they concentrate it.

Incidentally, are there yellow lines joining the stakes around the water edge?
Yes, I can understand the concentrated weight argument but unsure that there'll be a lot of compaction from a bag & trolley.
On the yellow lines business..... they're not there as often as should be which inevitably leads to problems at times.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a bit in the middle on the whole hedgehog debate. My course used to insist on them then removed the requirement and I have not seen any noticeable decline in the course. That said, I do think that they serve a purpose on electric trolleys due to the wheel spin on wet areas. My course used to insist on them on push trolleys and I was not as convinced that there was a need there. If the course is so wet that a push trolley is skidding then the course should not be open.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am a bit in the middle on the whole hedgehog debate. My course used to insist on them then removed the requirement and I have not seen any noticeable decline in the course. That said, I do think that they serve a purpose on electric trolleys due to the wheel spin on wet areas. My course used to insist on them on push trolleys and I was not as convinced that there was a need there. If the course is so wet that a push trolley is skidding then the course should not be open.
Ours brought them in on electric only last year. It made a big difference. We are clay based, so plenty of mud and weak grass in the winter.
Looking at the weather outside, we could be carry only by the weekend....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had an informal chat with the STRI. They have in fact not done any formal testing of hedgehog vs flat wheels.
Their impression however is that they have an obvious benefit with traction and anti-skidding on hilly ground.

The 'dimpling' effect on sandy loam may ultimately be of benefit in the spring when over seeding as the dimples should hold the seen and prevent it being blown or washed away.The effect on mushy or clay soil could well have a longer term effect on the soil structure and cause poor root growth.
These latter effects were theoretical, as I say nor proper testing has been done but they are discussing the subject with a view of running a trial.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had an informal chat with the STRI. They have in fact not done any formal testing of hedgehog vs flat wheels.
Their impression however is that they have an obvious benefit with traction and anti-skidding on hilly ground.

The 'dimpling' effect on sandy loam may ultimately be of benefit in the spring when over seeding as the dimples should hold the seen and prevent it being blown or washed away.The effect on mushy or clay soil could well have a longer term effect on the soil structure and cause poor root growth.
These latter effects were theoretical, as I say nor proper testing has been done but they are discussing the subject with a view of running a trial.
Very interesting.... yes, very strange that they haven't looked into it, considering how much they do to enhance surfaces etc. In the past many courses would simply 'Close' during extreme conditions but nowadays even good quality Private Clubs are letting 'The course close itself'....... sign of the times I guess.

The Fader

Visit site
Our club requires winter wheels and has done for a number of years. I'm in the school of thought that if the Head Greenkeeper thinks they offer assistance to his ability to keep the course in good condition, who are we to argue?

My observation is that they protect well grassed areas such as fairways and semi rough better than traditional wheels.

Heavy traffic areas, muddy areas and designated routes are worn out whatever wheels are used.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread this.

I was at a course earlier this week and while talking to the head greenkeeper before going out he noticed the hedgehogs on my trolley.

Its fair to say he was less than impressed. Had to promise to keep the trolley in the first cuts.

His opinion was that if you need hedgehogs on your trolley then the course shouldn't be open.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our club requires winter wheels and has done for a number of years. I'm in the school of thought that if the Head Greenkeeper thinks they offer assistance to his ability to keep the course in good condition, who are we to argue?

My observation is that they protect well grassed areas such as fairways and semi rough better than traditional wheels.

Heavy traffic areas, muddy areas and designated routes are worn out whatever wheels are used.
I agree with your point about respecting what the head green keeper wants for his course but its a strange one when some say yes to hedgehogs and others say they cause more damage and there has been very little scientific research done to find a definitive answer

The Fader

Visit site
Yes, strange indeed but in the absence of scientic research, it's all about opinions and individual judgement. And who has an intetrest in funding such research outside of the wheel manufacturers - and we could make an educated guess about what their research would likely conclude!

Doctors don't agree about all things medical even with comprehensive research findings available, Economists draw differing conclusions from the same data. Judges overturn other judges decisions etc, etc.

So, in this arena I trust my Greenkeepers judgement

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am hopeful that the STRI will be starting something soon. But as with anything agricultural, it will take time to produce a result.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used my new ones yesterday and as mentioned had never used hedgehogs before.
Pleasantly surprised with them. Better traction and an all round more solid feel on the wetter ground.

Also I discovered my old smoothies weren’t in great nick when I removed them. There was a fair bit of play where they fitted onto the driveshaft so now trolley feels much more responsive.