Hedgehog Wheels

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now that they have been around for several years, does anyone know of any definitive evidence that they are of any benefit to the course in a) frosty conditions and b) wet and muddy conditions c) any other way?

Or, were clubs victims of superb marketing and now having made them mandatory in certain conditions (or carry - your choice) feel that they can't admit that they got it wrong?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fine for going up or down muddy hills.
A disaster for flat courses where they simply make compressed depressions in the ground ruining the drainage.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Both previous clubs demanded them but the greenkeepers at the Zoo aren't fussed one way or the other.
Not sure if I should make the comparison but hedgehog wheels are a bit like Brexit - some think they're wonderful, some think they're disastrous!

D

Deleted member 15344

Our greenkeeper produced a lot of eveidence from some studies and they showed that they didn’t produce as much damage and mess as the normal trolley wheels - we had two years of recommended hedgehog wheel with them being sold at cost - now it’s compulsory, of course all the greenkeeping experts in the bar believe it’s a money making scheme from the pro and greenkeeper with some members saying they will ask to see the invoices from Motocaddy

As far as I’m concerned we pay good money to an excellent greenkeeper to look after the course - if he thinks they will help and seems to work then it’s good enough for me

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had a set for about 4 seasons now.. come november they go on the motocaddy and come off about april

I have seen them work well though.. once it was muddy I had my hedgehogs on and my mate just had his normal motocaddy with no hedgehogs.. mine was fine but sometimes his wheels lost traction and just produced slide all over the grass (making mud patches)

for me ill just continue.. they were like £70 and long as I have them ill use them

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
All up trolley weight is a bigger issue. All things being equal the hogs work better...but that doesn't mean they work well ( once they get clogged up they are about the same grip but weight 2kg or so more....)

Best solution is to keep the bag and gear to a minimum if, like me, you have to use a trolley. My clic with its standard tyres isn't better than my S1 with the same bag on it from what I can discern.

And yes, carrying has a much lower footprint overall (as much because on most courses you aren't as route restrained.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find my pneumatic tyres excellent, and seeing as they're treaded like the greenstaff machinary I dont see hedgehog wheels are better.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK guys. Thanks.

No definitive answer then. The only studies that I have heard about have been "sponsored" by vested interests.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our greenkeeper produced a lot of eveidence from some studies and they showed that they didn’t produce as much damage and mess as the normal trolley wheels - we had two years of recommended hedgehog wheel with them being sold at cost - now it’s compulsory, of course all the greenkeeping experts in the bar believe it’s a money making scheme from the pro and greenkeeper with some members saying they will ask to see the invoices from Motocaddy

As far as I’m concerned we pay good money to an excellent greenkeeper to look after the course - if he thinks they will help and seems to work then it’s good enough for me
Perhaps your club (greenkeeper) should subscribe to the STRI

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing is for certain at our club. There are very few people who use then and when the course is wet you can tell where somebody using them has been.

They definitely cause more damage than the pneumatic wheels on my buggy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We were made to use them every winter but when the new head greenkeeper came in about two years ago, he said they weren't necessary and now they are optional. I've not seen anything definitive one way or the other

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Compulsory at my club. My grandad is at a posh place in London somewhere and they don't allow hedgehog wheels as they think they do too much damage.

I don't own a pair so come the winter I'm carrying, which helps me anyway as it keeps me warmer overall and I'm not route restricted.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
This year for the first time our club has introduced a new 5 stage trolley policy.
stage 1- normal, use of all trolleys and buggies allowed
stage 2- winter wheels only.
stage 3- restricted trolley use with winter wheels , must have a doctors medical exemption certificate.
Stage 4- carry only.
stage 5- course closed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Perhaps your club (greenkeeper) should subscribe to the STRI
Our greenkeeper does - the evidence is out there that show Hedgehog wheels can help and he has also spoken to people at STRI about them.

They do reduce the contact on the ground by over 60% I believe it is