Fairway Mats

evemccc

Visit site
Question re: mats, are you supposed to use a mat as is, or to use a tee through the mat to hold the mat to the ground?

I used mats for one time only, at Hoylake last month. Didn’t enjoy it as mat was 2 inches thick which messed with my head a bit as i addressed the ball?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We put mats in play for one winter about 4 years ago. There was a bit of questioning about the value at first, but that soon disappeared. We could quickly see the benefit to the course.

There was a wide selection of mats used, including members grabbing old carpet from the garage. The downside for me was carrying it around, not easy to put in your bag, but after a week or two you just got used to it and it was fine to play from. In fact a lot of the guys in our swindle really liked playing into the green from them as you got an insane amount of spin.

We’ve not enforced their use again, I don’t know why because at times the course could benefit. It certainly wouldn’t bother me if they were brought back into use.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have areas that are that bad sparse then i would expect them to be roped off from trolley use in the first place

In the 5 years I can’t ever remember going into a dimple mark off the fairway - and as it’s preferred lies then you get relief anyway

Roping of is not done where I play we use small white posts denoting where players are not permitted to take trolleys/buggies this does not stop many players ignoring them.

We only get preferred lies on areas with short mown grass.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
We didn't use mats this winter, but people were encouraged to pin down their divots with biodegradable divot pegs. I'm not sure how successful this has been, as they really only work if you take a long/deep divot that stays in one piece

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We didn't use mats this winter, but people were encouraged to pin down their divots with biodegradable divot pegs. I'm not sure how successful this has been, as they really only work if you take a long/deep divot that stays in one piece
Yeah I've come across this method in the past but still wonder if the divot will re-knit during non-growing conditions...... also some divots are in so many pieces they can not be replaced even if you can locate them..... also leads to slow play whilst you search.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Roping of is not done where I play we use small white posts denoting where players are not permitted to take trolleys/buggies this does not stop many players ignoring them.

We have roped off areas. Amazing how many people, particularly societies and some members ignore these, ride their trolley over the string and wander where they like. No respect for the long term condition

Boomy

Visit site
Don't understand the dislike for mats, a crap ball striker is a crap ball striker off either mat or grass, at least a mat will stop you getting a face full of mud.....
Embrace mats and have a course in good condition earlier in the season

100% this! Having played through winter using mats, and had games with a lot of different people my observation is that the problem isn't the mat at all.. it is the fact that people don't like 'the idea' of using them, so they then get themselves in a right old pickle before, during and after using them, "but I don't like it" "I can't hit off this" "what's the point grrrr" "I know I'll thin it off this" "The mat will go further than the ball" and inevitably all of that happens because they are that worked up about the mat they forget to try and hit the golf ball and play a normal shot. Just put the bloomin ball on the mat and focus on your golf shot as you normally would - that's it.
If the mat the club gives you is too thick or too thin do some research online and buy a mat that suits your eye/style so you have it to use anywhere you play. The key for me is focusing on the golf shot and not the mat, it is winter golf and ultimately protects the courses we want spick and span through the actual golf season.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Even we have have roped off areas, it's incredible the amount of people that take trolleys through or round the opposite side to the signed routes. Visitors are more prone to it, but it's not exclusive to them, some members do too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't get the reticence to use them, up here it's a nessasary evil and one that pays dividends. Our fairways are pristine at the moment as is the first cut. We go back to full course this week and off mats, it's been well worth the tiny sacrifice.

Also the mats allow us to play the course slightly differently. With the mats can make the most of the shorter course and get as close to the green as possible, then use the spin afforded to get close, something that I just wouldn't do during the season.

Would I prefer to play off grass, of course, but it's a sacrifice worth making to have the course at it's best during the season.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even we have have roped off areas, it's incredible the amount of people that take trolleys through or round the opposite side to the signed routes. Visitors are more prone to it, but it's not exclusive to them, some members do too.
We have significantly improved our path routes but still have some roped routing areas.
We also have a phantom rope slasher who seemingly carries a Stanley knife as a 15th club :eek::mad:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't play off mats at my current club, likely will need to at my new one. The fairways at my current one don't seem to suffer but I would rather not be getting a face full of mud, dirty clubs etc so I will fully embrace mats if necessary next winter for that reason alone.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't get the reticence to use them, up here it's a nessasary evil and one that pays dividends. Our fairways are pristine at the moment as is the first cut. We go back to full course this week and off mats, it's been well worth the tiny sacrifice.

Also the mats allow us to play the course slightly differently. With the mats can make the most of the shorter course and get as close to the green as possible, then use the spin afforded to get close, something that I just wouldn't do during the season.

Would I prefer to play off grass, of course, but it's a sacrifice worth making to have the course at it's best during the season.

Having seen the effect all the extra members has had on the greens and fairways I can see an argument for introducing them. I simply don't think members would put up with it and are very narrow sighted at times. They pay a lot of money to be a 7 day member (although competitive compared to our neighbours - thats a different conversation) and expect to rock up and play at weekends and want the course in good nick. Given some can't follow simple routes and roped off areas and the course never getting a rest, added to another wet winter and extra traffic its no surprise the course has struggled and the greenkeepers are having to work hard to get it up to scratch for the start of the season. I can see the logic but think it would be a very hard sell and given the fickle nature of golfers could see a number leaving over it

Boomy

Visit site
Having seen the effect all the extra members has had on the greens and fairways I can see an argument for introducing them. I simply don't think members would put up with it and are very narrow sighted at times. They pay a lot of money to be a 7 day member (although competitive compared to our neighbours - thats a different conversation) and expect to rock up and play at weekends and want the course in good nick. Given some can't follow simple routes and roped off areas and the course never getting a rest, added to another wet winter and extra traffic its no surprise the course has struggled and the greenkeepers are having to work hard to get it up to scratch for the start of the season. I can see the logic but think it would be a very hard sell and given the fickle nature of golfers could see a number leaving over it

Very typical of modern times.. Want everything without having to sacrifice anything to help get/achieve it.

Mandofred

Visit site
Took a pic playing today of my mat. I turn it so the smooth side is up and tap it down with my foot. It does not sit up high at all.
p.jpeg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very typical of modern times.. Want everything without having to sacrifice anything to help get/achieve it.

I would be receptive but I know many of our members wouldn't and if the club introduced it, come renewal time at the end of February (with mats still in place I would guess) many would be looking to move. I get your sentiment though.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't peg my mat down and the caribiner I use to clip it to my bag can make it a bit unstable - especially as my take away is pretty low. On occasion this has happened I've hit a beauty despite the ball being on the move - must be my hockey background!

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't peg my mat down and the caribiner I use to clip it to my bag can make it a bit unstable - especially as my take away is pretty low. On occasion this has happened I've hit a beauty despite the ball being on the move - must be my hockey background!
I use a bit of cord so my carabiner isn't directly connected to the mat (picture above), I had the same problem when I attached it directly to the mat, the mat stuck up a bit and the carabiner wouldn't lie flat...the cord gives it another 2-3 inches behind the mat when it's on the ground and stays out of the way. I have a full size carabiner.....but I could use one a size smaller than this and still snap it to the handle of the bag.